Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   The historical ignorance of our youth (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/historical-ignorance-our-youth-70454/)

robocop10mm 08-16-2012 05:40 AM

The historical ignorance of our youth
 
One of my officers submitted a report on a PTSD inflicted Vietnam Vet who had just been released from "Andy Murphy Hospital" in San Antonio.

I inquired if she had ever heard of Audie Murphy. She had no idea who he was. Just the most decorated soldier from WWII, Hello! Nope, never heard of him. Never heard of Alvin York. Never heard of the movies Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein. Oh the humanity! How do we expect to survive as a people if our historical perspective is 20 years?

Badshot320 08-16-2012 05:48 AM

Kids never get a chance for anything to soak in, homework is googled, they just write down someone elses answer. History is just history nowadays.

Badshot

c3shooter 08-16-2012 06:57 AM

If you truly want to see your children educated, DO NOT rely on someone else to do it. The Anarchist-in-Training not only KNOWS about the Battle of the Crater, but has walked the battleground with me.

We were discussing history over a cheeseburger the other evening, when she surprised me with an observation- "By the time I was 10, I figured out that most of the history we were being taught was crap, so I figured I better go do some reading on my own."

:) There IS hope!


However, I am a supervisor over on WikiAnswers (hobby). One of the questions that popped up there- "Was Washington still alive when the Nazi's nuked the Pearl Harbor?". Oh my Lord. Where to begin?

dog2000tj 08-16-2012 07:09 AM

We may survive, but with such a short historical perspective we will continue to make the same mistakes over and over and over and over again :(


btw - you should have told her it was the "Andy Rooney Hospital" ... might have gotten a few laughs on her expense :p

dog2000tj 08-16-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 905783)
If you truly want to see your children educated, DO NOT rely on someone else to do it. The Anarchist-in-Training not only KNOWS about the Battle of the Crater, but has walked the battleground with me.

We were discussing history over a cheeseburger the other evening, when she surprised me with an observation- "By the time I was 10, I figured out that most of the history we were being taught was crap, so I figured I better go do some reading on my own."

:) There IS hope!

can we start a write in campaign for her? :D

Quote:

However, I am a supervisor over on WikiAnswers (hobby). One of the questions that popped up there- "Was Washington still alive when the Nazi's nuked the Pearl Harbor?". Oh my Lord. Where to begin?
I cannot tell a lie ..... I LOL'ed :D ..... but man, that is all kinds of stewpid :o Kudos to you c3 i could never do that job, I would either rip stupid folks a new one or I would feed them total BS in the hopes they would submit the information in school :p


Question - Was Washington still alive when the Nazi's nuked the Pearl Harbor?
Answer - Yes, Washington was alive when the Nazis nuked Pearl Harbor. Actually, since the US had lost the war in Europe it was decided that Washington would be dug up from his grave and sent over to the Russians, where they would reanimate his corpse and provide him with new internal organs harvested from wolves. This proved pivotal as he was able to bomb the Japanese with Moon rocks from orbit, thus winning us the war.

:p

Mosin 08-16-2012 07:36 AM

I think kids have too much for the human brain to process. Yeah people we're historically and politically smart back in the day, but the only real leisure activity was to read. Granted, it's too bad that most of these kids brains are occupied with trivial distractions, but they're the ones I run to for computer help....

Applin88 08-16-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm
One of my officers submitted a report on a PTSD inflicted Vietnam Vet who had just been released from "Andy Murphy Hospital" in San Antonio.

I inquired if she had ever heard of Audie Murphy. She had no idea who he was. Just the most decorated soldier from WWII, Hello! Nope, never heard of him. Never heard of Alvin York. Never heard of the movies Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein. Oh the humanity! How do we expect to survive as a people if our historical perspective is 20 years?

Ain't audie the most decorated soldier ever not just wwII

1911love 08-16-2012 08:04 AM

If I remember right, his MOH is for taking life, not saving life. Those are rare. I think he earned two, but I might be wrong.

WebleyFosbery38 08-16-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 905783)
If you truly want to see your children educated, DO NOT rely on someone else to do it. The Anarchist-in-Training not only KNOWS about the Battle of the Crater, but has walked the battleground with me.

We were discussing history over a cheeseburger the other evening, when she surprised me with an observation- "By the time I was 10, I figured out that most of the history we were being taught was crap, so I figured I better go do some reading on my own."

:) There IS hope!


However, I am a supervisor over on WikiAnswers (hobby). One of the questions that popped up there- "Was Washington still alive when the Nazi's nuked the Pearl Harbor?". Oh my Lord. Where to begin?

I cant help but try to educate folks that are obviously lacking in truthful education. Its even tougher when you work at a University like I do! Ive found PHD's can be some of the biggest re-creationists and a real challenge to edumacate without pissing them off!

My Daughters and Grand-kids have been known to complain about my "Lectures". They know that any subject could spawn one and if they dont know "the rest of the story" when we start, they will when Im finished.

c3shooter 08-16-2012 01:33 PM

A link to Audie Murphy. He rec'd one Medal of Honor, and numerous other medals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy

I never met him- but did have the privilege of being one of the LEOs that were the temporary Honor Guard when his body was in the Medical Examiner's office- Jun 1971. When the ME was finished, we handed off the duty to the US Army for his burial at Arlington.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:00 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.