Honest Question For Sports fans
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Honest Question For Sports fans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8255 Times on 4768 Posts
Likes Given: 10668

Default Honest Question For Sports fans

I have an honest question for all of you ball and stick sports fans out there. How can a fan of any team in any sport hate another team or fan of another team so much as to attack them? (http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/06/giants-fan-bryan-stow-in-induced-coma-as-los-angeles-police-chas/) Isn't that what the game is supposed to determine, meaning which team is better at the game? Beating a fan of another team in the parking lot is just barbaric.

Seriously, the way I see it many sports fans have a rabid hate of all other teams and their fans. If it were not for the other team there would not be a game to begin with!

I am not a fan of the ball and stick sports by any means (I do enjoy going to games though), I am a fan of motorsports though, mainly Formula One racing. you don't see that sort of garbage in racing, or at least not in the racing that I follow.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

O' contraire mo freire...

The link you posted is very tragic and a total misrepresentation of all sports fans. It is also a bit dated (the victim has recently awakened from his coma) Maybe the people you should ask about this is the European "football" fans...

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/02/02/two-killed-in-egypt-as-protesters-target-interior-ministry-for-soccer-match/

I know it's FOX news but it's pretty verifiable...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 02-05-2012 at 03:07 AM. Reason: sp...

Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I have an honest question for all of you ball and stick sports fans out there. How can a fan of any team in any sport hate another team or fan of another team so much as to attack them? (http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/06/giants-fan-bryan-stow-in-induced-coma-as-los-angeles-police-chas/) Isn't that what the game is supposed to determine, meaning which team is better at the game? Beating a fan of another team in the parking lot is just barbaric.

Seriously, the way I see it many sports fans have a rabid hate of all other teams and their fans. If it were not for the other team there would not be a game to begin with!

I am not a fan of the ball and stick sports by any means (I do enjoy going to games though), I am a fan of motorsports though, mainly Formula One racing. you don't see that sort of garbage in racing, or at least not in the racing that I follow.
Well, its more a tale of our society and the lack of etiquette. Its funny, i am and always have been a rabid Lions fan. As such i have taken my fair share of $H!T from others. I live in IN and DESPISE the dolts in general and that choke artist Peyton in particular.

Well this season with my Lions having one of the best seasons in decades and the Dolts having one of the worst ...on more than one occasion i have had idiot dolt fans wanting to get into physical altercations when i returned the feces they had fed me for YEARS! I found it to be both laughable and sickening at the same time.

The way i see it, we all have our teams, players/drivers we cheer for. I respect others and their choices for what they are, i just expect others to respect my choices. Its called SPORTSMANSHIP and its not taught at any level anymore. Parents fighting parents at little league games, Coaches shoving coaches at the end of football games etc.

If we all cheered for the same team/driver....how friggn BORING would this world be!?!?

You DO see it in motorsports!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
O' contraire mo freire...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXbHQtZH8dE

The link you posted is very tragic and a total misrepresentation of all sports fans. It is also a bit dated (the victim has recently awakened from his coma) Maybe the people you should ask about this is the European "football" fans...

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/02/02/two-killed-in-egypt-as-protesters-target-interior-ministry-for-soccer-match/

I know it's FOX news but it's pretty verifiable...
Your video from 1979 shows what happened on the track between competitors in the "game". Did any fans get into fistfights in the parking lot over it? Well, if they did you would have never known about it in 1979.

The link I posted is about a local guy (Brian Stow). There have been several other incidences of fan brutality, specifically that I have read about locally at the San Jose Sharks games where fans of opposing teams have been attacked at Sharks games. The same thing happens at Little League games & et cetera which I have read about all over the country.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post

If we all cheered for the same team/driver....how friggn BORING would this world be!?!?

You DO see it in motorsports!
Well, if there was only one team out on the field there would be no game. One car on the track it would be a testing session.

You see racing drivers and sometimes teams get into it with each other, but I have not yet heard about racing fans beating each other down over their favored drivers.

I used to work as a professional race crew worker (way back in the 1980's) and as a volunteer more recently. Back then teams would help each other out unless the other team were outright A-holes. I worked for many teams whom we competed with if one of our cars was not in the same race. I worked several of the Daytona 24 Hour races and a couple of Baja 1000 races. There was rarely that sort of animosity between race crews and if there was it was not exhibited in the way I am lamenting.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Your video from 1979 shows what happened on the track between competitors in the "game". Did any fans get into fistfights in the parking lot over it? Well, if they did you would have never known about it in 1979.

The link I posted is about a local guy (Brian Stow). There have been several other incidences of fan brutality, specifically that I have read about locally at the San Jose Sharks games where fans of opposing teams have been attacked at Sharks games. The same thing happens at Little League games & et cetera which I have read about all over the country.
I understand what you're saying, I have no answer for why some people cross that line. Why so much trouble at the Shark's games? We have an NHL team here and that stuff never goes on.

And I promise you, there are fistfights at EVERY nascar race!!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:54 AM   #7

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, I have no answer for why some people cross that line. Why so much trouble at the Shark's games? We have an NHL team here and that stuff never goes on.

And I promise you, there are fistfights at EVERY nascar race!!
I don't doubt that there are fistfights at every NASCAR race. Lot of drunken fans there, as with most all sports (maybe bicycle racing is an exception?), but the fistfights at NASCAR races I would daresay are more between a couple of drunken rednecks who would be fighting over something else if not the race.

Here is another story http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_19643360

Are California fans just more brutal?

Old 02-05-2012, 04:25 AM   #8

Liked 1977 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 1078

Sports are supposed to be about teamwork, fairplay, courtesy, and learning to deal with lifes ups and downs in an adult manner.

And if you don't root for New England tommorow, I'll kill you!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:35 AM   #9

Have to keep in mind the sports media is just like the political media...they paint the picture THEY want you to see. Things like that happen all the time, (sadly) and the story gets more attention because of WHERE it happened.

I think the bicycle fans are too busy stickin' their pinkies in the air, as they sip their chablis, to care.

CA fans more brutal? No more than any other I suppose, unless you've been a Cowboy fan at an Eagles game...

Old 02-05-2012, 04:44 AM   #10

Quote:
unless you've been a Cowboy fan at an Eagles game...
I have been to maybe 3 or 4 SF Giants games over the past 10 years (I was at a game where Barry Bonds hit a home run record. Our seats were literally 20 feet from where the guy caught the ball. Free tickets.). The last Oakland A's game I went to was in the early '80's. Never been to a '49'rs game, Raiders game or Sharks game. I certainly have never been a Cowboy fan at an Eagles game......