Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > High power rifle for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As unhandy as a rifle would be, his .22/250 would be the best candidate for apartment use. Load it with VERY fast expanding 40-50 gr bullet varmint loads such as you would use on prairie dogs. Those bullets blow up on blades of grass so they shouldn't overpenetrate on a wall. Buying the man a shotgun or handgun would be the best bet by far.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #22

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I keep an sks loaded up in my room, along with a wasr 10, Mossberg 590a1, and multiple handguns, But would it be my first choice if i hear a bump in the night? No id go for my Mossberg or one of my many handguns...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss99 View Post
So I had a good friend of mine ask me a question about firearms tonight that I usually would be able to answer no sweat (aside from 'smithing JD, Bear...).

He owns a few hunting rifles (.22-250, .243, 300 mag) and is one of the hundreds who are unemployed, so money is tight. He just moved to an apartment (not exactly a great part of town) since he and his family couldn't afford their house anymore. He is absolutely against selling any one of his precious rifles and asked me what I would use as a HD high power rifle round. This is the part where I had absolutely no clue what to tell him. I've had my pistol for as long as I can remember, thus, never thought of using an over penetrating, super velocity rifle as a "defensive" solution. Now, being the awesome friend I am, I told him he could borrow my P99 after my 1911 comes in, which may be weeks, months, or days.

My question to you is this... If all you had was a rifle, what kind of ammo would you use? Keep in mind he lives in an apartment so extreme expansion and the least penetration is key. I have researched and glasers are not available in his calibers.

Thank you for your insight.
I don't think anyone would want to use a high-powered rifle for home defense. That would be like bringing a bazooka to a knife fight. It's just plain overkill. Anyway, I use a 30-06 for hunting. It's always accurate and it has plenty of stopping power.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:46 AM   #24
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Best thing you can do if this guy is a good friend be honest with him and explain that where he lives he needs a good HD firearm. He has three rifles and should be able to choose one to sell for a HD firearm. I fully understand pride but that shoul;dn't get in the way of keeping his family safe.

Last fall a friend of mine hit hard times and asked if I wanted to buy his pistol. I knew it was the only one that he had and told him he should keep it for HD. He said he truly needed the cash, I offered to loan him the money and he refused. So I bought his pistol, when I was getting ready to leave his house I asked him if I could leave the pistol with him as I wasn't heading straight home and didn't want to leave it in the car. He agreed and all was good for a few months. Then he got a little touchy and told me he didn't need charity and demanded I take the pistol home. I explained calmly that if I took the pistol home and something bad happened at his house I could live with myself knowing I had his HD pistol. It took a few seconds for it to sink in but he got it. What I learned is in the future I would be painfuly honest with a good friend from the start concerning an issue like this instead of trying to step around his pride. I think we are better friend now than before simply because I showed him that the well being of him and his family is important.

In these tough times sometimes you have to put pride aside and do whats best for you and yours. He might need to hear that from a friend.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:54 AM   #25

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
I don't think anyone would want to use a high-powered rifle for home defense. That would be like bringing a bazooka to a knife fight. It's just plain overkill. Anyway, I use a 30-06 for hunting. It's always accurate and it has plenty of stopping power.
I think Stalkingbear had it right. If that is all your friend has then go with varmant loads...basically fragmenters. Don't listen to those who have no experience or only use their dad's guns for hunting large game. It has nothing to do with the topic. Varmant loads if you can find them...

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-01-2009, 03:21 AM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Humility is such a hard lesson to learn, especially for men. Sometimes it takes extreme circumstances to learn humility.

If any of you guys out there run into a situation like this just let your friends help you. That's what they're there for!

I like the idea of "storing" a shotgun there that someone suggested. I think that is pretty tactical.