How can someone be anti-guns? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

How can someone be anti-guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 01:07 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I am originally from NY 15 min outside the 5 boroughs....alot of people are anti gun for what for them are very good reasons: they lost a loved one to guns. they have been threatened w/ a gun. The bad guys on the corner have guns...the police that harass them have guns...there isnt any upside to owning a gun If you only see them in a negative light. also in New york where Im from, the laws are so strict that people dont just own them for hobby or sport or legally own them at all, so you never get to realize the fun that guns can be to a responsible level-headed adult. I love my guns cause I was raised by a daddy from the south, but although I dont agree, I can understand why some hate guns.
Taurus PT92

Old 08-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #32
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

But that argument makes no sense. I don't hate guns. But I sure as hell hate the people who would use guns in a crime.

I'm upstate and the city I'm in is pretty liberal. The people I know who fear guns have never been threatened by anyone brandishing one. They hear about gun violence on the news and gulp down the leftist kool-aid propaganda about how "guns are evil" but the criminals who use them are "misunderstood, poor, uneducated, abused, oppressed, forgotten and suffer from low self-esteem".

Old 08-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #33

It doesnt really have to be logical or make sense a..many of us have likes and dislikes, based on what we were raised to believe and based on the influences of people that are important to us or simply media. Not always on what we have expirienced first hand. I know some people that have certain views against certain religions, not because they have studied the religion and seen how it applies to peoples everyday life. They have the negative views just b/c either, its not their daddys religion, the religion is getting bad press in the news due to some extremist ect.. I am definatley pro gun (as I own several and try to "baptize" everyone I know into the gun world), but I can also see how someone not familiar w/the culture, who has not grown up around them and only knows what the media tells them about gun can be anti..many people are "anti-what they dont understand"..its alomost human nature. Most of us do it to some degree wether it makes sence or not.
Taurus PT92

Old 08-08-2007, 08:59 AM   #34

Default outlaws will allways have guns

My gouvernement voted a law, last yaer , afther a young man with a shotgun killed 2 people, a 3 year old girl and her african nanny and wounded a Turkisch woman.

The gouvenement decided to unarm the whole off the Belgian population, only hunters and sportshooters have the right to bare arms.

The left socilist and liberal gouverment lost severe the elections, and still ask Why ???
They dont know how its feel to "donate for destruktion" granddaddys old shotgun , whitout any compensation, ritired old policeman, and officers off the law who had thers firearm as donation with there ritirement had to hand over ther old service gun at policestations for destruction!!!
And what did the gouvernement for all illigal criminal guns?? nothing

The lost the election and they still ask themselves why !!!

Sorry for my englisch

Jeff

Old 08-08-2007, 09:30 AM   #35
bkt

At least they lost the election! That's good!

Around here, there are many people who believe "all guns should be destroyed" and they start, naturally, with the guns they can destroy easily: the ones owned by people who follow the law. If taking guns away from criminals were easy (or even possible) they would do that, too.

In my state, we seem to have a constant supply of politicians who are anti-gun.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have you asked one?
I don't see how anybody here can give you a good answer unless they used to be pro disarmament. I personally do not understand the desire to meddle with another persons property or rights.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #37
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984cj View Post
Have you asked one?
I don't see how anybody here can give you a good answer unless they used to be pro disarmament. I personally do not understand the desire to meddle with another persons property or rights.
Oh, hell yes! (Not on this forum, though.) Their arguments are the same:

"Gun control laws reduce crime by eliminating guns from the streets of America; they are only used by criminals"

"In this day and age, no one needs a gun"

"'Assault weapons' have no place in our society"

And so on. All of these arguments are wrong and can be proved wrong. But when facts get in the way, these people tend to get loud, nasty and insulting. At best, they clam up and walk away.

If you have a good understanding of the facts about gun control laws vis-a-vis crime statistics, and you have a good working understanding of firearms in general, you probably won't be "anti-gun" unless you're suppressing your knowledge and letting your emotions run roughshod.