Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Hiring a Firearms Technical Copy Writer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hiring a Firearms Technical Copy Writer

My name is Lisa Thomas. I am an executive recruiter. I work in the gun and sport industry. I have been hired by a client in Iowa. They are aggressively looking to hire a Firearms Technical Copy Writer.
To be considered for this diverse opportunity you must have a strong background in firearms and ammunition. You must be able to product award quality product features, research and review new products, write utilizing many media forms such as print, catalog, e-commerce just to name a few.
You must have a Bachelor's degree in a related field such as: communication. journalism, advertising, public relations or marketing, plus at least two years experience as a professional writer. The position is located in Iowa. The company is offering relocation assistance if necessary. If you fit the skills to hire my client would like to interview you immediately.
This is a solid company. The are looking to hire immediately. Call me today so that we can discuss your qualifications. Lisa Thomas - SearchPath Int - 614-429-4232 ext 950.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lthomas View Post
You must be able to product award quality product features,
"produce"
Good luck; there are some very knowledgable people on this forum. I hope one of them fits your bill.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've slung a lot of lead in my time and I'm very knowledgeable in the use of and technical aspects of most weapons.

Alas, I've no BA and my AS is in an unrelated field.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 07-29-2009 at 02:29 AM. Reason: oopsie

Old 07-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You might have a problem finding a 4 year degree AND extensive knowledge of firearm's to be honest.

Most of the really knowledgable people who are in the industry, have been doing it their whole lives because it's something they love.

Someone that went to school for journalism might also be an avid hunter or hiker, but their over all level of knowledge might not approach what someone that has worked in the industry for years can impart.

Take a look at the top companies, who are still run by their founders, and you will find plenty of hands on people who have created a niche' market for themselves, then surrounded themselves with the appropriate business minded folks to run the business side.

Ronnie Barrett isn't doing his own books. The Chandler Brothers aren't either.

Good luck with your search!

JD

Old 07-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, that left me out at the mention of college degree. Why not hire based on firearms knowledge and use editor as needed?

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I think JD is correct in his thinking. A liberal arts degree does not usually translate to a technical knowledge of firearms. The person you seek with those qualifications is most likely already writing for a competitor of your client. I've worked in the headhunting field. As you know, it can be very tough and cut-throat. Maybe this is why they have charged a recruiter in Ohio to do their bidding in Iowa. Find your rouse and rob a competitor!

Plus, you made no mention of package and or perks.

Good luck in your search, but I suggest you start looking for those already employed in the industry and try to convert them to your client.

skullcrusher

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Liberal arts and firearms seem to be mutually exclusive terms. I have a BS in Law Enforcement and Police Science. Eight years as an instructor including teaching report writing and criminal complaints and affidavits to an agency 800+ strong. I routinely draft documents including probable cause affidavits, search warrants and arrest warrants.

I am a factory trained armorer from three different gun companies. I have been handloading for 30+ years and casting bullets for 25. I have been a student of internal, external and terminal ballistics for many years. I also have a physics background as a traffic accident reconstructionist. I am qualified but have no desire to relocate to Iowa (unless my step son gets a football scholorship to one of your D-1 universities).

Good luck with your search.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Liberal arts and firearms seem to be mutually exclusive terms. I have a BS in Law Enforcement and Police Science. Eight years as an instructor including teaching report writing and criminal complaints and affidavits to an agency 800+ strong. I routinely draft documents including probable cause affidavits, search warrants and arrest warrants.

I am a factory trained armorer from three different gun companies. I have been handloading for 30+ years and casting bullets for 25. I have been a student of internal, external and terminal ballistics for many years. I also have a physics background as a traffic accident reconstructionist. I am qualified but have no desire to relocate to Iowa (unless my step son gets a football scholorship to one of your D-1 universities).

Good luck with your search.
Robo gets my vote.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #9

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Robo, sounds like you are the man. Maybe she will entertain the idea of e-mail correspondence writing and editing, like some newspapers do.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-28-2009, 08:29 PM   #10

Robo: Yes, thank you for the expert advise. I have already tried those avenues. As for using a recruiter in Ohio - We have great success in placing no less than 13 individuals with this client. They trust us to review all skill sets as they have placed importance. The degree level and the area of degree is set by the client - not me.
Your insight is greatly appreciated - Thank you again.