Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How About A New Hobby?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Believe me... you have no idea how disorienting it can be flying over water, in hazy conditions, at night. Been there, done that. There is nothing in your vision which gives you an indication of what is up or down, and when that happens, your brain will just start making stuff up.

A couple years ago I was up with my instructor doing some mock instrument work. We were climbing straight ahead, but as soon as we entered the cloud and everything went gray, my brain determined we were actually making a climbing right hand turn.

If someone is not used to flying on instruments, which JFK Jr was not, those conditions are absolutely deadly.
I know, just messin around. I believe dads pilot buddies call it "SPATIAL-DIS" or something like that. If you spend enough time around pilots, you start to learn the lingo, its almost like the have their own language. As a kid,about once a month we would fly to a small airport a couple hundred miles away that had a restaurant in it for breaksfast with a bunch of dads pilot buddies. They would come from all over the place, i got to know some really cool people. But thats why dad only goes up on "CAVU" blue bird days.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 03-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 832 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
I know, just messin around. I believe dads pilot buddies call it "SPATIAL-DIS" or something like that. If you spend enough time around pilots, you start to learn the lingo, its almost like the have their own language. As a kid,about once a month we would fly to a small airport a couple hundred miles away that had a restaurant in it for breaksfast with a bunch of dads pilot buddies. They would come from all over the place, i got to know some really cool people. But thats why dad only goes up on "CAVU" blue bird days.
The old $100 hamburger... more like $250 today.

I seldom flew in CAVU, enjoyed the technical challenge of LIFR