Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Hollywood gun experts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default Hollywood gun experts

I am still hearing people who sprout so much knowledge of firearms, right out of Hollywood. It oft times make me wander just who the Firearms expert was that Hollywood hired for there movie, (maybe Sarah Brady?)

Some of the rumors I still hear is that the M-16 bullet tumbles end over end when it comes out of the barrel. Let us not forget that Hollywood has made the handgun into the prime assault weapon, used by every one in the world to clear buildings and also to bring down the bad guy.

Soon wars will be fought and won with nothing more then the handgun, (9mm Beretta no less), just ask Mel Gibson. The popularity of given weapons comes right out of Hollywood, sense most people never heard of a given weapon until Hollywood used it in some movie.

Now I own a FEG 9mm High Power made in Hungry, it is a Police trade in that was imported here for resale. It is one fine shooting handgun and I have no problems carrying it. Sherman set the way back machine for 1973. Out in the theaters was a movie starring Al Pacino as a New York Cop “Frank Serpico”.

Though this movie was based on a real life person, and was a fair movie I might add. Toward the end of the movie it shows Al Pacino carrying a Browning High Power. Well most people in the U.S. had heard little if nothing about the Browning High Power until the movie came out.

Though the a long history, and popularity of this weapon in some 93 other countries was great, here in the good old U.S.A. most people never heard of it. With the movie Serpico, now we started seeing a popularity of this very handgun in the U.S. and the rumors started flowing just like melted butter.

The movie Lethal Weapon brought out a following of the Beretta 92, again most people never heard of the Beretta 92 until Mal Gibson rolled over and over on the ground in the movie shooting 8 or 10 rounds into the chest of the bad guy in a 1inch group. What happened next was the embracing of a weapon by the American people and even our Military was swooned into adopting this handgun as their service weapon.

The .44 auto mag. got its popularity and fame from the Dirty Harry movie Sudden Impact. Though I had known about them for quite some time most people had no idea that they even existed, until this movie brought one out. This created a vast amount of rumors about the ability of this deadly weapon and even was responsible for the creation of the Desert Eagle in .44 mag.

These are but a few of the gun related things Hollywood has been responsible for creating. Not all are bad just remember if it’s Hollywood then it is a good chance that it’s reality is ****.

opaww

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well said opaww and very true.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Oh crap, there goes my Sonic II Plasma rifle with unlimited Plasmatonia static rounds.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

James Bond made me want a Walther PPK

Old 08-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
James Bond made me want a Walther PPK
+2 and the AK. I used to play GoldenEye on Nintendo 64 and the first gun i went to was the PPK(pp7 in the game) and the AK. I still watch all the old westerns and enjoy seeing the elaborate holster and ammunition set ups they have and the trigger action they have.

Rugged Radios ... Supplying all your communication needs!
Now Featuring 26db Hearing Protectors

chrisbrown@RuggedRadios.com
1 (888) 541-RACE

Old 08-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You guys are forgetting the worst example of this in the modern era:

Quote:
JOHN McCLANE: That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me! You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn't show up on your airport X-ray machines, and it costs more than you make here in a month!
Thank you Renny God Damn Harlan! If you would have just kept your stupid fanboy fingers off the script we would not be having the Glock versus 1911 fights of today.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default My Gun

This is my current carry piece made by CZTOP, maybe the movies will
use one in a movie soon.

Last edited by trex1310; 07-04-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #8

Its not just in hollywood, its in books too. I just finished a book where the main character carried a "40mm Glock". It was mentioned about thirty times in the book. Apparently 10mm is for pussies. 40mm is where it is at.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #9

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

eddie murphy sported the browning hi-power in the beverly hills cop movies...of course his 15rd mag holds about 53rds in some of the shoot out parts of the movies....lol

Old 08-14-2009, 02:37 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Slightly related; hope the mods don't mind me linking to a *cough* rival forum

Gun Myths & idiotic comments

A selection of the better posts:

Quote:
Here is a good myth often seen in movies:
Turned over tables, car doors and walls provide ballistic protection from assault rifle rounds.

Correct. And the guy wielding the assault rifle is usually dispatched by a single pistol shot from 100 yards away by the hero.

Putting a silencer on anything from a revolver to an assault rifle like an M4 will not only reduce the noise it makes to a quiet "Phut" sound, it will also make the weapon more accurate.

Actually that reminds me of another hollywood myth... when the first round is loaded on automatic weapons the actor pulls back the mechanism and then pushes it forward again. In many weapons this will cause a stovepipe... ie the mechanism goes forward but the bullet doesn't go into the chamber properly and gets stuck at a funny angle. For most auto weapons you pull back the slide or cocking handle and then release to load.

You will not run out of ammo, and won't need to reload when it's one against many. But when it's one on one in a gun battle, your gun will jam or you will finally run out of ammo, and it will turn into a fist fight.

LEO's need to cock their pistols when they draw them, every time.

You must action a shotgun at every opportunity.

Firing a shotgun at a door will cause half of it to explode alowing you to kick it in.

You can shoot chains and padlocks with sidearms without any problems.

Glocks require the user to disengage a loud safety every time they're unholstered or pointed at someone.

500+ yard shots against moving targets with someone else's scoped rifle you've just found is more than possible, it's repeatable.

Firing a belt fed weapon constantly for 200+ rounds is far more sensible than 3-5 round bursts against multiple targets.

Etc etc.

I love movies.

A pistol being introduced into a discussion will not cause the wisecracking to cease.

the hero can never be hit, but he in turn can shoot the bad guys from the hip at 200 yards. (nobody has to reload either)
The hero always has to have a fist fight to the death with his archnemisis.
Explosives explode multiple time at different angles
LOL!