Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   How About A New Hobby? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/how-about-new-hobby-59458/)

Olympus 03-05-2012 03:18 AM

Been kicking the idea around for a while now. Buying guns and building my collection has been my biggest hobby for many years. But I've recently gotten to the point where I just can't think of a gun I just "have" to have for my collection. Plenty of guns that I'd like to own, but nothing I can't live without.

And my second biggest hobby has been making grips. Been doing that for almost 5 years now and I'm starting to get burned out. It's turned into a job that I almost dread instead of a fun hobby. So I'm seriously considering limiting my production of grips this year.

So now I'm trying to think of a new hobby. Nothing super expensive or ridiculous. But I'm having trouble thinking of a new hobby. Any suggestions?

ScottA 03-05-2012 03:23 AM

Get your pilot's license.

It's not super expensive... just expensive.

c3shooter 03-05-2012 03:49 AM

Myself, I enjoy collecting small, steel engraved portraits of famous Americans. Lincoln, Hamilton, Jackson, Grant and Franklin are my favorites. :p

Assuming that you still have some interest in firearm RELATED things- how about cartridge collecting. You can make it as complex as you want, and as expensive as you want. Getting a single specimen of common rounds of today will get you started on a fair sized project- but here's the catch- you have to research and read up on the cartridges. Everybody knows about the 30-06- but why is there one with a bullet make of Bakelite- and what was IT used for? And what the heck is a 30-03? Yeah, heard of the Linebaugh BIG revolver loads- who was/is Linebaugh?

If you stay away from the uber rare stuff, like Crispins and .600 Nitro Express rounds, it can be fairly inexpensive- good learning experience.

On the other hand, you could go fishing.

jordan89 03-05-2012 03:51 AM

I enjoy making steel targets. Just started reloading, it has been fun. Thinking about taking up casting too.

As far as non firearms related...video games, camping, bushcraft...the list goes on.

texaswoodworker 03-05-2012 04:33 AM

Woodworking, leather craft, and blacksmithing are all cool things to learn. They can be sort of cheap, to extremely expensive depending on what you do.

dragunovsks 03-05-2012 05:10 AM

I got a buddy that flies rc airplanes, i went a watched him and some of his pilot friends and those planes are awesome. They had a couple jets there going well over 150 mph and they sound like real jets too. Its uber-expensive tho, at least the jets are. I hear most cost upwards of 12k.

I just have an rc helicopter i fly in the house, lol

texaswoodworker 03-05-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 729383)
I just have an rc helicopter i fly in the house, lol

lol, you got that $30 one too. I cannot get that thing to stay in the air for more then a few seconds (maybe a minute on a good day). :D

jimogden1984 03-05-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

lol, you got that $30 one too. I cannot get that thing to stay in the air for more then a few seconds (maybe a minute on a good day). :D

I had one of those till a crash landing took it out of commission...it was way easier to control when the battery was half charged

Olympus 03-05-2012 11:32 AM

I did r/c trucks in college, the nitro versions. Too dang tedious. Spent more time working on the truck to get it running right than I did driving it.

Tried leathercraft last year and I was terrible. I'm not very artistic.

Thanks for the other suggestions though. I will give them some thought. I was also thinking about buying an old classic tractor and restoring it a little at a time.

bkt_tater 03-05-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus
Been kicking the idea around for a while now. Buying guns and building my collection has been my biggest hobby for many years. But I've recently gotten to the point where I just can't think of a gun I just "have" to have for my collection. Plenty of guns that I'd like to own, but nothing I can't live without.

And my second biggest hobby has been making grips. Been doing that for almost 5 years now and I'm starting to get burned out. It's turned into a job that I almost dread instead of a fun hobby. So I'm seriously considering limiting my production of grips this year.

So now I'm trying to think of a new hobby. Nothing super expensive or ridiculous. But I'm having trouble thinking of a new hobby. Any suggestions?

You could start making long bows or recurve bows. I'm thinking about making myself one. And if it turns out good them making a few more. It relates to woodwork and to hunting.