How am I alive ? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How am I alive ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks for ur service mister

Old 11-26-2011, 02:33 AM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickHarrison View Post
Thanks for ur service mister
It is TRULY an honor. I thank you and commend you for your gratitude, also.

Many civilians are unaware that to US Military personnel, a simple Thank You is almost the highest honor that can be bestowed or shown to us. At least that is how it is for myself, my soldiers, and all of my close friends that have served or are currently serving.

burned3.jpg  

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Last edited by CarlsbadRanger06; 11-26-2011 at 05:48 AM.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:43 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 840 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Two times, both flying.

Newly minted IFR, and I had a fantastic weather briefing. This wasn't get home-itis, but get there itis. We were in heavy rain, engine fighting carb icing, a Lear 2,000' ft above us trying to land and having ice build up issues, a commuter plane had crashed below us trying to land. We were in a very limited layer that was slightly above freezing. Temp above and below us below freezing.

2nd time in the clouds, ZERO reported icing, IRC 20°F. Should have not been an issue, right up until I hit super cooled drizzle drops. I talked to a NASA researcher a couple of weeks later, who was shocked I was still alive. Apparently very few people have ever seen that condition and survived. I credit the flight instructor who checked me out in that plane. He was an old time stick and rudder guy and beat into me to "feel" the plane.

Whoops, three times... Chicago was getting hammered with one of the worst snow of the decade. All reports coming in were tops at 10k feet. So I'm flying at 12k. My ex wife had a thing about carb ice, and I made the fateful decision to pull the carb heat lever... Engine immediately quit. But, I had bigger problems, EVERYTHING below me was shut down due to the snow storm. The biggest airport within gliding distance, their ILS was out for an unknown reason. I made one almost bad mistake, I stopped flying the airplane while I played around with throttle and carb heat. Lost about 1,500' before the engine started running again. The carb heat cable had come loose and only 1/2 activated hot air, which made matters mucho worse.

The only thing I can figure out, my airplane loved me. The guy who I eventually sold it to, crashed it not long after he bought it. From what I could tell it was a simple aviating mistake. It was a long series of maintenance issues that forced me to sell it. Every time I flew it, I threw an additional $500 into repairing something else that broke. From the prop cable breaking and jamming at a bad RPM while taking off from OSH, to me smelling gas as I'm rolling down the runway and my g/f (now wife) saying, "something's dripping on my foot" immediately after I lift off. That was the final straw.

Last edited by partdeux; 11-26-2011 at 02:45 AM.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:32 AM   #24

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
I cant afford injection yet , i cant stop buying guns to get the 56 back on the road , in the mean time ill stick with my shotgun bills scoop

A good friend of mine , hs dad had a hot little boat with a blown 427 ,@120 he subbed it , when he woke up to folks pulling him out of the drink , all he saw was little yellow peices of the boat floating , one day ill find that wreck and get the motor , i know it worthless but it will still look cool
Yeah, they made me actually get the two halves of the boat out of the river. They said navagation hazard. One half with the motor,the transom, was about where I wrecked and sunk it, the other half, the bow, was about 12 miles down the river in a shallow underwater snag. Engine went down hot and only thing salvagable was the block and barely. Not worth finding it but here it was the law. Sold the block to some dumb a$$ that wanted it because the boat was fast. Go figure.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:39 AM   #25
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2084 Times on 1135 Posts
Likes Given: 753

Two come to mind...

First: I was 8 or 9 years old when I was thrown from my horse. The horse bolted to follow my sisters horses back to the stables. Now here's where it gets really weird. As soon as I started sliding back, I found myself standing on the ground behind my horse watching myself come of its back. When my body hit the ground, I was back at normal perspective looking up at the sky. I rolled my head to the left and was looking at a six inch root sticking up out of the ground that nearly impaled the back of my skull.

It was one of the strangest (if not the strangest) experience of my life. I can only guess that God figured he would take over for a short bit lest I get myself killed.

The second was when I rolled a quad off a 18 foot incline. I had amnesia for about 5 hours.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 11-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06 View Post
It is TRULY an honor. I thank you and commend you for your gratitude, also.

Many civilians are unaware that to US Military personnel, a simple Thank You is almost the highest honor that can be bestowed or shown to us. At least that is how it is for myself, my soldiers, and all of my close friends that have served or are currently serving.

That looks like it was extremely painful. Thank you for your service and everything you went through for this country.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

That looks like it was extremely painful. Thank you for your service and everything you went through for this country.
I second that. Takes a special person to do that kind of work

Old 11-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I was stabbed in the lung and top portion of my heart at the age of 17.
Never heard of 'your life flashes before you' until I saw my entire
life, word for word, act for act, flash slowly before me. Bleeding
through my mouth, nose, and open chest wounds I went to a place
that was so beautiful, so peaceful, so unbelievably alive with friends
there who had passed before, that upon recovery in the hospital
afterwards the experience and memory haunts me so that I cannot
fear death no matter what may come. For that world 'over there' is
awesome.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #29

Liked 1046 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 540

And the DAMN IT AWARD GOES TO ......

Quote:
I was on an OP in the Paktia Province in Afhganistan in 2009 when a Russian rocket came out of nowhere and hit our tower.

It impacted, where we also had a 10 gallon propane tank with a camping heater lit. Never thought they would know we were in there. It was the middle of the night when we got into it, the screens on the windows were black out screens so nobody could see in during the day, least of all at night.

When the rocket hit, it exploded, and also ignited the propane bottle, along with an AT4, 2 boxes of .50 cal ammo, and everything else that was flammable.

The soldier that was in the OP with me was somehow able to open the bottom hatch and dropped the 30 ft to the ground. He broke both legs and had some superficial schrapnel wounds, bruises, and some other minor wounds......

I wasn't so lucky.......

I wasn't able to get out of the OP Tower. I passed out, not sure if it was from the pain, smoke inhalation, shock, or a combination of all three.....

Fellow soldiers that seen the OP Tower get hit said that the bottom burned out and I fell to the ground where the Medics got me and I was MEDEVACED by chopper to Kandahar and finally wound up in the burn center in Ft. Sam Houston......

They told me it seemed like 5 or 6 minutes before they saw me hit the ground.

ANYWAYS......

I was burned on 61% of my body. The doctors put me in a medically induced coma for 2 months, 1 week, 3 days..... I had severe smoke inhalation along with a broken femur and humerus. I also fractured my spine and knocked out 7 teeth on a rock where my face hit the ground.......

I was in WRAMC for a little over 5 months. I went to physical rehab and had a few skin grafts from cadavers (is that spelled right? lol)... Yeah, GROSS, I KNOW!

When I was getting ready to leave WRAMC, I was given my choice of 3 duty stations/assignments. Sniper Instructor at Ft. Benning, Drill Sergeant wherever I was needed, or Recruiter.

I didn't quite think that, being burned and all and having a couple scars on my face would attract new soldiers, or give basic trainees the proper impression or aspirations of the Army; since I was already Sniper/SOTIC qualified, I took the Instructor position.

I wonder every day why I'm still alive.... I guess that God has a higher calling and mission for me. I thank him for that everyday, as well as the awesome Medics, Corpsman, and Doctors that healed me.......

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

I was stationed at Ft Hood it was saturday Jan 9 2010 I was at my buddies house in Killeen returning a engine jack I borrowed to move a 350. We were talking about different pistols because I was talking about getting one we had returned from Iraq not to long ago and I still bad a mess load of money burning a hole in my pocket. So his jacka$$ roomate decides that he has to show me his S&W m&p 40 So he showing off his prizes piece when all of a sudden BOOM it goes off in his hand. Everybody is scared ****less and I'm looking for a hole in the wall and he is staring at my stomach with this I'm a F ing retard look. At this point my knees got weak and I fell I just realized he shot me in the stomach. So I start using every colorful word I can think of cause I'm scared as hell. My buddy grabs a CLS bag and starts doing first aid on me while dumbass that shot me is standing there all confused yanter my buddy tells me to put pressure on it while he calls 911. Fast forward 11 months I get out of the hospital after many many surgeries and learning how to walk again. Dumbass is lucky I didn't press charges he got his a$$ whooped by every one in my unit though so he got his.

If you ain't CAV you ain't ****