Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Horse meat inspection ban lifter in the u.s....... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/horse-meat-inspection-ban-lifter-u-s-52815/)

LONGHAIR 11-30-2011 09:33 PM

Horse meat inspection ban lifter in the u.s.......

Horses could soon be butchered in the U.S. for human consumption after Congress quietly lifted a 5-year-old ban on funding horse meat inspections and slaughterhouses could be up and running in as little as a month...I can't see Horse-Meat in my meat dept.of the local food-store..The newspaper said with the bad economy,people will eat horse meat,with the price cheaper then the other meats on the rack...It just can't happen???...CAN-IT???....:confused:.....:(......Would...YOU...EAT-IT....?????........

Bizdaddy 11-30-2011 09:42 PM

My boss worked on a ranch in the 70's and he likes to tell the story of the night one of the guys was massively impressed with the stew the cook had made. The guy asked the cook what cut of meat it was cause he'd just found his new favorite. The cook told him it was the horse they'd had to put down earlier that day lol. My boss said it was dang good meat. Would I eat it? Depends if I knew what it was beforehand.

winds-of-change 12-01-2011 06:59 AM

Up until just a couple years ago, there was a horse processing plant in DeKalb, Illinois. It was the last one in the USA. They sold the meat to Belgium.

freefall 12-01-2011 07:11 AM

My father in law said moose meat tasted a lot like horse. They eat the heck out of it in Canada and Europe. Sure I'd eat it, we eat pigs don't we? How can a horse be less appetizing?

Muliemaster 12-01-2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freefall
My father in law said moose meat tasted a lot like horse. They eat the heck out of it in Canada and Europe. Sure I'd eat it, we eat pigs don't we? How can a horse be less appetizing?

If the price of hay keeps goin up I will be eating ours, ill let ya know lol

Muliemaster 12-01-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LONGHAIR
Horses could soon be butchered in the U.S. for human consumption after Congress quietly lifted a 5-year-old ban on funding horse meat inspections and slaughterhouses could be up and running in as little as a month...I can't see Horse-Meat in my meat dept.of the local food-store..The newspaper said with the bad economy,people will eat horse meat,with the price cheaper then the other meats on the rack...It just can't happen???...CAN-IT???....:confused:.....:(......Would...YOU...EAT-IT....?????........

Nothin like quarter horse tenderloins, tender emmmm emmmm ,good hell people eat mcdonalds so why not horse. Sounds like dinner to me

hairbear1 12-01-2011 08:13 AM

There are a lot of feral horses shot here in Australia and a lot end up as pig bait but there is an export market for the meat to Europe and for our feral camels,kangaroo's and pigs there is also a market for them in Europe and Arabia.

Muliemaster 12-01-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairbear1
There are a lot of feral horses shot here in Australia and a lot end up as pig bait but there is an export market for the meat to Europe and for our feral camels,kangaroo's and pigs there is also a market for them in Europe and Arabia.

Food is food if im hungy I eat, dont care if its horse, goat , pig , deer, cat if its good eat it

gunnut07 12-01-2011 03:47 PM

Horses are good for 2 things Glue and Dog food. Now they might be good for 3 things.

In my eyes horses are worthless. I would eat one in a heat beat.

Trez 12-01-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muliemaster (Post 640762)
If the price of hay keeps goin up I will be eating ours, ill let ya know lol

HAHA.. same here!! I dont see a problem eating a horse. One year we sent some of ours to France for the same thing...