Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   High power rifle for home defense (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/high-power-rifle-home-defense-18688/)

Moss99 09-30-2009 03:10 AM

High power rifle for home defense

So I had a good friend of mine ask me a question about firearms tonight that I usually would be able to answer no sweat (aside from 'smithing JD, Bear...).

He owns a few hunting rifles (.22-250, .243, 300 mag) and is one of the hundreds who are unemployed, so money is tight. He just moved to an apartment (not exactly a great part of town) since he and his family couldn't afford their house anymore. He is absolutely against selling any one of his precious rifles and asked me what I would use as a HD high power rifle round. This is the part where I had absolutely no clue what to tell him. I've had my pistol for as long as I can remember, thus, never thought of using an over penetrating, super velocity rifle as a "defensive" solution. Now, being the awesome friend I am, I told him he could borrow my P99 after my 1911 comes in, which may be weeks, months, or days.

My question to you is this... If all you had was a rifle, what kind of ammo would you use? Keep in mind he lives in an apartment so extreme expansion and the least penetration is key. I have researched and glasers are not available in his calibers.

Thank you for your insight.

dunerunner 09-30-2009 03:16 AM

Good question!! And I don't know??? I believe I would find a way to get a low cost pistol, like High Point's 9mm. Their 9mm Carbine is inexpensive as well.

davemccarthy707 09-30-2009 03:22 AM

He is responsible for any round fired.Believe me a 22-250 can take down a caribou, that's mostly what the Inuit use for a hunting rifle. I personally would not fire a rifle at an intruder. Tell him to go find an old Maverick 12ga for 100bucks.

Moss99 09-30-2009 03:57 AM

I appreciate the solutions for purchasing an alternative weapon. I assure you I have offered him the alternatives, I offered to buy him a $185 NEF pardner pump down at Gander, but being the proud, stubborn, former infantry member that he is, he has absolutely refused. Now, call me selfish and/but I do live in a better part of town, and I did offer him my P99 after i'm able to pick up my 1911, but I will not take the chance of being in my house with my #1 squeeze (fiancee) without protection.

Please keep this simple, there are NO other solutions. Just a rifle.

Thank you.

IGETEVEN 09-30-2009 04:07 AM

Trade or sell that .22-250 for a 12 gauge Tactical Mossy 500 shotty and a Ruger 10/22. That way he has a good HD weapon and a decent small varmint plinker. :)

JACK

JiroZero713 09-30-2009 04:08 AM

I believe if he wants it to not go through walls he would have to either use Hollow points or soft lead bullets....otherwise he really just needs to get a shotgun or revolver.

dunerunner 09-30-2009 04:13 AM

After all is said, if he won't part with any of his rifles and won't take the loan of $185 then buy him a ball bat and wish him luck.

It's a life and perhaps the life of someone he cares about. If he shoots an intruder with one of those cannons, he might just wind up in jail if the shot causes injury to an innocent in another apartment a block away.

toolman 09-30-2009 04:26 AM

If you or your friend reloads, I'd suggest these: Products .
A lot of folks will argue against handloads for SD, but depending on your geographical and political location, it's not always a bad thing, especially if you can prove that the rounds were loaded with safety in mind. This is not just an idea I retrieved from my anally-situated filing system, it actually came from from my local PD officers. Now, I wouldn't want to go before a jury in, say Los angeles with this defense, but here in Tx, I'd feel more than confident.

dunerunner 09-30-2009 04:34 AM

I personally wouldn't want any low base loaded shells around to get confused with the high base shells I use for hunting. I did consider that alternative for him but after you buy the dies, bullets primers and casings, why not just buy a SD weapon?

bgeddes 09-30-2009 04:53 AM

Single Shot shotguns are dirt cheap. If he can't afford one, maybe you can. God forbid he needs it but shotgun ammo is much more forgiving in communal living.

That high power stuff is for distance.