Home schooling?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Home schooling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default Home schooling?

Ok so I was talking to my dad earlier about homeschooling. He said he was considering it. My opinion is, I feel I would do much better if I'm home schooled,I could save my dad time and I could dropmmy sister off and pick her up from school as well. The thing is, I kinda miss out on the social part. Don't get me wrong I have plenty of friends and I know a bunch of girls already. But I would still miss out on meeting new. So to sum it I feel I would do better but I'm not sure if I'd want to miss out on the whole social part of things. What do you guys think? Anyone else ever get home schooled? Any advice is appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8111 Times on 4684 Posts
Likes Given: 10477

I homeschool my two boys, one is almost 17 and the other is 15. My oldest son is going to a trade school right now and has met several new kids his age there. We also go to a home school conference every year, but the reality of it is that most of their friends are not the same age as them. Their friends run the full range of ages. Neither one of them are too interested in dating right now as they are enjoying their trucks and guns and stuff. My 15 year old said the other day that he would rather spend time on working on restoring his Jeep as that was way cheaper than girls.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was home schooled from 5th-12th grade.I did miss out on the social part but i had friends from around the neighborhood,youth group,karate,ect.

I hated it up until i started working at 16 (23 now),then between work and other activities i was around people every afternoon,and dealing with new
people (customers) alot. You'll definitely learn alot more,just make sure you have places to go and socialize and do stuff or you will get bored stiff staying around the house all the time.

Looking back i wish i had gone through high school because of some of the things i missed out on,but alot of kids around here ****ed up their lives doing stupid **** and that could have just as easily been me. So in then end i guess i'm better off.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America,and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation, under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

Last edited by subie-jeep; 10-22-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7012 Times on 4219 Posts
Likes Given: 8449

I did not home school my kids. I felt they did best with public schools and lots of parental involvement. There is something to be said for learning to find your way through certain situations in a public school that a home schooled child may not be exposed to. That is just my opinion.

That being said, I think home schooled kids can get involved in park district sports and do quite well meeting friends. There are also community clubs you could join to satisfy that need to broaden your horizon on friends and experiences. You would have to have a parent that is willing to be involved in your home schooling and to spend the time setting up your curriculum and making sure it is done properly.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I won't allow my kids to go to public school. It's become a big fashion show and popularity contest among students. Kids get judged by the cost of their clothing, how they act, what types of music they listen to, how many other kids they're having sex with, if they're smoking or not, doing drugs, etc. It's hard to concentrate on actually learning anything in that environment, and I don't want any influence from those kids on my kids. My wife's kid went to public school and now takes pride in being "ghetto" and cares more about rap music than anything else. She didn't learn that from her mom or dad. She picked it up at school. No thanks. My kids are getting schooled at home. They're also learning trade skills like auto repair (yes, my girls are doing this), computer programming and whatever else I feel like teaching them.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #6

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Exactly what I mean, I was starting to get sucked into that but my dad won't allow it lucky for me I'm on the right track, my brother not so much. I can't stand it when people have there pants on the ground and act all ghetto. Actually because I dress like a southern boy sometimes other guys try starting stuff, girls well most of em find me attractive guess other people are just jealous. I've never been a follower though, always been me never caring what other kids think. I have my future planned(joining the marines when I get out of high school) that's why I'm nervous about homeschooling, I want to have fun before I join the marines I assume going to a marine college or living on the base, I won't be around to many girls and there won't be much partying like in the movies. So like I said I'm not sure what to do.

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #7

Liked 1094 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 55

That just shows how weak minded people are, if you are getting sucked into these cliques. You have to be yourself! You really need social skills and what better place than public schools. If the other kids are jumping off a bridge, does that mean you are going to follow? I would hope not. I have ZGs stories to hear when she gets a home schooled kid in her class that has huge skill gaps. Yes some parents are capable of home schooling, but majority of them are not capable.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
Exactly what I mean, I was starting to get sucked into that but my dad won't allow it lucky for me I'm on the right track, my brother not so much. I can't stand it when people have there pants on the ground and act all ghetto. Actually because I dress like a southern boy sometimes other guys try starting stuff, girls well most of em find me attractive guess other people are just jealous. I've never been a follower though, always been me never caring what other kids think. I have my future planned(joining the marines when I get out of high school) that's why I'm nervous about homeschooling, I want to have fun before I join the marines I assume going to a marine college or living on the base, I won't be around to many girls and there won't be much partying like in the movies. So like I said I'm not sure what to do.
If you are going to be a Marine, you need to be mentally strong. If you're having troubles in public school, I would worry about your mental state in terms of being in the military. I am a teacher and see the good and the bad. I personally would not homeschool my children as they need to learn to interact with others. I guess your decision needs to be based on what your reasons truly are for being homeschooled and if your parents are willing to take on that responsibility.

Last edited by Zombiegirl; 10-23-2012 at 12:09 AM.
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 10-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21217 Times on 12048 Posts
Likes Given: 52964

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Beast, follow your own heart and discuss it with your father. there are good points to either homeschooling or public schools. to me it sounds as if though you already have some goals in mind and that is very good. also sounds to me that you are maybe wanting to do the homeschooling to avoid all the pitfalls of peer pressure and to stay on track with your goals. this way you can concentrate on your studies and not have to worry about other kids and their drama.

social life? get a part time job, or join some type of sport such as martial arts, or find some volunteer work that interests you. this way you would be able to socialize and meet people. there are plenty of places to have a social life outside of just school if you are homeschooled.

i wish you luck with whatever you decide and hope i have helped you out.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7012 Times on 4219 Posts
Likes Given: 8449

My kids went to public schools. I didn't have much money and they certainly didn't have the fashionable clothes. If they wanted some special clothing, they used their own money above and beyond what I gave them for school clothes. My kids didn't follow the 'idiots' and their trends and bad habits. They learned to be comfortable for who they are.

That being said, I am not against home schooling. I know some very intelligent home schooled kids though some, not all, tend to be a little on the 'odd' side socially. But I think it's because the parents never let them interact with the neighborhood children or with anyone else who wasn't home schooled. Also, strong and strict religious beliefs sometimes played a part. Almost cult-like religious beliefs.