Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > how can I deal with my wife having cancer

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
akers06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,195
Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Default how can I deal with my wife having cancer

Hey guys we just found out today that my wife my have cervical cancer. She's only 25 and I'm 23 I was just wondering if any of you guys have gone through this and how you dealt with it and what I can do to console her

__________________
akers06 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tackleberry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 5,782
Liked 4516 Times on 2186 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
Hey guys we just found out today that my wife my have cervical cancer. She's only 25 and I'm 23 I was just wondering if any of you guys have gone through this and how you dealt with it and what I can do to console her
Akers, I'm very sorry to hear that, especially given your wifes young age. I believe if this is confirmed the Dr's will want to perform a radical hysterectomy which "if the cancer is isolated" can save her life and rid her of the terrible disease however, it will also mean she can no longer bear children and for a 25 year old woman, that may be more upsetting than the cancer.

All you can do is be there for her and reassure her that you'll always be there for her.

I don't know if children are in your plans but if they are, your wife could undergo the initial phases of invitro were multie eggs are harvested and frozen for future use. This would at least give you the option of using a surroget mother to carry a child that would genetically belong to both of you.

I only mention this because it worked for us, not the surrogate, but the invitro process. The ability to have a chance at her own children may make the prospect of loosing her ability to carry a child a bit more bearable.

I will pray for both of you and hope for the best.

Tack
__________________
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
akers06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,195
Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Akers, I'm very sorry to hear that, especially given your wifes young age. I believe if this is confirmed the Dr's will want to perform a radical hysterectomy which "if the cancer is isolated" can save her life and rid her of the terrible disease however, it will also mean she can no longer bear children and for a 25 year old woman, that may be more upsetting than the cancer.

All you can do is be there for her and reassure her that you'll always be there for her.

I don't know if children are in your plans but if they are, your wife could undergo the initial phases of invitro were multie eggs are harvested and frozen for future use. This would at least give you the option of using a surroget mother to carry a child that would genetically belong to both of you.

I only mention this because it worked for us, not the surrogate, but the invitro process. The ability to have a chance at her own children may make the prospect of loosing her ability to carry a child a bit more bearable.

I will pray for both of you and hope for the best.

Tack
Thanks for your prayers....we already have three kids and have decided we don't want anymore so that isn't that big off a thing she is just scared of the whole situation.....and yes hopefully the cancer is isolated and a hysterectamy will take care of it
__________________
akers06 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jordan89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Defiance,Ohio
Posts: 1,255
Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Sorry to hear that. Prayers inbound.

__________________

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

jordan89 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,327
Liked 2343 Times on 1524 Posts

Default

Sorry bout the news. I lost a few family members to this. Tell her a positive attitude is everything, stressing will lower your immune systems ability to do its job. From what I know, some docs might nor tell you either.... Cancer feeds on simple carbs(sugars), eliminate them from her eyesight. If you buy bread, get WHOLE GRAIN, research the benefits and make it a habit for everyone in the house. Fresh fruits and vegs fight free radicals in your body, which help cancer cells to reproduce. Google "superfoods", blueberries, broccoli, peppers, etc. Also, exercise helps your body heal by increasing blood flow. Finally, consult a pastor, priest, rabbi or whatever for guidance. If you haven't yet, you might be surprised.

__________________

Feral cat waterboarder

primer1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yunus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: |,Maryland
Posts: 4,698
Liked 1018 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Default

Listen to her, don't try to solve every tiny issue that comes up at this point just let her vent to you.

Look for a local support group.

With respect to what primer1 stated, I have a friend who has a brain tumor and he has a nutritionist that specializes in not only brain tumors but his specific type. I'm sure a proper diet is a big help but consult a real expert for this type of advice.

__________________

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson


Last edited by Yunus; 04-16-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Yunus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
akers06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,195
Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Thanks for the help guys....I'm trying to keep her calm and not stress and keep her going on with the day like any other day.....thanks for the prayers also....its all really overwhelming right now

__________________
akers06 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dog2000tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,309
Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Default

prayers and well wishes for you and your family

__________________

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

dog2000tj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
downsouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,009
Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Default

Man that is though. I can only offer prayers and the wisdom of a song. Keep us informed and know we want to help by atleast listening.

__________________

NEVER FORGET


Last edited by downsouth; 04-16-2012 at 06:08 PM.
downsouth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
akers06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,195
Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth
Man that is though. I can only offer prayers and the wisdom of a song. Keep us informed and know we want to help by atleast listening.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxIt70j_SPk
Thanks man and I will
__________________
akers06 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
ruger blackhawk 41 mag-deal or no deal? mtwillis Revolver Handguns 32 07-25-2013 03:43 AM
Deal or No deal, Colt Mustang SHSBulldog06 Semi-Auto Handguns 9 01-24-2010 09:31 PM