Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Highschool chemical attack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Highschool chemical attack

This is the nonsense that occurs at Americas public schools.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/article/285396/8/School-locked-down-over-thermometer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #2

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

That sir, is truly mindboggeling! A HazMat team, really? Glad I wasn't there, someone might have noticed the tritium in my watch face and quarantined the whole town! Elemental mercury is only dangerous in vapor form (yes there are other very dangerous forms used in specific applications). Exposure to a little liquid is unlikely to cause any harm, let alone major health effects. Many older people remember playing around with mercury from broken thermometers when they were kids; they haven’t all died.

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 12-05-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2581 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude View Post
That sir, is truly mindboggeling! A HazMat team, really? Glad I wasn't there, someone might have noticed the tritium in my watch face and quarantined the whole town! Elemental mercury is only dangerous in vapor form (yes there are other very dangerous forms used in specific applications). Exposure to a little liquid is unlikely to cause any harm, let alone major health effects. Many older people remember playing around with mercury from broken thermometers when they were kids; they haven't all died.
Me for one. In science class at school in California of all places.

Quote:
One student brought in mercury -- contained within a thermometer -- and the school went into lockdown.
IT WAS CONTAINED IN THE THERMOMETER! It only becomes hazmat if the thermometer is broken. I wonder if these same morons have ever had one of those CFL lights break in their homes? Did they call for a full hazmat response?

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 12-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #4

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Better call and tell them that their parking lot is full of cars with LEAD batteries!!!!!!

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #5

Liked 2351 Times on 1529 Posts

My physics teacher had a small container of mercury, he would let us play with it. When I stuck my finger in it (joke time), I could feel it create bouyancy because it was so dense compared to my finger.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 12-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6754 Times on 4081 Posts
Likes Given: 8069

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude View Post
Many older people remember playing around with mercury from broken thermometers when they were kids;
We did all the time. We kept it in a little jar when we weren't playing with it.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
My physics teacher had a small container of mercury, he would let us play with it. When I stuck my finger in it (joke time), I could feel it create bouyancy because it was so dense compared to my finger.
Same thing when I was a kid, the teacher had us pass it around class to check out its properties. I remember it would leave a silverish smudge on your skin. We thought it was cool and we're all still alive and kicking.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #8

Liked 2351 Times on 1529 Posts

And to think they say it causes drain bramage, jeez to think of all the, the, what were we talking about?

Feral cat waterboarder

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 12-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
And to think they say it causes drain bramage, jeez to think of all the, the, what were we talking about?
Nah we were just tougher kids back in those days. Little battery acid here, little mercury there, no biggie...
Old 12-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6754 Times on 4081 Posts
Likes Given: 8069

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
Nah we were just tougher kids back in those days. Little battery acid here, little mercury there, no biggie...
The worst thing about battery acid is it would make holes in my clothes. But it didn't make me stoopit like the mercury did. LOL