Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   How am I alive ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/how-am-i-alive-52405/)

MobileMarine 11-25-2011 04:56 PM

How am I alive ?

Post your near death experiences , we all have one or two and some have quite a few .

I was about 14 and me and dad were moving these 40ft containers around full of new tires here at the shop . We were on the last one and the heaviest , It was full to the gills with new tractor trailer tires and wheels so yea it was heavy .
We had them hooked up to our biggest tow truck , a holmes 750 on a ford L9000 , for some reason we had one end picked way up in the air , which is not task for the rig we were using . Dad told me to grab something that was under it and move it . Ok so I run under it , grab said object and as soon as I was stepping back the main chain broke and the container skinned my arm on the way down .
Close call , very close call

We were at a bad wreck involving a dump truck that had ended up wrapped around a oak tree head on. Well as some of you may know , the Firemen are suppose to cut the battery cables on arrival , the did not do it this time and it almost killed me . We had started pulling it back and I had walked in front of the truck after it cleared the tree , well something shorted out the starter on it and that damn thing cranked back up and was trying its best to eat me . I somehow managed to scramble thru the vines and growth on to the other sdie of the tree '' which it ran back into . It stalled out again and caught fire after that but I voiced my displeasure with the firemen on that one after they scrambled to cut the leads .

Giveth 11-25-2011 05:12 PM

I haven't really done anything spectacular enough to result in what I would consider 'near death' but I did have a car fall off a jack while I was under it. I never moved so fast in my life. I didn't even think twice I just saw it start moving and I was out from under it in under a second...in fact I don't recall giving it any thought. It's pretty amazing actually, its like my body just went autopilot and saved myself. My mind was focused on finding that coolant leak. The others were just very stupid and drug related, if I was close to death I wouldn't have realized it. I am interested to hear the stories of others

orangello 11-25-2011 05:35 PM

I came reeeeally close to drowning a couple of times, same river, but generally, i've been pretty lucky.

MobileMarine 11-25-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

I came reeeeally close to drowning a couple of times, same river, but generally, i've been pretty lucky.
Beer involved ? Or was a bear after you , hence your love for bears ? lol

TimKS 11-25-2011 06:39 PM

When I was a kid in grade school, we were running out to a playground on the other side a highway. I didn't look for traffic and when I got to the center line, for some unknown reason I stopped as a car whizzed by only inches away. (My guardian angel had to work overtime.) ;)

gutz47 11-25-2011 06:40 PM

Car accident when I was 22. A 16 year old girl new to drving ran a stop sign and broadsided me at 65mph. Broke all rids on my left side, broke my pelvis in three places, tore up my liver and splean, punctured and partially deflated left lung. I didn't walk for four months. Spent two weeks in icu. Doctors were amazed how quickly I healed up. GMAC insurance took great care of everything. Even payed me all my lost wages from missing work. I actually made more money laying in bed than I would have working full time. And what did my 22 year old dumb a$$ do with all this money? I blew it all on dumb $hit. A few guitars, a playstation, way too much herb....but hell, if I'm stuck at home on my a$$, I need to keep entertained. I just regret not having the love for firearms then that I do now. I could've bought a few nice guns with all that loot. Ah well, lesson learned. Next time I nearly die, buy more guns!

mrm14 11-25-2011 06:50 PM

1971 run a 1969 RPO Z-28 Camaro into a oak tree at 140+ mph.... Racing on country road. Oh almost forgot the speed boat accident in 1982.. flipped it several times just over 100+mph. Near broke neck on injector hat atop a GMC 10-71 supercharger when I was flipped out of boat.

orangello 11-25-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobileMarine (Post 635653)
Beer involved ? Or was a bear after you , hence your love for bears ? lol

Nope, haven't canoed sober since; feel that is a jinx for me.

MobileMarine 11-25-2011 07:14 PM

Oak tree over hitting the injection scoop , eff that had to hurt !

trip286 11-25-2011 08:49 PM

Got knocked out stopping an AK round with my helmet. Fallujah Iraq 2005.
Got knocked on my ass stopping 3 of them with my SAPI in Afghanistan clearing a cave system.