The highlight of my day was... - Page 100
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The highlight of my day was...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #991
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8722 Times on 5044 Posts
Likes Given: 11337

Spent Sunday with VikingGal and my landlords, we went to a community picnic where they were having a presentation by the Puma Project http://santacruzpumas.org but the neat part is that a local author had recently finished her history project on the community and was selling them for a discounted rate of $20 each. I went to buy one and the author said I had a complimentary copy coming! I had contributed some photos and content, plus I am mentioned a few times in it. It was nice to be recognized for the contributions. There were several others there who are in it so I signed their copies and they signed mine. Kind of like a high school yearbook!

It is also a little strange to be mentioned in a history book. Not sure how I feel about that but on the other hand I do like that I had the opportunity to edit the portions that mention me for accuracy....

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #992
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3358 Times on 2272 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Spent Sunday with VikingGal and my landlords, we went to a community picnic where they were having a presentation by the Puma Project http://santacruzpumas.org but the neat part is that a local author had recently finished her history project on the community and was selling them for a discounted rate of $20 each. I went to buy one and the author said I had a complimentary copy coming! I had contributed some photos and content, plus I am mentioned a few times in it. It was nice to be recognized for the contributions. There were several others there who are in it so I signed their copies and they signed mine. Kind of like a high school yearbook!

It is also a little strange to be mentioned in a history book. Not sure how I feel about that but on the other hand I do like that I had the opportunity to edit the portions that mention me for accuracy....

I will need a copy of that book for our press packets!!! For pull-Quotes;-)

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 08-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #993
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3073 Times on 1779 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

The highlight of my day is awakening to another day in the U.S.A., as flawed as our country is, it is still the greatest place to live in the history of mankind.

My thanks to all who have signed on the dotted line and been willing to come home in a body bag if need be, to all who stand ready to defend our God given and constitutional rights, to those who reach out to help our brothers and sisters in need, to all those that mentor the next generations, so that they will inherit a homeland worth awakening in every day.

That is the highlight of my day, so far, and I expect it to improve from here.

People Like This 
Old 08-14-2014, 01:24 AM   #994

Liked 503 Times on 276 Posts

Highlight of my day was getting the call from Bobski that skeet was still on after getting rained out yesterday.
My wife will be so happy that I have found yet another shooting hobby (insert sarcasm here)

Old 08-14-2014, 01:27 AM   #995
That looks like it hurt

Liked 690 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Making it home alive..............

Old 08-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #996

Liked 299 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Dropped daughter off at college yesterday.
Great opportunity for her, but I don't think she's really ready.........smart kid, done a lot (earned academic full ride)............dorm co-ed (but is honor's college). Her roommate a nice gal, not a party animal, conservative background.

Gonna be an adjustment, mom and dad not there to keep her focused.....or for her to get herself out of bed LOL.

Was going bio and art, dual major, which would have been 22 hrs a sem plus summer school, but she ditched art (not a bad artist- and I'd have been happy to see her pursue such a degree)..........and is just going bio. Wants $ and to do research, will still need a masters or more.
But the head of the dept said she could get started in research when she got there. That a big selling point.

Oh well, she'll either sink or swim.

Happy, but not sad........just kinda foggy. Still costing me $............guess I get to work 7 days a week instead of 6.

Watched a few K students come in yesterday, my kid probably the prettiest gal there so far (not kidding). That didn't help.

Thank goodness she's mean (and conservative). Yeah I know liberal academia will try to change that, but evidently they know the value of who/what she is...............since winning a full ride.
She'll make them look good in spite of any liberal BS they have.

Just want her safe and to succeed.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #997

Since she got a full ride, informed last minute BTW..............the other 10K in scholarship $ (earned elsewhere) she can't "bank". Deferred some in case of summer school, but the full ride scholarship, reduces some of their output by using some of the other scholarship stuff she won.

So my kid busts arse and wins a fair amount, that gets whittled away.
And some of it the school (HS) said she had to decline, due to taking the full ride offer.

She won "too much stuff".

With her not going dual major, and the state school bringing in a bit too much diversity (state program for cheaters and low income folks to get free ride- based on parent income at 7th or 8th grade only to qualify)............I'm kinda p*ssed.

If she didn't win the full ride, she could have gone with our plan of private school, and kept the full other scholarship earnings.

Which would have paid for the first 2 yrs.

Thankfully both private schools have said if it doesn't work out where she's at, their offers still stand.

Guess we'll know in a year.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #998

The state school did say she could study in Europe a bit, and that's next spring.
Of course no scholarship can be used.

So dad has to come up with a couple K for that.

No gun purchases for me..........for a while
Might even affect my getting a deer lease (where B&C bucks are known to travel- as I know that area very well).

Nerves bad yesterday, mom doing the room, kid and I went to get ordered books.........we did a half arsed lunch in the main cafe area. Just chillin' a bit, being together............rare time for us..............proud of her, but also bummed that the cute sweet little kid is now an adult.........and most of what happens from that day is based on her.

My kids were a blast when little. PITA as teens...........minor ways but the BS un-needed IMHO.
Just kinda weird...........letting her go.

Ya wonder did you do enough, did you do it right.............and even if you did, that still doesn't mean they aint gonna do whatever they want.

Not an issue of control, just general worry.............safety and making it toward the goal.

Worst case a crash n burn, come home, go local and become a prof here. Middle..........bomb out at state and go private. Hell, she might turn into a prof where she's at.

Do know that if she gets her masters, or higher...................she won't be living around here.

So that's a little bit of my issue. I might have let go a bit yesterday, but it may be leading to her going much farther away. And that just makes me sad.

She's on her way, away.

Last edited by Hookeye; 08-15-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-21-2014, 01:33 AM   #999
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7664 Times on 4606 Posts
Likes Given: 9581

.............my boss telling me he's so glad he hired me.

People Like This 
Old 08-21-2014, 01:48 AM   #1000
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21989 Times on 12399 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

highlight of my morning.

hearing an engine fire up for the first time, since it's been sitting on a pallet for the last seven or eight years.