How could I mount a small camera to my pistol slide, or in front of the barrel? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How could I mount a small camera to my pistol slide, or in front of the barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #21
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2862 Times on 1655 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Shooting someone else's does not really get you acquainted with your firearm. User manuals can be downloaded from the internet (and I suggest you do that before doing anything else).

There are items in there you should read (like safety rules).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #22

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Let me guess it is your first computer as well.

http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/images/download/XDmSAFTEYMANUAL.pdf

Sorry if I am coming off as harsh. We just don't need another idiot in the news because he some how shot himself in the face with a camera. You say your a new owner who doesn't even have the pistol in hand. You already want to try and attach a camera to the slide. Just stop and think.

If you want one get one that attaches to the rail.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:56 PM   #23

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
What's a "rail?"

Old 02-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Like Tango said get one that attaches to the accessory rail.
Shot Cam

I did a similar thing with an R/C Heli.

Now that was fun. Also put it on an R/C car.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #25

Quote:
User manuals can be downloaded from the internet (and I suggest you do that before doing anything else).
No worries, it comes with.

Quote:
Sorry if I am coming off as harsh. We just don't need another idiot in the news because he some how shot himself in the face with a camera. You say your a new owner who doesn't even have the pistol in hand. You already want to try and attach a camera to the slide. Just stop and think.
Again, all I wanted to know is if this was safe, which is why I asked before I did it. I get paranoid when people point toy pistols at me, I don't want to do it if it isn't smart.

Quote:
I was wanting to get a unique view, hence the camera on the slider (which I've now abandoned).

Old 02-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
What's a "rail?"
It's where you attach a bayonet to your pistol.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:25 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8825 Times on 3820 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

Jeremiah- not intended as a slam, but sharing information-

When you fire a handgun, the slide will BRISKLY be driven to the rear by recoil. However, it was designed so that a given WEIGHT of parts is recoiling. Start changing that, and you may or may not affect the funtioning of the pistol.

Second point- the gasses that drive the bullet are set free at the muzzle- and exit the muzzle at several thousand PSI. They do not just go straight ahead- they also go out to the sides of the muzzle. Anything in the path of those gasses will not only be destroyed, but probably turned into a projectile.

Please- before you start adding this and that- take the time to learn about the basic machine you are buying. The suggestion to download the owner''s manual ahead of time was a very good one- gives you a chance to figure out what questions you still have after reading them.

Also, if you have not yet acquired them- you should not shoot without eye protection, and hearing protection. Unless you want to be like us old farts that have irreversible hearing loss, and spend a lot of time saying "What?". If you don't already have some, and if money is tight, find a Harbor Freight store. Yellow tinted safety glasses are a couple of bucks, ear muff type hearing protectors about $5. Every issue of Popular Science and The American Rifleman has a coupon for 20% off one item in the store. Go get some.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #28

Quote:
When you fire a handgun, the slide will BRISKLY be driven to the rear by recoil. However, it was designed so that a given WEIGHT of parts is recoiling. Start changing that, and you may or may not affect the funtioning of the pistol.

Second point- the gasses that drive the bullet are set free at the muzzle- and exit the muzzle at several thousand PSI. They do not just go straight ahead- they also go out to the sides of the muzzle. Anything in the path of those gasses will not only be destroyed, but probably turned into a projectile.
Ok, I see why it would be a bad idea now. Thanks for answering my question. :-)

Quote:
Also, if you have not yet acquired them- you should not shoot without eye protection, and hearing protection.
I have really sensitive ears, so I alway shoot with headphones on. Also got a pair of glasses for pistol shooting. :-)