Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Home defense pet peeve. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/home-defense-pet-peeve-22051/)

boatme98 01-11-2010 03:36 PM

Home defense pet peeve.

Whenever somebody asks "what's best for home protection" invariably we get to pump shotguns. Here lies my major annoyance - "the bad guy will wet his pants when he hears the slide rack."
Well, I don't know about that bad guy, but if the one in my house hears that racking sound, it'll only be because he hasn't expired yet.
I don't know about anyone else, but all my defensive weapons are LOADED.:eek:
Ok. Rant over. Back to tea and crumpets.

Gus556 01-11-2010 03:48 PM

Thanks to early warning security and dogs, I will KNOW they are there before they know I know they are there. The action working on the Mossberg will be their final warning to leave immediately. I dont want to kill someone but if MADE TO, I will. I want to afford them every oppertunity to leave alive and not put my family and I through a shooting in our home.

Benning Boy 01-11-2010 04:14 PM

I personally drilled out the stock and filled it with birdshot, then plugged it. That way, it sounds like a gauge AND a rattlesnake.

The BG makes a big poopy.:eek:

stalkingbear 01-11-2010 06:39 PM

My shotgun is loaded except for the chamber for safety reasons (her damn cats climb over everything low). My bedside handgun however is fully loaded, and hopefully will give me enough time to get to the shotgun.

orangello 01-11-2010 06:57 PM

^^^ If not, throw a screaming, clawing, spitting cat at them; that would be enough to end my criminal curiosities. :D

I also leave the chamber empty on my mossy pump 12; cats, guests, some idiot will make a mess if the chamber is loaded, knowing my luck.

Franciscomv 01-11-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 211291)
I personally drilled out the stock and filled it with birdshot, then plugged it. That way, it sounds like a gauge AND a rattlesnake.

The BG makes a big poopy.:eek:

:D:D You just made me spit my coffee.

I don't rely on burglars' cowardice to protect my home. If somebody breaks into my house, the first sound I expect them to hear is a loud "BOOM" from my 870.

We've got decent laws regarding home invasion in my country: if there's a bloke in your home he's fair game. The law assumes that he's up to no good.

cameronguyton 01-11-2010 08:39 PM

I leave a round in the chamber. So if the bad guy has really good hearing, he can hear me click the safety off.

zhuk 01-11-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 211346)
^^^ If not, throw a screaming, clawing, spitting cat at them; that would be enough to end my criminal curiosities. :D

http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/scanne...azyCatLady.jpg

Heh, lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franciscomv (Post 211350)
:D:D You just made me spit my coffee.

I don't rely on burglars' cowardice to protect my home. If somebody breaks into my house, the first sound I expect them to hear is a loud "BOOM" from my 870.

We've got decent laws regarding home invasion in my country: if there's a bloke in your home he's fair game. The law assumes that he's up to no good.

Hey Franciscomv...that sounds eminently civilised...bad guy invades = forfeits his right to be treated as an innocent. Too bad neither the Govt here nor the majority of the population would agree though.

Franciscomv 01-11-2010 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zhuk (Post 211473)
Hey Franciscomv...that sounds eminently civilised...bad guy invades = forfeits his right to be treated as an innocent. Too bad neither the Govt here nor the majority of the population would agree though.

It's an old law, our most recent gun/self defense laws were written during military dictatorships in the 60s and 70s, so they are quite restrictive (although you guys have it a lot worse).

Home defense is the one area where our founding father's common sense was kept.

zhuk 01-11-2010 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franciscomv (Post 211476)
It's an old law, our most recent gun/self defense laws were written during military dictatorships in the 60s and 70s, so they are quite restrictive (although you guys have it a lot worse).

Home defense is the one area where our founding father's common sense was kept.

Actually I guess it all kind of makes sense in the context of the foundations of a country. When your 'founding fathers' were in fact jailers, would you want the populace to be readily armed? :p