Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The highlight of my day was...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 04:28 AM   #741
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19880 Times on 11290 Posts
Likes Given: 50117

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
When we were in high school my dad had a ford fiesta, my buddies dad had a chevette, we raced them one night after a football game. We didn't get a winner, we both lost interest long before we go to the finish line.
ROFLMAO!!!!!

both of those cars were measured in minutes in the quarter mile instead of seconds!

Old 03-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #742

today's highlight.

the manager telling the guys they need to listen to to what i tell them when i say how i want something done! now i have no authority to make anyone do anything and i am not in any position of authority in the shop. but the manager knows i make sure things are done correctly and with the companies and the customers best interests in mind at all times.

i told the other mechanic to remove the starter off a small trenching machine and carry it down to my brothers shop, (we do alot of business with my brothers shop for starters, alternators, batteries and electrical components) and get the starter drive replaced. he took it down there and replaced it with a brand new $250 starter! which could have been repaired for about $50-60 instead. the starter worked fine except for the starter drive. he tried to say it was faster to just buy the new one than wait for it to be repaired. if he had taken if oof when i suggested instead of dragging around and got it down to my brothers shop, it would have been repaired by this afternoon. besides, we had another trencher if we needed to rent one and we could still have gotten the unit back in service by late tomorrow morning. the manager wasn't happy in the least as i wasn't either. this was a clear waste of money IMO. the manager was mainly upset because he took it upon himself to make the decision instead of doing it the way i suggested, andif he has any question about what i suggest that he can take up with him and let him make a determination on the best course of action.

now even though i am not in a position of authority, i am given a lot of leeway and a lot of trust to get things done, and they know i make sure things are taken care of and done properly. i many times work unsupervised when working outside the shop and i am allowed to use my best judgement to get things done. i don't tell people at work what to do, or issue orders, i simply point out things that need to be done and how they should be taken care of. whether they get completed is not my affair and i allow people to make their own choices. i know what i need to get done and how it needs to be done and that's what i worry about.

People Like This 
Old 03-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #743
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6028 Times on 3301 Posts
Likes Given: 11517

My work partner sometimes talks about his adult son that still lives with him and his wife. The kid is in his mid to late twenties.
Today we found ourselves near his house at lunch time so, he invited me to have lunch at his house.
He took me inside and showed me around the kitchen before disappearing into the bathroom.
So, now I'm standing in the kitchen alone and it occurred to me that if the son were to discover a stranger in the home, it could be tragic. I started imagining what I could do if that happened. Then, a giant man (looked to be about seven feet tall) turned a corner and faced me. I started splainin' real quick.
"Christopher? I work with your father. We came home for lunch."
He wasn't concerned at all. He just said "okay" and went back to his room.
I don't scare easily, but that scared the crap outta me.
My partner later told me the "boy" is 6’7”. Semantics

Old 03-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #744

Liked 236 Times on 167 Posts

Seems like a large 'man' in his 20's shouldn't be locked up in his room all day. Isn't there a school or job that would like his presence?

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 03-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #745
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6028 Times on 3301 Posts
Likes Given: 11517

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
Seems like a large 'man' in his 20's shouldn't be locked up in his room all day. Isn't there a school or job that would like his presence?
I thought all boys grew up to be men unless they died trying. This Peter Pan generation of eternal children changed that.
The kid works at Party City, probably part time.

no offense and none taken

Old 03-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #746

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

He could be the next "Herman Munster" if the program ever came back.

Highlight of the day, finding the bottle of NyQuil, fighting off one heck of a head cold.

Jim

Old 03-12-2014, 04:31 AM   #747
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2779 Times on 1910 Posts
Likes Given: 560

I guess the "Boy" doesn't play sports. That much "tall" can't be coached. If he had any athletic ability he'd have been playing Left Tackle in the NFL...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 03-12-2014, 04:38 AM   #748

highlight of my day at work!

got lots of time driving and doing pick-ups and deliveries. was suppose to spend the day at the shop ordering parts and billing out work orders. but i'll do that tomorrow. plus i have several peices of equipment that i got parts in the other day that i need to tackle. tomorrow is going to be busy, i can already tell.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:49 AM   #749
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7745 Times on 4474 Posts
Likes Given: 9996

Highlight of the day was the neighbor across the street gave VikingGal and me her member pass to Filoli. http://filoli.org/ where we spent the day touring the extensive gardens and the massive Georgian mansion. It is simply a staggeringly beautiful estate. Love the gardens.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:49 AM   #750
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 916 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I guess the "Boy" doesn't play sports. That much "tall" can't be coached. If he had any athletic ability he'd have been playing Left Tackle in the NFL...

Sometimes the height is all they got, I used to play basketball at recess in high school with a kid who was about 6'4 and not very coordinated. I am 5'9, he would come down with the rebound and I would take it away from him about 6 or 7 times out of ten. I am no real athlete either I probably couldn't jump higher than he could reach standing on the ground.

Why don't we have recess at work? It was the best part of school. No autopsy/no foul basketball, showing off for the girls sitting in the bleachers even though they acted like they were ignoring us. We never ate lunch we went straight to the gym so we would be playing on the court closest to were the girls would be sitting.