Home Security Systems.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Home Security Systems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default Home Security Systems.

Don't say Smith & Wesson.

Does anyone have a home security system and who is it buy? What are the good points and what are the bad points. Would you use them again or would you go with someone else.

Right now all I can find is ADT and Brinks. ADT has a $99 install after mail in rebate. Brinks has $115 install. ADT is $43.99 a month Brinks is $31.99 a month. I am leaning towards Brinks because it comes with 3 windows or doors in the package, I have 6 windows and 2 doors (Townhouse) that would lower the extra cost of only installing 2 doors and 3 windows on to the top of the $115. ADT only offers 2 windows or doors so I am stuck getting 6 windows installed extra.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Don't say Smith & Wesson.

Does anyone have a home security system and who is it buy? What are the good points and what are the bad points. Would you use them again or would you go with someone else.

Right now all I can find is ADT and Brinks. ADT has a $99 install after mail in rebate. Brinks has $115 install. ADT is $43.99 a month Brinks is $31.99 a month. I am leaning towards Brinks because it comes with 3 windows or doors in the package, I have 6 windows and 2 doors (Townhouse) that would lower the extra cost of only installing 2 doors and 3 windows on to the top of the $115. ADT only offers 2 windows or doors so I am stuck getting 6 windows installed extra.
I originally got my system through "protection One" along with monitoring but have since moved on to local company. Recently I ditched my land line to go all cell phone and didn't do that for a long time because the alarm needed the hard line to call out on. I then discovered that the same feature the alarm companies offer as a "cell backup" in case your hard line gets cut can also be your primary source for the alarm to call for help. So we put that in and our monthly monitoring went down, we pay about $20 a month. Also our door/ window contacts, glass breaks and motions are all wireless. We have a cat and these wireless units are "pet immune". It took a bit to dial them in during the install so the cat did not trip them. Just to test, my teenagers have tried to sneak past the motions (in test mode) in a variety of ways but have been caught every single time. My alarm panel is made by Ademco. I do not have a sensor on every single door/window but rather have motions covering an area like our basement for example. We do have a sensor on the patio door down there however.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Install your own!! Most perps don't know your alarm didn't notify police! The magnetic switches and wiring can be purchased relatively inexpensively and no monthly charge. There are even wireless systems on the market with motion and glass breakage detection.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Actually, Smith and Wesson is going to start doing monitored home alarm systems on the East Coast...

Old 01-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I got a 113 pound German Sheppard that makes the UPS guy run for his life.
We got 2x2's in all the windows and the doors deadbolt. Plus we live in a pretty low crime area with a lot of "Red Voters" who all have big trucks with gun racks and things of that nature.

We're pretty good at my place.

JD

Old 01-09-2009, 01:27 AM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

To make a long story short. My 11 year old daughter has some mental health issues. One of which is stealing and hording food. I have a deadbolt on my pantry and a 15' cable lock on my fridge. She is 5'4" 135 # and can pack away 5000 calories in one sitting. Yes boys she has powered down 5000 cals of food in one sitting. She visits her mother once a year (Over the summer) this year after returning from WA state our food bills tripled until we went on lock down. Now she is so desperate to get food she got up at 2:40 in the morning and took my credit card and the house keys and headed off down the street a 1/4 mile to get herself 2 king size snickers and a large muffin.

So the alarm system is not to keep people out it is to keep people in.

Please don't pass judgement on me because you really have no idea what I deal with day in and day out. There is more much more to the story I am just give the short one with not all the details.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:28 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

In that case, you really don't need a monitored alarm at all, so going with Brinks/ADT would be a little bit of an overkill. I would suggest contacting some local alarm installers in your area and see what they could do for you...

Old 01-09-2009, 04:53 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For monitoring your child, a loud alarm signal that notifies you the house has been breeched should be sufficient. You can get this either by self-install or with the companies you mentioned.

This also works for monitoring break-ins while you are home. I sleep days and run an alarm to make sure that I know if someone kicks my back door.

If you are concerned about police response when you are not home, my experience is that regional alarm companies sometimes offer a better service. They generally have less call volume, and are able to process alarms more quickly. If you know anyone in your local police department or police dispatch center you might inquire as to which company they think offers the best service.

Also, if you have a monitored alarm make sure to keep your phone number list current with the alarm company. It is frustrating for the police to respond to an alarm, discover a problem, and be unable to contact someone who can respond (owner, family friend, trusted neightbor, etc).

Good luck with the challenges your child faces as well.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 01-09-2009, 05:02 AM   #9

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

12 Gauge pump by NEF....LOL just kiddin'

A security system will be a must in my next home but for now I'm relying on the 12 gauge. My parents got a security system put in thier house about 7 or 8 years ago after a sudden rash of break-ins on our street. We live in a rural area where most of the time a brand new car/truck would be fine for days with keys in ignition (in fact my keys rarely leave my truck ignition). I guess it was the summer of 2000, when 3 or 4 houses on the street were burglarized. Since most of our neighbors and both my parents work regular 1st shift jobs, the obvious answer was a security system. Their system is an ADT and I think they did get that $99 install deal. They seemed to be a pretty good company, to me.

They call pretty quick, I set it off accidentially once. And damn that siren is loud.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-11-2009, 03:13 AM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Old pots and pans strung on fishing line to her door outside in the hall. Same thing inside your bedroom door and inside the front door. Should make enough noise to wake you and keep her in.