How About A New Hobby? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

How About A New Hobby?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1389 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Oh, you're never supposed to do that. It's far more fun as long as you are blissfully ignorant of how quickly you're turning cash into exhaust.
I wouldn't trade the money I turned into exhaust for anything in the world. i had a blast, visited places I would have never visited, did things I would have never done, and added another skill to the tool set. But, once i sold, i was done. Part of the problem, besides the obvious money issue, was I had the opportunity to fly as part of my work. I was extremely current and very IFR capable, to the point where I could have easily passed the flying part of the ATP exam. Approaches strictly in the doughnut! After divorce, and no longer flying for business, it began to scare me at how quickly I was getting sloppy... That and my rock solid Mooney suddenly became a maintenance nightmare. Every time I flew, I was throwing at least another $500 bill repairing something else. Sad part, during that time frame I had considered getting my commercial, and very good friend of mine wanted me to do it in something other than my plane, with a good point. I knew that plane inside and out, we flew like one. One flight over Lake Michigan, I was day dreaming and gazing off into the distance... When my plane jostled me back to the IP to discover in a slight bank, and had been vearing off course. Like hey DumbA, wakeup, LOL.

But I digress, flying is a lot of fun, if you can afford it, just be sure you understand the associated costs.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #32
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Maybe you could build your own small airplane and then fly that. No license needed for "experimental" kit planes, is there? I have always wanted to do this.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #33

Liked 431 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
Maybe you could build your own small airplane and then fly that. No license needed for "experimental" kit planes, is there? I have always wanted to do this.
That would be an ultralight that doesnt require a certification. My dad has one currently and had owned at least three others that I can remember. They scare the crap out of me! He uses a gravel county road for a runway. Takeoffs are no problem but landing is a completely different story, especially of there is a little wind.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
What about music? Guitar, drums...decent stuff can be had pretty cheap, learning to play is fairly easy (it's learning to play WELL that's the bi*ch) and lots of folks make or mod guitars and drums in tons of ways.
I've always said you can play loud or you can play good!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #35
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 702 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Get your pilot's license.

It's not super expensive... just expensive.
Do you have yours? It's always something I've been interested in.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1389 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
Do you have yours? It's always something I've been interested in.
Go to your local small airport and talk to the flight school. Plan on a minimum of 60 hours of flight instruction, about 1/2 to 2/3 with an instructor. There will be ground school, equipment, and physical.

It's a blast, and I will often long to fly when I see an airplane flying by.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #37
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I collect meteorites, ancient coins (usually of a particularly interesting era), paleolithic artifacts, study history, collect antique and modern blades, sharpen blades as best I can (and they get pretty goddamn sharp), learn prepper/survivalist skills, and, when I'm not a lardassian as I am right now, run/jog trails. My knees aren't what they were when I was younger, so I'm getting back into biking this spring.

Making wine is also a nice pass-time.

Oh, and every now and then I try to keep up with current events by reading every friggin' news source on the net two or three times a day. (Therein lies my sickness.)

Old 03-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #38

Liked 744 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

What about building custom fishing rods, my brother builds some high end ones. Wives will have them built for hubbies birthday/christmas/etc. Now he's started to build up a customer base, makes some good side cash, and loves to build them. Look at MUDHOLE.COM, i think that is one of the places he gets supplies.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #39

Liked 93 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Been kicking the idea around for a while now. Buying guns and building my collection has been my biggest hobby for many years. But I've recently gotten to the point where I just can't think of a gun I just "have" to have for my collection. Plenty of guns that I'd like to own, but nothing I can't live without.

So now I'm trying to think of a new hobby. Nothing super expensive or ridiculous. But I'm having trouble thinking of a new hobby. Any suggestions?
Do you hunt?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #40

Liked 849 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 257

If you have some machinist skills then how about building a Gatling gun? That would keep you busy for awhile and the plans/w materials are around a thousand.