How About A New Hobby? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How About A New Hobby?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 12:55 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

You could try gourmet cooking. Not exactly exciting, but you get somewhat fast results, and there are literally millions of recipes you can try, or you could create your own. It can either be easy, or so hard you feel like banging your head against the wall.

There is also BBQ competitions.

If you want to stay with guns, try competitions. There are competitions for just about every kind of shooting.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 03-06-2012 at 01:11 AM.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #42
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1979 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 587

My wife and I like to kayak and I fish from a kayak. There are kayak plans and kits you can build yourself. There are also the skin on frame used by the Inuit that you can build yourself. If you like to build things it is an interesting way to go. I built one from cedar strips and fiberglass. My son has it now. We paddle an average of 3 days a week year around. We were out this morning. The picture is of my wife in her kayak taken 1 year ago.

003.jpg  

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 03-06-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 AM   #43

I love kayaking. We try to go the Beavers Bend Ok every year, and will usually go kayaking while we're there. I love going through minor rapids, and over small waterfalls that are there. I may have to look into building a kayak. How hard/expensive are they to do?

Old 03-06-2012, 02:41 AM   #44
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1979 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Lots of variables concerning use, design, kit or plan, materials. Skin on frame is cheapest and lightest. They are pretty tough. A white water boat is much different than a sea kayak and a coaster (exploring rock gardens or heavy surf) is different again. The Inuit boats were built for hunting. I have a sea kayak and sit on top fishing boats. It is usually 1/2 the cost or less of the price of a quality boat. I had about $1k in the one I built but it would have been $3k in factory fiberglass. A skin on frame can be built for a few hundred. The msrp on my wife's kayak is $3500 (it is kevlar and weighs 42#) and the paddle is another $400 or more (carbon). There is basically no real cost after you have your gear except for transportation. My sea kayak is 11 years old and the only expense has been about $20 for some strap clips, bungeee and deck lines.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-06-2012, 02:58 AM   #45
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2142 Times on 1165 Posts
Likes Given: 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
Do you have yours? It's always something I've been interested in.
Got my private pilot license on my 19th birthday. It was by far the best possible way to get dates in college.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 03-06-2012, 03:01 AM   #46

Thats a little pricier then I thought it would be. I guess since you don't have to pay for gas, its not that bad. I may go find a tree, cut it down, and have it cut into boards (Theres a guy close to hear that would do it pretty cheap) and let it dry. That would drastically cut down on the price. Theres plenty of pine, cedar, and oak (post oak, red oak, and white oak) around here. I have been wanting to build a kayak, or a boat for a while now. I just never got around to getting the wood.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #47
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8274 Times on 4781 Posts
Likes Given: 10701

How about taking up beekeeping? I do that and it can keep you pretty busy.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #48

Liked 429 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Lots of good suggestions everyone! Just haven't found that one thing that instantly speaks to me. I better hurry and find an idea soon or I'm going to succumb to the iPad 3 fever that is spreading around me.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #49
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5668 Times on 2960 Posts
Likes Given: 375

my other hobbies are reloading, xbox360, old movies, fishing, and taking my two babies to car shows

there is also welding and woodworking, kinda roles into guns and cars at times.

im not terribly good at fishing welding or woodworking but dabbling in it is fun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #50

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
my other hobbies are reloading, xbox360, old movies, fishing, and taking my two babies to car shows

there is also welding and woodworking, kinda roles into guns and cars at times.

im not terribly good at fishing welding or woodworking but dabbling in it is fun.
Nice rides.

What do you play on xbox?

Everybody needs a little Devastation!