How could I mount a small camera to my pistol slide, or in front of the barrel?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How could I mount a small camera to my pistol slide, or in front of the barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How could I mount a small camera to my pistol slide, or in front of the barrel?

I'm wanting to mount a small camera I have to the slide of my Springfield XD-45 ACP, and to the front of it.

Here is the camera

Here is a video I did where I mounted it to an arrow

For the front mount, I'm trying to do something like in this video.

For the slide mount, well, I want to put it on top of the slide, without it falling off or damaging the surface of the gun. I thought of Velcro, but I wouldn't want to mar the surface when I rip the sticky part off.

Last edited by canebrake; 02-06-2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #2

Liked 768 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 465

Not sure what you are trying to do but it sounds a little dangerous. The guys in the video you linked are using Airsoft guns...they are not real firearms! Anything attached to the slide of a 45 caliber handgun will most likely break and detach when the gun is fired...putting something in front of the muzzle while you are firing is also dangerous and unwise. Just my opinion...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #3

Right, I wouldn't be putting it in the path of the bullet, but to the side. However, if you all think it's dangerous I'll abandon the idea.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Think about just how much force is involved with the slide of a firearm flying back.

If you wanted to put it on the slide I would make sure the slide is Stainless steel as the sticky stuff may affect bluing or paint on coatings.

It would be a better idea to get a sigma, glock, xd with a rail and attach a camera to the rail.

Take a look at this site they have neat cameras.

GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports

Last edited by cpttango30; 02-06-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #5

I'm familiar with the GoPro, however this camera is much smaller, it weighs about 2 ounces. I'm guessing the force of the slider is in the same area as the force of the arrow I mounted the camera to.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9207 Times on 3972 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

The ACCELERATION of the slide is much greater than the acceleration of an arrow. Also, adding weight to the slide can affect the cycling of the gun.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #7

Ok, so is the danger here to me/the gun, or the camera? If it's the camera, I don't mind, it only cost about $12.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Do you really think someone is going to say "SURE GO FOR IT MAN"? No do you want to know why?

Because by someone saying that there is not danger. That is opening them up to liability when your dumbass attaches the camera to your gun and proceds to shoot it and you end up int he ER with one less eye and not able to ever shoot or drive again. Then you get the AAAA HA moment and say well Tango said it was not dangerous and it was. So I am going to sue him for lying to me. Oh you will say I wouldn't sue you or anyone else on here. But I don't know you from the pedophile 3 streets over. So to me your a lying SOB just out looking for a payday at my expense.

So do what you want to do and don't look to us to OK it so you can then blame up and Keith (NOTDKU) the owner of the board.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #9

LOL, I guess you answered my question then. Again, I wasn't worried about the camera, just the gun and myself.

I'm not the person who goes around suing people because of my actions. I happened to know that people have mounted other things on the slider...

So I thought it would be worth asking. Plus, just because something sounds stupid doesn't mean one should do it. I mean, imagine how much we all would have missed out if "that guy" never took his chance on eating a tomato or pineapple. Seriously, whoever thought eating a pineapple was a good idea? Those things look like inanimate hedgehogs.

Now you know more about me than the pedophile 3 streets over. ;-)

Old 02-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Oh you will say I wouldn't sue you or anyone else on here. But I don't know you from the pedophile 3 streets over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjw View Post
Now you know more about me than the pedophile 3 streets over. ;-)
What Tango means is he/we do not know you and your word is worth nothing to us (as of now). Maybe in time..