Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How am I alive ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1097 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Got knocked out stopping an AK round with my helmet. Fallujah Iraq 2005.
Got knocked on my ass stopping 3 of them with my SAPI in Afghanistan clearing a cave system.
mine werent quite that close...

mortor landed about 20 ft from me but didnt go off. and during a firefight the marine that was 2 feet next to me took shrapnel in the neck. and i didnt get any.

then add the jeep wreck after i got home that year. lol
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #12

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I can't help but laugh at dud mortars. I had a good friend that had one land about 10 feet away-dud. The next day he had another land almost right between his feet-another dud. 2 days later, he lost 2 toes when another one actually managed to hit his foot-another dud. When that last one crushed most of his foot, he just sat down and said "F*** it, I give up. Send me home, I'm sick of this S***."

Old 11-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #13

Helicopter crash when I was 25.
Maintenance test flight, and I was the new mechanic just coming on duty.
Engine quit and pilot totally messed up autorotation. Main rotor blades came down and chopped tailboom off, but could have been the other way around and be-headed us both, so maybe he did it right?
10 seconds from the engine out warning till impact, but seemed like an eternity!
And, yes, you see your whole life in those few seconds.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 11-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #14

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Oak tree over hitting the injection scoop , eff that had to hurt !
Shat... it knocked me out in the boat inicident. Wife at the time, who was on shore, swam out , turned me face up, got me back to shore and worked to revive me. Wasn't the scoop either. Hit the back of my head on the Enderlee buzzard catcher injector which was on top of the supercharger.

Engine was a stroked big block Chevy to 510 cu. in., developed 1080 H.P. on dyno at 7200 rpm, and boat was a 18' Performance brand, model "Gull Hull" drag racing style boat.

Last edited by mrm14; 11-25-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #15

Liked 966 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 523

I cant afford injection yet , i cant stop buying guns to get the 56 back on the road , in the mean time ill stick with my shotgun bills scoop

A good friend of mine , hs dad had a hot little boat with a blown 427 ,@120 he subbed it , when he woke up to folks pulling him out of the drink , all he saw was little yellow peices of the boat floating , one day ill find that wreck and get the motor , i know it worthless but it will still look cool

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was on an OP in the Paktia Province in Afhganistan in 2009 when a Russian rocket came out of nowhere and hit our tower.

It impacted, where we also had a 10 gallon propane tank with a camping heater lit. Never thought they would know we were in there. It was the middle of the night when we got into it, the screens on the windows were black out screens so nobody could see in during the day, least of all at night.

When the rocket hit, it exploded, and also ignited the propane bottle, along with an AT4, 2 boxes of .50 cal ammo, and everything else that was flammable.

The soldier that was in the OP with me was somehow able to open the bottom hatch and dropped the 30 ft to the ground. He broke both legs and had some superficial schrapnel wounds, bruises, and some other minor wounds......

I wasn't so lucky.......

I wasn't able to get out of the OP Tower. I passed out, not sure if it was from the pain, smoke inhalation, shock, or a combination of all three.....

Fellow soldiers that seen the OP Tower get hit said that the bottom burned out and I fell to the ground where the Medics got me and I was MEDEVACED by chopper to Kandahar and finally wound up in the burn center in Ft. Sam Houston......

They told me it seemed like 5 or 6 minutes before they saw me hit the ground.

ANYWAYS......

I was burned on 61% of my body. The doctors put me in a medically induced coma for 2 months, 1 week, 3 days..... I had severe smoke inhalation along with a broken femur and humerus. I also fractured my spine and knocked out 7 teeth on a rock where my face hit the ground.......

I was in WRAMC for a little over 5 months. I went to physical rehab and had a few skin grafts from cadavers (is that spelled right? lol)... Yeah, GROSS, I KNOW!

When I was getting ready to leave WRAMC, I was given my choice of 3 duty stations/assignments. Sniper Instructor at Ft. Benning, Drill Sergeant wherever I was needed, or Recruiter.

I didn't quite think that, being burned and all and having a couple scars on my face would attract new soldiers, or give basic trainees the proper impression or aspirations of the Army; since I was already Sniper/SOTIC qualified, I took the Instructor position.

I wonder every day why I'm still alive.... I guess that God has a higher calling and mission for me. I thank him for that everyday, as well as the awesome Medics, Corpsman, and Doctors that healed me.......

myarmsin2010.jpg  

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Last edited by CarlsbadRanger06; 11-26-2011 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Figured I'd toss in a pic of my arms a year after they were burned.....

Old 11-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #17

Intriguing story

Old 11-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #18

I remember bein younger in my innocent youth pobaly 4-5 my bro jump out the back of the truck while my dad was driving very slow he was showing off so it was my turn i jumped out n landed on my side my head hit the hard gravel/rock knocking me out i had a severe concussion my dad drove alittle ways till he notice no kids my bro looked at me like wtf n tryed to fall asleep witch ment death my dad was freaking out he hauled butt in the truck 20 miles to elgin to miccy dees from are country home in the knobbs to get ice n applied it to my head the whole way there he was shaking me keepin me awake i turned out fine but that was almost my end.

The other time a latter came out from under neith me while leaned against a tin wall it was my fort when i was 7 lol as it came out i grabbed for the top of the wall but missed and the tin cheese graited my right wrist cutting to the artery blood squirted every where i almost fainted running to the house my bro the same one n only one patched me up till my g-ma got there n took me to wacos emergency room . I love the scar its ba and u shaped

Old 11-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #19

This my beast scar haha the U stands for my fist U want this!! Lmfao

image-1981359334.jpg

Old 11-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveth
Intriguing story
Well thanks. I guess? I know there are better out there. I was extremely blessed to have made it. Heck I was left with the blessing of being able to continue life as a Soldier. I know many men and women that either didn't live or, if they did, we're sadly left completely handicapped, etc.....

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton