Homemade bullet proof vest.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Homemade bullet proof vest.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1147 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Homemade bullet proof vest.

There are several are several videos on youtube about how to make a bulletproof vest out of ordinary ceramic tile. Apparently you wrap each individual tile in duct tape, then tape three or so tiles together.

A guy at the cigar shop did this. Made himself a vest. When he tested it out, it stopped a 9mm, but (not surprisingly) failed stop (or even slow down) a .308 fired from about 19 feet away. He was really bummed about that, but my understanding is that very few commercial vest could do this.

I'm not sure how it would hold up against a .223; I suspect it would be pretty much one time use item.

Anybody have any thought/experience with homemade bulletproof items? Back when I was a criminal defense lawyer in Ft. Worth I thought of making a bulletproof briefcase, but never actually bothered to do it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #2

Liked 702 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
There are several are several videos on youtube about how to make a bulletproof vest out of ordinary ceramic tile. Apparently you wrap each individual tile in duct tape, then tape three or so tiles together.

A guy at the cigar shop did this. Made himself a vest. When he tested it out, it stopped a 9mm, but (not surprisingly) failed stop (or even slow down) a .308 fired from about 19 feet away. He was really bummed about that, but my understanding is that very few commercial vest could do this.

I'm not sure how it would hold up against a .223; I suspect it would be pretty much one time use item.

Anybody have any thought/experience with homemade bulletproof items? Back when I was a criminal defense lawyer in Ft. Worth I thought of making a bulletproof briefcase, but never actually bothered to do it.
Home made bullet proof vest LMAO
People Like This 
Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglesam View Post
Home made bullet proof vest LMAO
Sorta my reaction, but this guy was excited about the concept. Other videos showing how to make one out of fiberglass material.

I would think that if you actually NEED a bulletproof vest, this is not one area where one would want to cheap out.
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 10-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #4

Ooooops. When testing a vest, make sure your buddy can hit center mass from 10 feet:

http://youtu.be/pPb5k4_lqaU

Old 10-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

There's another one where the guy gets shot with 9mmFMJ point blank wearing his vest. He dies on camera. Darwin Award. Hope these people never breed.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10542 Times on 4552 Posts
Likes Given: 1691

For homemade, will stick to wine and cookies.

First, NOTHING in this world is bullet PROOF. Things are bullet resistant. And you would be surprised at the penetration of some bullets over others.

There was a handgun round- the .256 Win magnum. A .357 necked down to .25 cal. Never real popular, but there WAS factory loaded ammo. And a regular ball round would punch a 1/4 inch steel plate.

The armored briefcase is not a bad idea- there is one made with a fold out flap of armored material to cover more of you. Here is one of many companies that sell those- http://www.bulletblocker.com/bullet-proof-briefcase-bulletproof-carry-on-luggage-and-bags.html

Old 10-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #7

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Anybody want to try out my homemade parachute?

Old 10-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #8

Liked 102 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Anybody want to try out my homemade parachute?
I do I do

Old 10-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1578 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
For homemade, will stick to wine and cookies.

First, NOTHING in this world is bullet PROOF. Things are bullet resistant. And you would be surprised at the penetration of some bullets over others.

There was a handgun round- the .256 Win magnum. A .357 necked down to .25 cal. Never real popular, but there WAS factory loaded ammo. And a regular ball round would punch a 1/4 inch steel plate.

The armored briefcase is not a bad idea- there is one made with a fold out flap of armored material to cover more of you. Here is one of many companies that sell those- http://www.bulletblocker.com/bullet-proof-briefcase-bulletproof-carry-on-luggage-and-bags.html
There are bullet resistant clip boards and back packs for kids available now.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #10

I don't understand the concept of "testing" bullet resistant vests while wearing them. Oh, mebbe (I don't know) the major, legitimate body armor manufacturers do some testing on live subjects, after extensive tests on the armor without being worn, but for a backyard bubba to have a buddy shoot him to test out a homemade or even a store bought vest just goes against everything I believe about gun safety. And, like was said, some bullets penetrate better than others.

He's another video I found. Some people have odd ideas of recreation.

http://youtu.be/vkxcv2NXpI0
What up, dawg?