High School --- 1957 Vs 2011 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > High School --- 1957 Vs 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 327 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Steven fails a test exam. He takes it hard and is found crying and emotional by his teacher, Mary. Mary talks to him, reassures him, and pats him on the shoulders to comfort him.

1957 – In a short time, Steven feels better and is confidant and determined to do better on the next exam in the future.

2011 - This would never happen as there are no grades given out anymore. Grades are not fair. It makes the stupid kids feel more stupid and the smart kids feel bad because they are smarter than the stupid kid. So all grades are abolished and we now give a simile or a gold star. This way no one feels bad about them self.
I think this no grade thing started with the Bell curve. As best that I can remember the Bell curve was starting to be used in the early 1970's in the High School I attended. In my college prep classes no, but in my elective classes yes. It was deemed as fair and did make the dumb a$$es feel better, or at least give them the illusion that they were somebody. My friends back then thought this Bell curve was a Communist plot. My daughter was born in 1982 and she is telling me that the kids used to get letter grades, like in the old days, until about thrid grade for her, then they got S or O for satifactroy or outstanding.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:23 AM   #22

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I remember in elementary school, we had F (fail) U(unsatisfactory) S (satisfactory) and ... something else that meant real damn good, I got it all the time but can't remember what it was XD, in middle and highschool we had standard grades A B C D F and no bell curve, 70 or lower was fail... but they didn't fail anyone in middleschool, it was a new school and there was something about "not being able to fail people for the first 3 years" or some bull crap, the kids found out and there were literally kids who would do absolutely no work at all whatsoever and passed... In highschool they suffered and most dropped out at 18. Many of those that dropped out are now dead or in jail. My graduating class had around 130 kids and 5 years later around 115 of those kids are still alive

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 06-21-2011, 02:03 AM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

All this talk of High School reminds me of a song, like to play it for you, here it is.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #24

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
As a parent with 2 childern with ADD where is all this extra money you speak about?

I have seen none of it. My kids don't get any slack in school or at home because of it.
One has to apply for SSI and SSD.

Your a good parent. IMO, good parents discipline their children when needed and do not put up with their BS. They set good examples, and take interest in their children. Parents don't spare the rod when it is needed and should teach the consequences of unwanted and unacceptable actions and behaviors. They don't spoil the child, but provide for their needs and praise them for achievement. Respect and trust is earned and shared, by both the parents and the child, and love should be a by-product of the aforementioned.

BTW, I was born in '57 and I started HS in '70, but a lot of the 1957 values were still in play back then.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 06-21-2011 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Added content & grammer

Old 06-21-2011, 02:23 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

1978 (I can't go back to 1957) Little girl comes to school crying and upset. teacher pulls her aside and talks to her, gives her a hug and a cookie. Everyone else gets mad cause they don't have a cookie. Teacher tells them to shut up before they get a whooping. Everyone shuts up and does their work, little girl feels better.

2011 Teacher is afraid to even look at little girl funny much less hug her and it's against policy to give her anything to eat. Little girl spends the day sad and worried with no affection. She learns that no one cares about her and she lives alone inside herself.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 06-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #26

Liked 1215 Times on 870 Posts
Likes Given: 620

1957 : Disney had good wholesome and educational cartoons and show

2011 : Disney shows 12yr middle school kids wearing mini skirts making out in the hall way . 12 yro actress grows up to be a celebrity who is always in the news for drugs and drinking and somehow they are still role models .

My dad told me a story the other night about when he was a prison guard and shot 5 inmates going over the fence one night killing one of them . He was patted on the back and giving a promotion and the other tower guard were fired for not shooting . Pops said he kept shooting till the captian stopped him .

1970's : Pops is the man and patted on the back by many big whigs
and praised by the general public , inmates respect him more now

2011 : Pops is fired , locked up and gets the hair sued off of him for shooting inmates the were escaping ,state is also sued , gun maker is sued , the arresting officers are sued . Prison does away with guns and told to use stern verbal comands then the inmates get t-bone steaks , sex changes , and on-demand while the guards take paycuts . The liberals hold rallies for prisoner rights and get what they want

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Last edited by MobileMarine; 06-22-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:00 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This thread is depressing. What the hell has happened to our great nation?

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 06-22-2011, 01:18 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1287 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I graduated HS in 1966 and I remember friends going hunting before school, and bringing their shotguns to school in a car or pick up.

My son graduated in 2001. In 2000 they searched the cars in the student lot and found a kid with a box cutter and expelled him. He worked at Home Depot overnight to earn college money and came right to work from school. Apparantly not a good reason to have that box cutter in the car.

By the way, that kid now is a PHD and teaches at a university in the South West. I guess he was a real risk there.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:25 AM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
This thread is depressing. What the hell has happened to our great nation?
When I was getting my bachelor's degree. I used to read in a room that was designated for computer use in the Psych department. I had some extra time between classes and I was reading The American Rifleman and I suddenly found myself surrounded by security. One of the students saw what I was reading and called security on me; because of a picture of a gun! They asked me what my intentions are and I said: "Well, I thought about looking at the pretty pictures and reading the words under them and then .... turning the page and doing it all over again." He actually laughed and left me alone. I never read a gun rag at Campus again.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 06-22-2011, 01:31 AM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
When I was getting my bachelor's degree. I used to read in a room that was designated for computer use in the Psych department. I had some extra time between classes and I was reading The American Rifleman and I suddenly found myself surrounded by security. One of the students saw what I was reading and called security on me; because of a picture of a gun! They asked me what my intentions are and I said: "Well, I thought about looking at the pretty pictures and reading the words under them and then .... turning the page and doing it all over again." He actually laughed and left me alone. I never read a gun rag at Campus again.
That's funny

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/