How About A New Hobby? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How About A New Hobby?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
What about music? Guitar, drums...decent stuff can be had pretty cheap, learning to play is fairly easy (it's learning to play WELL that's the bi*ch) and lots of folks make or mod guitars and drums in tons of ways.
I play guitar already.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfrage

Get into a pilot Co-op and share a plane. Makes it extremely reasonable.
$5000 to $7000 just to get my certification here. No co-ops or flying clubs in my area. $150/hour to rent a 172 or $30,000 for a decent OLD 172 to purchase. Plus insurance, plus the annual, plus hangar rental. May not be super expensive to some, but that is for me.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113
All my hobbies are expensive; shooting, riding, and golf (well not golf so much anymore) so I dropped my business paperwork and I'm working on my FFL and I'm gonna try and make some money so I can support those hobbies!
Love to get my FFL, but heard you can't do it out of your home. I don't have a separate building to use.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #24
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
I made the mistake of adding up total expenses of just owning a plane over 10 years. It was a really really really ugly number. Had a blast, would do it again in a heart beat, but flying is EXPENSIVE and not the feint of heart
Oh, you're never supposed to do that. It's far more fun as long as you are blissfully ignorant of how quickly you're turning cash into exhaust.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 03-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #25

Liked 1244 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 792

glass bead making. all you need is a torch and some other tools. cost are fairly reasonable. my sister does this has for ten years. she just bought a kit and started playing.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #26

I have been homebrewing for over 5 years now. Its the best hobby around. There is nothing like the feeling of taking your first drink of your homemade beer. A basic homebrew setup can be had for under $200.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #27

I guess I should try to be more specific since lots of members here are trying to help me. I think a big motivator for my hobbies is being able to find something that I can work on. Gun collecting gave me a way to work on finding new guns that I liked and then find a way to save more them and locate them. I started learning to play guitar several years ago. I wanted to teach myself how to play and I did. In the process, I had 5 electrics and 2 acoustics. But once I learned how to play, I accomplished my goal and sold all of my guitars except one. I just wanted to see of I could do it and I did.

I like the idea of building a cannon because it gives me something to work toward, the goal of a finished project. But I think that project is too small and I'd accomplish my goal in just a few months and then the exciting part would be over. I like the idea of restoring an old car or tractor, but I'd like to find something that is at least useable in the current condition. That way I could get some initial enjoyment out of it and provide a motivation to make it better. I'm think an initial investment of under $5000 would be okay.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #28

How about a hotrod / rattrod project they can be had for 5 k
image-3333234934.jpg  

Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodz32
How about a hotrod / rattrod project they can be had for 5 k
That would be awesome, but my mechanical knowledge is limited so I'm not sure how feasible that would be if I don't know how to do a majority of the work myself. A not-so-popular classic car would be cool if I could drive it right off the bat and save up a little at a time to start restoring it. I drive 70 miles a day round trip to work, so something small, but cool would be nice for a daily driver even.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1325 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
$5000 to $7000 just to get my certification here. No co-ops or flying clubs in my area. $150/hour to rent a 172 or $30,000 for a decent OLD 172 to purchase. Plus insurance, plus the annual, plus hangar rental. May not be super expensive to some, but that is for me.
since most people don't get their license until 60 hours (42 here ), 60*$150 in plane rental alone is a really big number.