Honest Question For Sports fans - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Honest Question For Sports fans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Really you don't see it in racing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=rEn6zJpXry8&NR=1

Any time you have men in a competitive sport there is going to be fighting.

As for fans. I have been to a few NHRA races and a few NASCAR races and there are always fights. Mostly drunken swinging (Two Drunks just swinging wildly at one of the 4 other guys in front of them) fights that don't do anything other than cause the two involved to look like drunkin morons.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9080 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
Really you don't see it in racing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLf-ny2I-SY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWFtvkrh5PE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyvsmQOYpOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlCDsjJcThs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=rEn6zJpXry8&NR=1

Any time you have men in a competitive sport there is going to be fighting.

As for fans. I have been to a few NHRA races and a few NASCAR races and there are always fights. Mostly drunken swinging (Two Drunks just swinging wildly at one of the 4 other guys in front of them) fights that don't do anything other than cause the two involved to look like drunkin morons.
Yes, I did not see any fistfights between racing drivers when I worked in that field. Not one. A couple of heated arguments yes, but never a fight. I am talking about the fans, not the competitors on the field.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #13

You are showing examples of heated exchanges between racing drivers. I am asking about brutal attacks on fans by fans of the opposing team in the stands and that sort of thing.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:23 AM   #14

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
I have an honest question for all of you ball and stick sports fans out there. How can a fan of any team in any sport hate another team or fan of another team so much as to attack them? (http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/06/giants-fan-bryan-stow-in-induced-coma-as-los-angeles-police-chas/) Isn't that what the game is supposed to determine, meaning which team is better at the game? Beating a fan of another team in the parking lot is just barbaric.

Seriously, the way I see it many sports fans have a rabid hate of all other teams and their fans. If it were not for the other team there would not be a game to begin with!

I am not a fan of the ball and stick sports by any means (I do enjoy going to games though), I am a fan of motorsports though, mainly Formula One racing. you don't see that sort of garbage in racing, or at least not in the racing that I follow.
I don't believe all fans are like that. It's kind of like saying every time some idiot shoots up a building that all gun owners are murders. Some people are just heartless....

Old 02-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I don't understand fans' violent actions. I am all for some good-natured trash talking among my friends during football season, but it is all in fun. After all, it's only a game!

It doesn't help when kids see their parents behaving badly from a young age. If their idea of sportsmanship is dad cursing at the referee, heckling children on the opposing team, and yelling at the coach for not letting the kid play the whole game, it is little wonder they grow up to be such bad sports. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT one of those people who things that 'every kid should get a trophy because every kid should be the winner.' However, I think every kid should be taught that sportsmanship is just as important as winning.

I think it boils down to too much pride and a lack of respect and self-control. (Though this seems to be a problem with society in general, not just at sporting events.) Throw a little alcohol into the mix, and you have guys beating each other bloody over a game they are not even watching anymore! I have seen it happen at a football game or two in college. I sure don't understand it.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22239 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
I don't understand fans' violent actions. I am all for some good-natured trash talking among my friends during football season, but it is all in fun. After all, it's only a game!

It doesn't help when kids see their parents behaving badly from a young age. If their idea of sportsmanship is dad cursing at the referee, heckling children on the opposing team, and yelling at the coach for not letting the kid play the whole game, it is little wonder they grow up to be such bad sports. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT one of those people who things that 'every kid should get a trophy because every kid should be the winner.' However, I think every kid should be taught that sportsmanship is just as important as winning.

I think it boils down to too much pride and a lack of respect and self-control. (Though this seems to be a problem with society in general, not just at sporting events.) Throw a little alcohol into the mix, and you have guys beating each other bloody over a game they are not even watching anymore! I have seen it happen at a football game or two in college. I sure don't understand it.
very well said and telling of human nature. i agree, sports and alcohol sometimes don't mix!

Old 02-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think you'll just find a$&holes everywhere. Any sport. That many people in one place, 2 douche bags are sure to get into it.

I used to rope calves in the PRCA. Every rodeo I was in direct competition with some of my best friends. Half of us used the same horse. If you knew the pen of calves you lets whoever know what each calf did. If your buddy won you slapped him on the back, told him good job and headed down the road. If some a$$hat won you gritted your teeth, got in the pickup and did your damnedest to win next time.

Some guys I talk to almost everyday still. Some guys I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. A@$bags are everywhere, it's just easier to pick them out someplace were people have different opinions in close contact with others. Most decent folks are decent where ever they go. But you can only take so much from certain no talent ass clowns...

Old 02-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8503 Times on 5083 Posts
Likes Given: 11122

I enjoy several sports but I'm not a overzealous fan about it. If my team doesn't win the World Series, Stanley Cup, etc. but yours does, I'm happy for you. I don't understand fans that just about beat their tv's with a baseball bat when their team loses. It's a game........it's supposed to be for fun.

Things like this is what I find difficult to deal with. A fist fight, crazy but maybe understandable. To kill someone.........DANG!

This happened in 1994 but I still think about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9s_Escobar

Old 02-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
I don't believe all fans are like that. It's kind of like saying every time some idiot shoots up a building that all gun owners are murders. Some people are just heartless....
I do not at all mean to say that all fans, or even a majority of fans, are like this. But in my opinion even one is too many. Same as with the idiots who shoot up a building. One is to many.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10395 Times on 4485 Posts
Likes Given: 1652

I suppose I am the one duck in the chicken yard. Would not pay $1 to attend a football, basketball, baseball, soccer or hockey game (other than going to see the kids play) It just does nothing for me.

Yes, fans can be idiots. I remember the Denver PD using tear gas to break up the riots after Denver won the Superbowl. And if you need a definition of hooligan, check out the soccer fans in Europe and South America. Sheesh!

Today, weather permitting, I shall be at the range this afternoon. Along with a few other ducks that can anticipate fewer people on the range.

I DO have to mentally compare the drunk with no shirt, his body painted in team colors, screaming at other fans- and the folks I find at a pistol match- sober, polite, well mannered and friendly.

Amazing how civil everyone is when everyone is carrying a .45.........