High School Teaching as a Profession ? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > High School Teaching as a Profession ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
A week off in the spring, all summer off, 2 weeks off at Christmas, all paid......Plus a cushy govt retirement...sounds like a winner..
Teachers in Florida get a salary. Let's say the salary is $40,000. They can choose to get 12 paychecks or 10. They are not paid for time off. In Florida IIRC, there are about 190 school days. Their salary is based on 190 days worked.

Cushy gov't retirement? No. My father retired after 38 years. He gets about 45% of his salary. They took his 5 highest years and averaged it. He still pays top dollar for health care.

He has a Masters. Ending salary was around $60K. Teachers here hit the top of the pay scale at 25 years. That's after 38 years of work and 5 years in college. For comparison, my first year on the job(with no degree) was around $80K.

Teachers get no respect, are always under a microscope, are constantly undermined by administrators, have crappy benefits, and are not paid well considering all the responsibility and duties. That's how it works in Florida at least.

My father is now teaching soon to be teachers at a public big name university on classroom management. He advises students to choose a different career.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #72

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

With his retirement and SS he is getting around $50,000 a year plus taxpayer benefits. Why are you whining? He could have taken a competitive job in the private sector. He would have had to produce no Tenure out there. Do the job or go home.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
With his retirement and SS he is getting around $50,000 a year plus taxpayer benefits. Why are you whining? He could have taken a competitive job in the private sector. He would have had to produce no Tenure out there. Do the job or go home.
No tenure in the private sector, but you make a lot more money. My point is we shouldn't bash good teachers, they deal with way more than their salary justifies(just like LEOs, firefighters, EMTs, MIL).

A lot here have posted about all their paid time off, cushy retirement, and easy work day. It just isn't true. Many folks going to school to teach realize this and then change professions. The question is how do we attract good teachers who care and aren't liberal mouthpieces? The way public school teachers have it now, at least in Florida, there is a critical shortage. There is no way currently to attract good teachers in Florida other than lack of taxes and the weather.

Teaching is one of the five true professions. Teachers used to be respected and treated good. They have never been paid well, but as a group were good people. I agree that for the most part nowadays they are ultra liberal and the NEA is evil.

We should be focusing on getting good Americans into the profession instead of bashing those already in it. We should also focus on getting rid of the teachers who bring politics into the classroom.

I challenge anyone to teach for a whole school year in a public school. Then tell me how great and cushy the job is and tell me if you will be returning with a smile next school year.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #74

Liked 3137 Times on 1873 Posts
Likes Given: 2188

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
No tenure in the private sector, but you make a lot more money. My point is we shouldn't bash good teachers, they deal with way more than their salary justifies(just like LEOs, firefighters, EMTs, MIL).

A lot here have posted about all their paid time off, cushy retirement, and easy work day. It just isn't true. Many folks going to school to teach realize this and then change professions. The question is how do we attract good teachers who care and aren't liberal mouthpieces? The way public school teachers have it now, at least in Florida, there is a critical shortage. There is no way currently to attract good teachers in Florida other than lack of taxes and the weather.

Teaching is one of the five true professions. Teachers used to be respected and treated good. They have never been paid well, but as a group were good people. I agree that for the most part nowadays they are ultra liberal and the NEA is evil.

We should be focusing on getting good Americans into the profession instead of bashing those already in it. We should also focus on getting rid of the teachers who bring politics into the classroom.

I challenge anyone to teach for a whole school year in a public school. Then tell me how great and cushy the job is and tell me if you will be returning with a smile next school year.
ha! AMEN!

a 50% wash out rate in three years or less for people who train 4 years or more to get into the profession should tell you all you need to now. imo the most staunch critics of teachers would not last a full school year in public schools. big talkers, not walkers. if it bothers you.....get in there and change the system.....most people don't even have the guts to enter a classroom full of teens and take control and educate them. ( I openly admit i couldn't do it) what are you going to do when they act up? call their parents? HAW! this ain't 1950 anymore....the parents are more often THE PROBLEM than not!

well said....as for some of the posters who are avid with hate for people who choose to live their lives supporting their community, i'm afraid your post will not make an impact.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
yeah...private sector....full of innovators and hard workers OR full of extended breaks and career daydreamers? you want to find people who have perfected the art of WASTING TIME....you will find an abundance in the private sector.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #76

Quote:
Teachers in Florida get a salary. Let's say the salary is $40,000. They can choose to get 12 paychecks or 10. They are not paid for time off. In Florida IIRC, there are about 190 school days. Their salary is based on 190 days worked.

Cushy gov't retirement? No. My father retired after 38 years. He gets about 45% of his salary. They took his 5 highest years and averaged it. He still pays top dollar for health care.

He has a Masters. Ending salary was around $60K. Teachers here hit the top of the pay scale at 25 years. That's after 38 years of work and 5 years in college. For comparison, my first year on the job(with no degree) was around $80K.

Teachers get no respect, are always under a microscope, are constantly undermined by administrators, have crappy benefits, and are not paid well considering all the responsibility and duties. That's how it works in Florida at least.

My father is now teaching soon to be teachers at a public big name university on classroom management. He advises students to choose a different career.
nice try. a few posters here have a hard time with facts though.....

Old 10-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #77

out of this one....no hard feelings for anyone.

myself and a few other posters have laid out facts only to get returned with being called a democrat or just the same "lazy overpaid teacher lines".....haters gonna hate, as someone once told me...."can't talk sense into crazy..." lol....j/k

we'll go after the disgusting bloated health care industry in my next thread.....peace everyone!

Old 10-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #78

Liked 1902 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post

myself and a few other posters have laid out facts only to get returned with being called a democrat or just the same "lazy overpaid teacher lines".....haters gonna hate, as someone once told me...."can't talk sense into crazy..." lol....j/k

we'll go after the disgusting bloated health care industry in my next thread.....peace everyone!
Ok....Well...Come on back if you think of any more crazy stuff, or mis-information....

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 10-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post

I would say that I think RNs and other non-doctor healthcare workers are not paid well for what they do. They deal with a lot of scary stuff most of us wouldn't go near.

Without these people who would take care of us when we are vulnerable and hurt?

Blame the HMOs and insurance providers, that's where the bloat is.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #80

Liked 1902 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 2648

Quote:
I would say that I think RNs and other non-doctor healthcare workers are not paid well for what they do. They deal with a lot of scary stuff most of us wouldn't go near.

Without these people who would take care of us when we are vulnerable and hurt?

Blame the HMOs and insurance providers, that's where the bloat is.
I'm not an expert on our healthcare system, i'm sure there are some inefficiencies. RNs are paid very well..especially if you get your certs to specialize, or supervise like RG has. working 12hr-8 day shifts, you really get to know, and become emotionally attatched to the people you are caring for, and their families. It's hard when they get better and leave, and you never see them again. Even harder if they dont get better, and you lose them. Sometimes i just have to find a place to hide for 5 min, get it together, and get back to work... But i love my job,,wouldn't want to do anything else...

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Jagermeister Likes This