Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > High School Shop Class Horror

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default High School Shop Class Horror

Nod to JDP.

I was fondly remembering my junior high shop teacher, and wondering if you guys had the same experience.

Every tool in the shop had a dark and demonic history. Generally, a tool killed or maimed a kid a few years back.

The drill press, seemingly innocent, got that long haired queer 2 years ago. His hair got caught in it, and it twisted his neck until it broke.

Or that stupid kid, conveniently a student nobody knew, who didn't keep an eye on the band saw, when the blade snapped, shot out the bottom, and went through his ankle at a speed so great, that he didn't notice it till he took a step....

Shop urban legends?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2010, 04:44 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Our high school shop teacher was somekind of uber ninja and he could make it look like he just cut his hand off with a table saw and nothing would happen to him. He used to bet kids that he could get his hand from under the desk through the massive stapler on his desk and back in his lap before the kids could staple his hand. No one ever won the bet. He was a big time drunk too. Some say he was an SF guy in nam. I know he knew my platoon Sgt who was a SF guy with vietnam, camboidan and laotion jump wings.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:48 AM   #3

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

My shop teacher was a German (ex-nazi) with two fingers missing on his left hand.

I re-arranged his plug wires on his distributor one afternoon.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-16-2010, 04:52 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

We had the safety poster, it had a hand, the ring finger epidermis was ripped off, exposing bone, and the class ring next to it.

I had used power tools for years before shop class, and thanks to that class, a dremel makes me soil myself.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

No legend on this one !!

1982. South Torrance High School.. Metal shop class.. Was going to class and noticed a bunch of other kids looking at a hole in the cinder block wall on the side of the classroom.. We all went in to begin class. That day we were supposed to learn about the Oxy-Ace Torch that day...

Well, seems the oxygen tank was being replaced in "The Cart".. Some idiot was not careful and bumped the full tank knocking it over. Unfortunately, the tank fell over and the regulator hit one of the work tables and broke the regulator off turning the tank into a missle. The tank went through an 8 inch solid filled concrete wall..

Our "lesson" was supposed to be cutting up a junk car with a torch.. Instead, we got to cut up an old Chevy Vega with a sawsall. Damn, that was fun !!

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Old 02-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2260 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Cutting up a Vega with a sawzall? I'll bet that took all of 10 minutes.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

The table saw in wood shop caught on a knot in the wood and sent the 2x4 flying backwards through a metal skinned two inch thick wood door. (Legend had it)
“Always stand to the side of the saw while cutting”

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 02-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

We didn't even have shop class in high school. Thankfully my dad had a shop at home that I could learn in. Everything from a band saw to a welder to drawers full of air tools even a lathe and a mill.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

This one I know was true.

We had a print shop with an old Linotype Machine. (For you youngsters that is an old machine that melts lead into printable type as you type on a keyboard) Well the kid operating it forgot to fill all the gaps with spacers, and when he went to form the type molten lead sprayed out all over him. Second and third degree burns on his arm and neck.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 02-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Since it was mentioned, my teacher was missing fingers, too.

Hmmmm.....