Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Horse meat inspection ban lifter in the u.s.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I would eat horse. I couldn't eat rat. Tree rats (squirrels) are OK in my book, but not the true rats. I don't think anyone should be prevented from eating rat. I probably wouldn't shop at the grocery store that carried rat though.

What I don't understand is why Congress effectively outlawed horse meat by not allowing horse meat inspections by the USDA (by law any meat that will be sold for human consumption must be slaughtered in a USDA inspected slaughterhouse and a USDA inspector must be present at the facility). What was the need for that ban? Horse meat is widely accepted as a delicacy in many cultures. Where does the government get off telling us what we can eat as long as it isn't another person or an endangered species? I think the government should stay the Hell out of our dining rooms.
I think government should stay out of our lives all together

Old 12-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #22

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
I would eat horse. I couldn't eat rat. Tree rats (squirrels) are OK in my book, but not the true rats. I don't think anyone should be prevented from eating rat. I probably wouldn't shop at the grocery store that carried rat though.

What I don't understand is why Congress effectively outlawed horse meat by not allowing horse meat inspections by the USDA (by law any meat that will be sold for human consumption must be slaughtered in a USDA inspected slaughterhouse and a USDA inspector must be present at the facility). What was the need for that ban? Horse meat is widely accepted as a delicacy in many cultures. Where does the government get off telling us what we can eat as long as it isn't another person or an endangered species? I think the government should stay the Hell out of our dining rooms.
I've had true rat, and nutrian (spelling?) Which some people call swamp rat. I thought both were purdy good eatin.

One thing my parents have told me (there horse ranchers by hobby) right now there are so many "junk" horses (by that they mean unregistered) out there that they are supposedly starting to become a nuisance in some places, almost unsellable, and many are even being given away. They've given away 3 in the past few years, and those were registered and from good blood lines.

If horse meat has been good enough for the human race since the beginning of time, then it's good enough for me today.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #23

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OK, I like French cooking!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7332 Times on 4250 Posts
Likes Given: 9444

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
I think government should stay out of our lives all together
+10 for truth!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #25
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5633 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 4718

Quote:
Where does the government get off telling us what we can eat as long as it isn't another person or an endangered species? I think the government should stay the Hell out of our dining rooms.
Same place they get off putting warnings on cigarette packs and banning the marijuana. At a drunken high school party, they would be the idiot pissing in the potted plant in the corner and bitching about water shortages.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 12-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
At a drunken high school party, they would be the idiot pissing in the potted plant in the corner and bitching about water shortages.
I never heard that guy bitching about water shortages, he always wanted more beer!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #27

I wonder what Spotted Owl tastes like?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #28
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5633 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 4718

Quote:
I wonder what Spotted Owl tastes like?
like chicken perhaps?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 12-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #29

Liked 111 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 229

I didn't think that many people would eat Horse-Meat...I don't think I would eat any,till somebody BBQ'd some with-out me knowing-it,and I ate it and liked-it..I guess it's the idea of Horses on my Calender every year,and my Coffee Mug..If I was hungry anuff,I'm sure I'd eat anything.......

Old 12-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #30

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I didn't think that many people would eat Horse-Meat...I don't think I would eat any,till somebody BBQ'd some with-out me knowing-it,and I ate it and liked-it..I guess it's the idea of Horses on my Calender every year,and my Coffee Mug..If I was hungry anuff,I'm sure I'd eat anything.......
Hey, one of my greatest companions throughout my teen years, and as loyal as my best dog, was a horse. I renamed him Methusala because he got so old. He was somewhere around 30 when he died.

But, fact is, they're prey animals. They were meant to be eaten like cattle, deer, buffalo, elk, so on and so forth. It was just some industrious people one day decided to ride some, and the habit kind of stuck.