Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Hiring a Firearms Technical Copy Writer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I've slung a lot of lead in my time and I'm very knowledgeable in the use of and technical aspects of most weapons.

Alas, I've no BA and my AS is in an related field.
I have ducked a lot of lead in my time, Though I do not have a degree I can BS with the best.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #12

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Is this the Palmer Group - Des Moines job?

I am a Navy vet (Weapons), have 45 years of firearms experience, 20 years as a mechanical engineer, 6 years as a technical writer for GM as a diagnostic and repair manual writer.

And I have NO interest in moving from Margaritaville to Iowa!

If it's a work from home, $200K/year, health and life, expense account including ammo and R1 travel expenses paid I'd be glad to talk with you.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-28-2009, 11:50 PM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Is this the Palmer Group - Des Moines job?

I am a Navy vet (Weapons), have 45 years of firearms experience, 20 years as a mechanical engineer, 6 years as a technical writer for GM as a diagnostic and repair manual writer.

And I have NO interest in moving from Margaritaville to Iowa!

If it's a work from home, $200K/year, health and life, expense account including ammo and R1 travel expenses paid I'd be glad to talk with you.

Don't forget you'll need to have an expense account to fly in expert weapons testers from around the forum... I mean country.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:24 AM   #14

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Don't forget you'll need to have an expense account to fly in expert weapons testers from around the forum... I mean country.
I second that very critical and important noted observation. That would surly be a deal breaker.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-29-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

On a more positive note, Ms. Thomas posted here looking for a qualified individual. That says a lot in itself, giving some degree of credibiity to this forum. I'd take it as a compliment.

Having said that I'd vote for Robo as well. But moving form Texas to Ohio would be too high a price to pay!

TXnorton

Old 07-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #16

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
On a more positive note, Ms. Thomas posted here looking for a qualified individual. That says a lot in itself, giving some degree of credibiity to this forum. I'd take it as a compliment.

Having said that I'd vote for Robo as well. But moving form Texas to Ohio would be too high a price to pay!

TXnorton
I am glad she did post here maybe someone will step up to the plate and apply

Old 07-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Having been involved in more tech pub chops/re-writes/translations than I want to recall, I can't imagine anyone volunteering for such a grueling, contentious, demeaning job. There is a reason that it hasn't been filled.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:08 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with all who see the recruiter's posting as a positive endorsement for this Forum as a potential candidate generator. I also agree with those who see a liberal arts education and firearms technical writing as possibly mutually exclusive endeavors. I guess maybe I shouldn't have substituted Greek for physics. But through hard work and study I've learned the difference between ogive and bop. Shame I'm not a pheasant hunter, either. On the other hand, my 401k is now about a 101k...maybe there is some magic in those corn fields.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #19
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good luck with your search Lisa and a great way to look for a qualified canidate, thinking out of the box. As already expressed most degree holders on a forum like this will have a Bachelor of Science degree instead of a Bachelors of Arts degree as most firearm owners with extensive experience are mechanical, mathematical and science minded people. It might be worth going back to the client and ask them to reconsider the requirements so you can find a person who is knowledgeable/creditable in this field.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.