Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Home defense pet peeve.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1721 Times on 1106 Posts
Likes Given: 874

Default Home defense pet peeve.

Whenever somebody asks "what's best for home protection" invariably we get to pump shotguns. Here lies my major annoyance - "the bad guy will wet his pants when he hears the slide rack."
Well, I don't know about that bad guy, but if the one in my house hears that racking sound, it'll only be because he hasn't expired yet.
I don't know about anyone else, but all my defensive weapons are LOADED.
Ok. Rant over. Back to tea and crumpets.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #2

Thanks to early warning security and dogs, I will KNOW they are there before they know I know they are there. The action working on the Mossberg will be their final warning to leave immediately. I dont want to kill someone but if MADE TO, I will. I want to afford them every oppertunity to leave alive and not put my family and I through a shooting in our home.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 01-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I personally drilled out the stock and filled it with birdshot, then plugged it. That way, it sounds like a gauge AND a rattlesnake.

The BG makes a big poopy.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My shotgun is loaded except for the chamber for safety reasons (her damn cats climb over everything low). My bedside handgun however is fully loaded, and hopefully will give me enough time to get to the shotgun.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

^^^ If not, throw a screaming, clawing, spitting cat at them; that would be enough to end my criminal curiosities.

I also leave the chamber empty on my mossy pump 12; cats, guests, some idiot will make a mess if the chamber is loaded, knowing my luck.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
I personally drilled out the stock and filled it with birdshot, then plugged it. That way, it sounds like a gauge AND a rattlesnake.

The BG makes a big poopy.
You just made me spit my coffee.

I don't rely on burglars' cowardice to protect my home. If somebody breaks into my house, the first sound I expect them to hear is a loud "BOOM" from my 870.

We've got decent laws regarding home invasion in my country: if there's a bloke in your home he's fair game. The law assumes that he's up to no good.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I leave a round in the chamber. So if the bad guy has really good hearing, he can hear me click the safety off.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 01-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
^^^ If not, throw a screaming, clawing, spitting cat at them; that would be enough to end my criminal curiosities.

Heh, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
You just made me spit my coffee.

I don't rely on burglars' cowardice to protect my home. If somebody breaks into my house, the first sound I expect them to hear is a loud "BOOM" from my 870.

We've got decent laws regarding home invasion in my country: if there's a bloke in your home he's fair game. The law assumes that he's up to no good.

Hey Franciscomv...that sounds eminently civilised...bad guy invades = forfeits his right to be treated as an innocent. Too bad neither the Govt here nor the majority of the population would agree though.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 01-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Hey Franciscomv...that sounds eminently civilised...bad guy invades = forfeits his right to be treated as an innocent. Too bad neither the Govt here nor the majority of the population would agree though.
It's an old law, our most recent gun/self defense laws were written during military dictatorships in the 60s and 70s, so they are quite restrictive (although you guys have it a lot worse).

Home defense is the one area where our founding father's common sense was kept.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
It's an old law, our most recent gun/self defense laws were written during military dictatorships in the 60s and 70s, so they are quite restrictive (although you guys have it a lot worse).

Home defense is the one area where our founding father's common sense was kept.

Actually I guess it all kind of makes sense in the context of the foundations of a country. When your 'founding fathers' were in fact jailers, would you want the populace to be readily armed?

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D