Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > how can I deal with my wife having cancer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Default how can I deal with my wife having cancer

Hey guys we just found out today that my wife my have cervical cancer. She's only 25 and I'm 23 I was just wondering if any of you guys have gone through this and how you dealt with it and what I can do to console her

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #2

Liked 4516 Times on 2186 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
Hey guys we just found out today that my wife my have cervical cancer. She's only 25 and I'm 23 I was just wondering if any of you guys have gone through this and how you dealt with it and what I can do to console her
Akers, I'm very sorry to hear that, especially given your wifes young age. I believe if this is confirmed the Dr's will want to perform a radical hysterectomy which "if the cancer is isolated" can save her life and rid her of the terrible disease however, it will also mean she can no longer bear children and for a 25 year old woman, that may be more upsetting than the cancer.

All you can do is be there for her and reassure her that you'll always be there for her.

I don't know if children are in your plans but if they are, your wife could undergo the initial phases of invitro were multie eggs are harvested and frozen for future use. This would at least give you the option of using a surroget mother to carry a child that would genetically belong to both of you.

I only mention this because it worked for us, not the surrogate, but the invitro process. The ability to have a chance at her own children may make the prospect of loosing her ability to carry a child a bit more bearable.

I will pray for both of you and hope for the best.

Tack

Old 04-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Akers, I'm very sorry to hear that, especially given your wifes young age. I believe if this is confirmed the Dr's will want to perform a radical hysterectomy which "if the cancer is isolated" can save her life and rid her of the terrible disease however, it will also mean she can no longer bear children and for a 25 year old woman, that may be more upsetting than the cancer.

All you can do is be there for her and reassure her that you'll always be there for her.

I don't know if children are in your plans but if they are, your wife could undergo the initial phases of invitro were multie eggs are harvested and frozen for future use. This would at least give you the option of using a surroget mother to carry a child that would genetically belong to both of you.

I only mention this because it worked for us, not the surrogate, but the invitro process. The ability to have a chance at her own children may make the prospect of loosing her ability to carry a child a bit more bearable.

I will pray for both of you and hope for the best.

Tack
Thanks for your prayers....we already have three kids and have decided we don't want anymore so that isn't that big off a thing she is just scared of the whole situation.....and yes hopefully the cancer is isolated and a hysterectamy will take care of it

Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #4

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Sorry to hear that. Prayers inbound.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 04-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #5

Liked 2343 Times on 1524 Posts

Sorry bout the news. I lost a few family members to this. Tell her a positive attitude is everything, stressing will lower your immune systems ability to do its job. From what I know, some docs might nor tell you either.... Cancer feeds on simple carbs(sugars), eliminate them from her eyesight. If you buy bread, get WHOLE GRAIN, research the benefits and make it a habit for everyone in the house. Fresh fruits and vegs fight free radicals in your body, which help cancer cells to reproduce. Google "superfoods", blueberries, broccoli, peppers, etc. Also, exercise helps your body heal by increasing blood flow. Finally, consult a pastor, priest, rabbi or whatever for guidance. If you haven't yet, you might be surprised.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #6

Liked 1018 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Listen to her, don't try to solve every tiny issue that comes up at this point just let her vent to you.

Look for a local support group.

With respect to what primer1 stated, I have a friend who has a brain tumor and he has a nutritionist that specializes in not only brain tumors but his specific type. I'm sure a proper diet is a big help but consult a real expert for this type of advice.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Yunus; 04-16-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #7

Thanks for the help guys....I'm trying to keep her calm and not stress and keep her going on with the day like any other day.....thanks for the prayers also....its all really overwhelming right now

Old 04-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #8

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

prayers and well wishes for you and your family

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Man that is though. I can only offer prayers and the wisdom of a song. Keep us informed and know we want to help by atleast listening.

NEVER FORGET

Last edited by downsouth; 04-16-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth
Man that is though. I can only offer prayers and the wisdom of a song. Keep us informed and know we want to help by atleast listening.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxIt70j_SPk
Thanks man and I will