High School G.P.A. and classes taken - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > High School G.P.A. and classes taken

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Graduated with a 2.6 GPA which was in the bottom 20% of my class but I took classes way above grade level, Calculus III, AP Lit, AP Physics. Failed them all miserably from laziness. Joined the military, got out and have a great job, I have a 2 year degree from the Air Force but its not in a relevant field.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #22

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I see a scary trend for most of us.

We wern't so much lazy as had the attitude that "I know this stuff already why do I need to learn it again." I have never seen such a diverse group of guys go threw high school the same way before. It was not until college when my thought process kicked in and said you better be getting good grades.

I could have had a 4.0 in high school been at the top of the class in just about anything. I just didn't care what other people thought.

I would get in school suspension once a year or maybe two. When that happened the VP would toss me the keys to his pick up and say take her down to the Auto shop and tune her up and change her oil for me. That meant to take all day puttering around with his truck and then bring it back to him washed waxed and oil changed. He never said to wash and wax it but I did anyways. Funny thing way his name was Mr. Ford and ............wait for it he drove nothing but chevy's......

Old 08-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #23

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Dropped out of High School, enlisted at the tender age of 17. Along the way have acquired a GED. Also an AAS, BS
Sounds just like me, except I am entirely to lazy to get my Masters. When I took the SAT in my junior year (70-71) scored 2nd in the school and 5th in the state - I wasn't stupid, just didn't like school.

Got to my first AF assignment, Forbes AFB KS, and was told that the AF required me to have a GED. Went to the education center the next morning and took the entire battery of tests. Didn't find out until weeks later that a lot of folks take them one at a time.

Scored 95 95 95 95 (highest possible) on the AQE (Air Force test, pre-ASVAB) and also turned down a seat at the AF Academy which was offered due to my test scores. No regrets as I wouldn't have been a very good officer - much to opinionated.

GPA was somewhere around 3.7 if I remember right...

Old 08-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I don't remember my GPA (I am not one that cares) in high school. Graduated in the top 75% at 17. BS in LE/Police Science (took 5 years).
I am one of the few people I know actually using his degree. I just started me 25th year and can retire in about a year although I will likely go to 30.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I didn't give a crap about my grades in high school. I was too busy playing sports, going to parties and working on cars to spend time studying. I averaged B's most of the time in upper level classes. I went to college and it was the same thing. Took some time off and decided I should force myself to get a degree....I did, a BA in Music. I'll never use it. Would have been better off just going to work because here in about 2 weeks you know what I'll be doing for a living.....
restoring cars.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #26

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
My ex-wifey was Magna Cum Laude at Miami of Ohio. She makes tons of $. Still, she is the hottest real world biatch ever! Go figure...
But she's still your ex!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #27

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I see a scary trend for most of us.

We wern't so much lazy as had the attitude that "I know this stuff already why do I need to learn it again." I have never seen such a diverse group of guys go threw high school the same way before. It was not until college when my thought process kicked in and said you better be getting good grades.

I could have had a 4.0 in high school been at the top of the class in just about anything. I just didn't care what other people thought.

I would get in school suspension once a year or maybe two. When that happened the VP would toss me the keys to his pick up and say take her down to the Auto shop and tune her up and change her oil for me. That meant to take all day puttering around with his truck and then bring it back to him washed waxed and oil changed. He never said to wash and wax it but I did anyways. Funny thing way his name was Mr. Ford and ............wait for it he drove nothing but chevy's......
I concur. Books that were assigned, I had already read on my own in grade school. I would often correct teachers, do controversial assignments, the whole affair was tedious, at best.

I went everywhere in the military, so that was my Social Studies. Not playing with a countries GDP, but interacting with it's people. If I was somewhere for any length of time, I worked on the language, and refused to patronize the "G.I." hangouts. I'd party with the people, check their museums, try to absorb the culture.

I think reading opens tons of doors, it's basic, and yet public schools have failed in pushing it to the extent it needs to be pushed.

Not to offend anybody, but education is overrated, experience drives lessons home.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #28

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
I concur. I went everywhere in the military, so that was my Social Studies. Not playing with a countries GDP, but interacting with it's people. If I was somewhere for any length of time, I worked on the language, and refused to patronize the "G.I." hangouts. I'd party with the people, check their museums, try to absorb the culture.

I think reading opens tons of doors, it's basic, and yet public schools have failed in pushing it to the extent it needs to be pushed.

Not to offend anybody, but education is overrated, experience drives lessons home.

I concur as well. Most of my extensive, valued and cognitive education did take place in the military and is my general bases of foundation for continued education. Real world, real learning situations, real life. Nicely put BB.

Jack............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #29

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
But she's still your ex!
And I thank the Lord for that daily!! This wife says last wife was my practice wife. Divorced in '93, and happiness quickly followed.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #30

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow this is a pretty good thread.

Don't know what my GPA was (Don't think we had those in 1961), but did graduate at the age of 16.5. Went to Ohio State U. for 2 semesters, came home told my father I was brain dead and was not going back (PS: my oldest son went 2 semesters at ASU and came home and told me the same thing - I understood).

Got a job in a machine shop, became skilled at high tolerance machining and bearing development. Got boored and went to work for TRW as a parts picker (why you say - work was 2 hours a day (got paid for 8) and was with in $50/week where I worked before). Went to a private Computer school. Did well and the instructor offered me a job. Got promoted to a manager, 6 months later was in intensive care with a bleeding ulcer. Decided to give up the mgmt thing right there.

Left Ohio, and went to Arizona - fell in love with this place. Went to work as a tech for several large corps - really didn't like it. Found a private software co, designed, developed large Main frame software for them. Was promoted to General manager (300 people below me) - but this time I was smarter (no ulcers). Co was sold, and I lost my job (but did get some great compensation like over $600k). Was mad and Started my own software company - spent $2.4 million of mine and some other peoples money and went belly up after 2 yrs. Oh well.

Went to work for a large Hardware company and got the dream job - A systems engineer. All I had to do is keep my sales reps happy and help them make some money. PS: I worked at this job for 18yrs and actually left them for retirement. But in mean time I still wanted my own software company. Decided the risks were to much, but a software product that I could develop and sell to somebody and take royalities was the key. It worked - made more money that I knew what to do with. Paid more taxes than you can even imagine, but I also spent a ton, while still working for that Hardware Company. Retired in 1999 @ age 55 with my orginal wife of 1964 and haven't ever looked back !

Sometimes you really don't need a full college education (I only had partial classes with no degree), you just need to make some goals and execute them.