How About A New Hobby? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How About A New Hobby?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I always said there were two difficult aspects of learning to fly:
I would add a 3rd, knowing when not to fly.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:00 AM   #72

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I bet it impressed them even more if he didn't show up in a van with purple deep pile shag carpeting on all interior surfaces, that and the big peace sign painted on the sides.

Kind of difficult for the pilot to screw in a Cessna 110.
LOL.... Yea, just ask JFK jr, he had his wife, and her freaky sister with him when he crashed into the ocean, they said he was not able to see the horizon, and he was not instrument rated, but come on..... A 5yr old could read an altimeter. He was in a pile with them sisters, and forgot to fly the plane.....

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 03-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #73
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8458 Times on 4900 Posts
Likes Given: 11023

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
LOL.... Yea, just ask JFK jr, he had his wife, and her freaky sister with him when he crashed into the ocean, they said he was not able to see the horizon, and he was not instrument rated, but come on..... A 5yr old could read an altimeter. He was in a pile with them sisters, and forgot to fly the plane.....
As titillating as that scenario might sound it is incredibly difficult to fly in zero visibility if you are not instrument rated. I am not a pilot but I have flown small planes (with a pilot sitting in the left hand seat), it is very easy to become disoriented when visibility goes to zero, which was the case with JFK Jr.

In either scenario, what a way to go!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #74

Quote:
As titillating as that scenario might sound it is incredibly difficult to fly in zero visibility if you are not instrument rated. I am not a pilot but I have flown small planes (with a pilot sitting in the left hand seat), it is very easy to become disoriented when visibility goes to zero, which was the case with JFK Jr.

My dad has his license, been up in single engines many,many times. Pre-flight, takeoffs, landings, take some knowledge, skill, and attention to detail. Once the plane is in the air, any tard can fly it. You have 2 guages to watch, airspeed indicator, and altimiter {artificial horizon} Have you ever been in the middle of getting a bj while driving on the highway ?... and realized you are going 20mph... ? Imagine trying to fly a plane, thats what happened to him, Let me explian it to you, to get an erection, the penis must fill up with blood, that blood must come from somewhere, there is no "extra" blood, so where do you think it comes from ? Gravity is in play here, it comes from the highest point, which would be the brain, so while he was playing "hide the sausage" with the girls, his brain was starved for blood. Airspeed dropped too low to keep the plane in the air, by the time he realized it, he was not skilled enough re-gain control. FAA reports said the plane hit the water in a flat spin, which would be indicative of the scenario i have described.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Last edited by readygirl; 03-11-2012 at 06:09 AM.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #75
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8458 Times on 4900 Posts
Likes Given: 11023

Quote:
My dad has his license, been up in single engines many,many times. Pre-flight, takeoffs, landings, take some knowledge, skill, and attention to detail. Once the plane is in the air, any tard can fly it. You have 2 guages to watch, airspeed indicator, and altimiter {artificial horizon} Have you ever been in the middle of getting a bj while driving on the highway ?... and realized you are going 20mph... ? Imagine trying to fly a plane, thats what happened to him, Let me explian it to you, to get an erection, the penis must fill up with blood, that blood must come from somewhere, there is no "extra" blood, so where do you think it comes from ? Gravity is in play here, it comes from the highest point, which would be the brain, so while he was playing "hide the sausage" with the girls, his brain was starved for blood.
OK, I think I'm gonna pull out of this one. No offense meant nor taken.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #76

Quote:

LOL.... I agree he was probably "disoriented" , and visibility IS at zero when motorboating a set of 40s.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #77

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Cars, if your into that.

Working on them is a given:

but you get to drive it!

photography:

Karting - yes, there are indoor/outdoor leagues, and its a very challenging sport:

Archery! I'm just a beginner but love it.

so much out there, I hope you find what makes you happy!

Do not assume anything.

Last edited by goretro77; 03-11-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #78
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2223 Times on 1201 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Quote:
Believe me... you have no idea how disorienting it can be flying over water, in hazy conditions, at night. Been there, done that. There is nothing in your vision which gives you an indication of what is up or down, and when that happens, your brain will just start making stuff up.

A couple years ago I was up with my instructor doing some mock instrument work. We were climbing straight ahead, but as soon as we entered the cloud and everything went gray, my brain determined we were actually making a climbing right hand turn.

If someone is not used to flying on instruments, which JFK Jr was not, those conditions are absolutely deadly.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 03-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #79
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Believe me... you have no idea how disorienting it can be flying over water, in hazy conditions, at night. Been there, done that. There is nothing in your vision which gives you an indication of what is up or down, and when that happens, your brain will just start making stuff up.

A couple years ago I was up with my instructor doing some mock instrument work. We were climbing straight ahead, but as soon as we entered the cloud and everything went gray, my brain determined we were actually making a climbing right hand turn.

If someone is not used to flying on instruments, which JFK Jr was not, those conditions are absolutely deadly.
I was in severe clear over Lake MI, essentially day dreaming when suddenly the airplane hit a small section of clear air turbulence and brought me back to RW. I had to fight my physical feelings to get the plane back on course and straight and level.

the technical aspect of IFR flying is relatively easy, the emotional side of ignoring feelings and using the instruments to cross check is the more difficult side.

Think I mentioned it before, but when I was extremely current, my flying was "tight", as financial conditions made it more difficult to get up, I noticed a sloppiness building up to the point where ILS approaches looked like a road course. That was why I have not gone back and even rented a plane.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #80
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2223 Times on 1201 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
I was in severe clear over Lake MI, essentially day dreaming when suddenly the airplane hit a small section of clear air turbulence and brought me back to RW. I had to fight my physical feelings to get the plane back on course and straight and level.

the technical aspect of IFR flying is relatively easy, the emotional side of ignoring feelings and using the instruments to cross check is the more difficult side.

Think I mentioned it before, but when I was extremely current, my flying was "tight", as financial conditions made it more difficult to get up, I noticed a sloppiness building up to the point where ILS approaches looked like a road course. That was why I have not gone back and even rented a plane.
I hear ya.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA