Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > High power rifle for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default High power rifle for home defense

So I had a good friend of mine ask me a question about firearms tonight that I usually would be able to answer no sweat (aside from 'smithing JD, Bear...).

He owns a few hunting rifles (.22-250, .243, 300 mag) and is one of the hundreds who are unemployed, so money is tight. He just moved to an apartment (not exactly a great part of town) since he and his family couldn't afford their house anymore. He is absolutely against selling any one of his precious rifles and asked me what I would use as a HD high power rifle round. This is the part where I had absolutely no clue what to tell him. I've had my pistol for as long as I can remember, thus, never thought of using an over penetrating, super velocity rifle as a "defensive" solution. Now, being the awesome friend I am, I told him he could borrow my P99 after my 1911 comes in, which may be weeks, months, or days.

My question to you is this... If all you had was a rifle, what kind of ammo would you use? Keep in mind he lives in an apartment so extreme expansion and the least penetration is key. I have researched and glasers are not available in his calibers.

Thank you for your insight.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Last edited by Moss99; 09-30-2009 at 03:21 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2009, 03:16 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good question!! And I don't know??? I believe I would find a way to get a low cost pistol, like High Point's 9mm. Their 9mm Carbine is inexpensive as well.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:22 AM   #3

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

He is responsible for any round fired.Believe me a 22-250 can take down a caribou, that's mostly what the Inuit use for a hunting rifle. I personally would not fire a rifle at an intruder. Tell him to go find an old Maverick 12ga for 100bucks.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 AM   #4

I appreciate the solutions for purchasing an alternative weapon. I assure you I have offered him the alternatives, I offered to buy him a $185 NEF pardner pump down at Gander, but being the proud, stubborn, former infantry member that he is, he has absolutely refused. Now, call me selfish and/but I do live in a better part of town, and I did offer him my P99 after i'm able to pick up my 1911, but I will not take the chance of being in my house with my #1 squeeze (fiancee) without protection.

Please keep this simple, there are NO other solutions. Just a rifle.

Thank you.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 09-30-2009, 04:07 AM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Trade or sell that .22-250 for a 12 gauge Tactical Mossy 500 shotty and a Ruger 10/22. That way he has a good HD weapon and a decent small varmint plinker.

JACK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-30-2009, 04:08 AM   #6

I believe if he wants it to not go through walls he would have to either use Hollow points or soft lead bullets....otherwise he really just needs to get a shotgun or revolver.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:13 AM   #7

After all is said, if he won't part with any of his rifles and won't take the loan of $185 then buy him a ball bat and wish him luck.

It's a life and perhaps the life of someone he cares about. If he shoots an intruder with one of those cannons, he might just wind up in jail if the shot causes injury to an innocent in another apartment a block away.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:26 AM   #8

If you or your friend reloads, I'd suggest these: Products .
A lot of folks will argue against handloads for SD, but depending on your geographical and political location, it's not always a bad thing, especially if you can prove that the rounds were loaded with safety in mind. This is not just an idea I retrieved from my anally-situated filing system, it actually came from from my local PD officers. Now, I wouldn't want to go before a jury in, say Los angeles with this defense, but here in Tx, I'd feel more than confident.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:34 AM   #9

I personally wouldn't want any low base loaded shells around to get confused with the high base shells I use for hunting. I did consider that alternative for him but after you buy the dies, bullets primers and casings, why not just buy a SD weapon?

Old 09-30-2009, 04:53 AM   #10

Single Shot shotguns are dirt cheap. If he can't afford one, maybe you can. God forbid he needs it but shotgun ammo is much more forgiving in communal living.

That high power stuff is for distance.