An historic moment in the "space race"

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > An historic moment in the "space race"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default An historic moment in the "space race"

We Choose the Moon: Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing

For those of you who either weren't born or too young to grasp the significance of the event, the Apollo 11 mission is being brought back by NASA. The site gives a real time "view" of the mission from its launch until, on the 19th of this month, the landing and Neil Armstrong's first step onto the moon.

I remember this very well. In 1969 I was 19, living in Kalifornia and attending junior college. My parents were on vacation so I was "house-sitting" their home. I remember sitting in front of the tube watching this moment play out live. There wasn't any of the cable stations around back then but network television was very avid in their coverage of our space program. I cat-napped in front of the television during this entire mission, something I could do at 19 but would be hard-pressed to try to do now. Getting old is a bitch.

It's a chance to relive, or experience for the first time, the historic culmination of the space race between the United States and the Soviet Union.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here