Horse therapy for PTSD
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Horse therapy for PTSD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 03:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Default Horse therapy for PTSD

Thought some members here might be interested:

An Alberta program that uses horses in the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder in veterans received a $150,000 boost on Monday.

Can Praxis, which runs its equine therapy program on a ranch near Rocky Mountain House, received the donation from Wounded Warriors Canada, an Ontario-based charity focused on veterans’ mental health.

The amount is a dramatic increase from an initial $10,000 Wounded Warriors gave Can Praxis when it started up last year — a recognition, said the charity’s director, that the program works for its participants.

“We took a leap of faith as an organization, to see how this would work,” said Wounded Warriors Canada executive director Scott Maxwell.

“The feedback has been nothing short of amazing.”.........

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Program+treat+post+traumatic+stress+disorder+with+ horses+gets+boost/9491729/story.html

It does make some sense when you think about it. Horses pick up on things.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #2
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1111 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post

An Alberta program that uses horses in the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder in veterans received a $150,000 boost on Monday.

Can Praxis, which runs its equine therapy program on a ranch near Rocky Mountain House, received the donation from Wounded Warriors Canada, an Ontario-based charity focused on veterans’ mental health.

The amount is a dramatic increase from an initial $10,000 Wounded Warriors gave Can Praxis when it started up last year — a recognition, said the charity’s director, that the program works for its participants.

“We took a leap of faith as an organization, to see how this would work,” said Wounded Warriors Canada executive director Scott Maxwell.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Program+treat+post+traumatic+stress+disorder+with+ horses+gets+boost/9491729/story.html

I know nothing about the outfit in Canada but horses can be wonderful for people with disabilities. There is a horse barn around here that caters to kids with disabilities. My cousins daughter is essentially a 9 month old trapped in a 15 year old body, I mean that literally she has the physical and mental abilities of the average 9 month old. I can't remember the "syndrome" and likely couldn't spell it anyhow.

She goes to this horse barn once or twice a week and it is the best she is all week, she sits up a little straighter when on the horse and is just "better" while she is there. You are right these horses sense these kids and act accordingly. A lot of dogs are the same way.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Horse therapy for PTSD

We have one here near us, one of our friends rides and volunteers some of her time there...I have seen it work. My 4-legged is my personal support therapy dog...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
People Like This 
Old 02-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7813 Times on 4689 Posts
Likes Given: 9825

I volunteered at a Hippotherapy barn in 2003-2004. I love horses and I don't have one now. I wanted to be around horses again and I volunteered at the horse barn that worked with mentally and physically delayed children and young adults. My job was cleaning stalls, watering and tacking up the horses for their sessions. Not only were these children better while they were there, but in many cases they made major advancements in their abilities due to riding and working with the horses. It was INCREDIBLE!! Many animals have a way of bonding and communicating with humans.

People Like This 
Old 02-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #5

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

My wife went through a bout of depression/PTSD a couple years ago and her therapist had her try equine therapy which really helped. There were beautiful horses at the ranch but she bonded with this poor old thing that looked like it had had a rough life. I went with her one time and she talked to that old horse while braiding its mane for the whole session. Her therapist and the guy who owned the ranch had never seen any one do that! Anyway, it was very helpful and I highly recommend it.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

People Like This 
Old 02-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

I seem to have a weird relationship with horses. The ones everyone say are sweet usually end up biting me (that hurts) and getting punched for it, the ones Nobody else can approach tend to love me. I had one that used to try to bite other people and we (the horse and I) would both laugh. Lol
He had to be put down a few months ago. I loved that old guy. My brother learned he has the same relationship the hard way, one of the sweet horses grabbed him by his shoulder blade and threw him across the barn.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 02-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #7

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

It's great to see a private effort like this started by a veteran and working out for other veterans. We've had too many suicides and more government "programs" don't do much except spend taxes and hire bureaucrats.

Rocky isn't far from me. It's in western Alberta around where I hunt elk in what we call "West of the 5th" - hillbilly country. The country west of the 5th Meridian tends to be a heavy redneck area. It's just the sort of place something like this would be dreamed up and take hold. I've put out a contact to see if I can help in some way.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 02-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2152 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 801

I have no experience with veterans. I got involved with autistic children and horses. The volunteer has to really be dedicated. When you volunteer you are making a six month commitment to that kid. The kids get really attached to the horse handlers. If you miss a day the autistic kid jumps to a conclusion that you are not coming back and the kid feels like it's their fault. Apparently autistic kids get dumped by a lot of people. If the horse they ride is sick they are a handful but they can see the horse and they know the horse is sick. It is a satisfying experience. I would think helping veterans would be just as satisfying.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

People Like This 
Old 02-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9543 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Old quotation

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.

Duke of Beaufort, a great horseman

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 02-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3757 Times on 2083 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
We have one here near us, one of our friends rides and volunteers some of her time there...I have seen it work. My 4-legged is my personal support therapy dog...
I have a veteran living in my building who has a dog for this reason.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.