The historical ignorance of our youth - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The historical ignorance of our youth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My children are in K12 a public school program where they do classwork at home on the computer. I allows me a certain control of their education. In public schools here in TN it seems Middle school is all about the standardized test. Class work is tailored to these tests because the money the schools receive is tailored to how well they do on the tests. Unfortunately the students actually learning anything has gotten lost in this process.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
A link to Audie Murphy. He rec'd one Medal of Honor, and numerous other medals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy

I never met him- but did have the privilege of being one of the LEOs that were the temporary Honor Guard when his body was in the Medical Examiner's office- Jun 1971. When the ME was finished, we handed off the duty to the US Army for his burial at Arlington.
Man what a honor that was I've read about him and saw several of his films of course the best was to hell and back but he just seemed like a realty good person from what I've read bout him growing up taking care of his mom and siblings

Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm a big jimmy stewart fan but I think audie done the movie destry better justice it maybe because I saw audie's version first idk

Old 08-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
One of my officers submitted a report on a PTSD inflicted Vietnam Vet who had just been released from "Andy Murphy Hospital" in San Antonio.

I inquired if she had ever heard of Audie Murphy. She had no idea who he was. Just the most decorated soldier from WWII, Hello! Nope, never heard of him. Never heard of Alvin York. Never heard of the movies Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein. Oh the humanity! How do we expect to survive as a people if our historical perspective is 20 years?
There is a new generation that has never heard of the Beatles, nor have they heard of Martin Luther King (believe it or not)!

Old 08-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

They need to know our country's heroes before MLK and the Beatles

Last edited by c3shooter; 08-16-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Smart phones are not

Old 08-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #16

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

However, I am a supervisor over on WikiAnswers (hobby). One of the questions that popped up there- "Was Washington still alive when the Nazi's nuked the Pearl Harbor?". Oh my Lord. Where to begin?
Our (at the time) 6 year old asked my wife if I (Daddy) was old enough to have ever met President Hammerhan Lincoln.

Some of the things that come out of that boys mouth we'll never understand.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #17

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

My grandma said she knew the next generation was in trouble when they stopped teaching phonics in school

Old 08-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

That's pretty good

Old 08-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrwe
My children are in K12 a public school program where they do classwork at home on the computer. I allows me a certain control of their education. In public schools here in TN it seems Middle school is all about the standardized test. Class work is tailored to these tests because the money the schools receive is tailored to how well they do on the tests. Unfortunately the students actually learning anything has gotten lost in this process.
I teach math. I make my kids analyze everything. I will solve problems incorrectly and then make them look at the process to figure out what went wrong and have them tell me how to fix it. I work their butts off and never allow them to not answer questions when I call on them. We have lovely standardized tests too but IMO if the material is taught properly the kids will pass the test. I try not to let my kids stress out about it. I always what them to know how to solve a problem, why it needs to be solved, and what other areas of life the skill can be applied to. My best compliment frim students is always "Why do you make us think so much?". Haha
Old 08-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #20

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I don't know know why but I always loved reading about history. It seemed like I couldn't get enough when I was in school so I spent some of my free time just browsing topics in the library. The last 2yrs of HS I had a least 2 study hall classes each semester (senior year I had 4 in the 2nd half ), so what does one do when you have that much free time ... when i was wasn't chasing the girls or napping in the nurses office or training for a sport I was reading, usually history or science material.

Seriously though, what is so damn interesting about reality tv today that folks refuse to pick up a book and read?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD