Hi-Point Firearms questions - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Hi-Point Firearms questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2008, 04:44 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolshark13 View Post
last night my mom caught a burglar breaking into her house. i dont live at home, and my gun safe is kept at her house. well she went to the basement and took out my shotgun. caught the guy in the kitchen (which is at the top of the basement staircase where the safe is) cocked the gun, told him to get out or lay on the ground till the cops showed. he ran, and she was glad she didn't have to shoot someone, but she wants me to take her to get a shotgun of her own. she knew my 12 ga would knock her on her ass, so she wants a nice 20 ga. im getting my old shotgun back from my dad for her to work with and see how she likes it.
@ poolshark13 - Wow! That's NOT cool. And was more than likely a scary event for your mother. I hope she is ok and feeling well. The good part is that she thought quickly and did the right thing. Big thumbs up to her for keeping a clear head and having the courage to stand up for herself.
@RL357Mag - Cool. I was hoping those Heritage rough riders were worth getting. Sounds to me like they might be worth getting just for something fun to shoot. I think it will be a good "first" revolver anyway.

I actually found out there is a gun show in Des Moines in a little less than a month and I am trying to save up enough money to make it worth my while to go up there, so at the moment I am not buying anything until the show. I am hoping to find a great bargain. I have never been to a gun show so it should be a fun experience either way.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:29 PM   #22

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
That's a scary event for sure! Where do you live?
In a very bright city in the southwest. The only bad thing is having to register handguns. No license to purchase needed, but a notice has to be sent to the Sheriff and you must carry the reg card with the gun. Completely free on long guns. Oh, and we have open carry too!!!

9x18=Makarov

Old 05-31-2008, 07:31 PM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
I actually found out there is a gun show in Des Moines in a little less than a month and I am trying to save up enough money to make it worth my while to go up there, so at the moment I am not buying anything until the show. I am hoping to find a great bargain. I have never been to a gun show so it should be a fun experience either way.
First gun show? Here's a tale or two from my gun show visits....

9x18=Makarov

Old 06-01-2008, 02:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
First gun show? Here's a tale or two from my gun show visits....
Nice stories ScottG. I thoroughly enjoyed all three of them.
After reading one that was mentioning prices being more expensive than usual from time to time, I was thinking to maybe make a list of some particular guns I have been looking at and their internet prices. That way I have some sort of comparison when looking around.
Saving my pennies as we speak. I would like to have at least $300.00 to burn while I am there. I was thinking that should be enough to get me SOMETHING cool.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
In a very bright city in the southwest. The only bad thing is having to register handguns. No license to purchase needed, but a notice has to be sent to the Sheriff and you must carry the reg card with the gun. Completely free on long guns. Oh, and we have open carry too!!!
Sounds like Arizona - I have a buddy in Mesa who carries open - he told me you can get in trouble for carrying concealed or not having the gun visible in the car if you get pulled over...just the opposite here - gun must be concealed or you can lose your permit. Our first gun goes on our permit, all subsequent purchases require an "amendment" to the permit(which looks like another permit, describing the gun, serial number and passport type photo),and must be carried with the gun as well as the permit. They charge a small fee for every additional "amendment". Money-hungry bastards...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
@ poolshark13 - I actually found out there is a gun show in Des Moines in a little less than a month and I am trying to save up enough money to make it worth my while to go up there, so at the moment I am not buying anything until the show. I am hoping to find a great bargain. I have never been to a gun show so it should be a fun experience either way.

While gun shows are neat in terms of being able to look at things you can't see at WalMart or the local gunshop, I have found, here in NY at least, that just about all guns that aren't beat to **** are more expensive at shows than anywhere else! That said, I have purchased all my old Military long guns at shows for reasonable prices - 15 years ago... About the only thing you can find cheaper at shows is ammo & bumper-stickers! - and not all of the ammo is cheap. I do most of my shopping from catalogs and online stores now...I have a friend with an FFL who I buy all my guns from.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #27

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Nice stories ScottG. I thoroughly enjoyed all three of them.
After reading one that was mentioning prices being more expensive than usual from time to time, I was thinking to maybe make a list of some particular guns I have been looking at and their internet prices. That way I have some sort of comparison when looking around.
Saving my pennies as we speak. I would like to have at least $300.00 to burn while I am there. I was thinking that should be enough to get me SOMETHING cool.
Thanks for reading. $300 is more than enough if you're not looking to actually buy a gun. I don't go looking for a specific gun, I look for something I might be interested in and hope to find for a good price. I mostly go now for ammo and targets and accessories.

9x18=Makarov

Old 06-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Hi-points are ugly, poorly constructed and have bad ergonomics. My wife's .380, though, has never misfed and never failed to go bang when the trigger is pulled. It has decent accuracy, even with cheap ammo.

I paid a little over $100 for it with tax, licensing and 5 boxes of ammo. We've got at least $100 worth of fun out of it. I'd try to steer someone away from buying them in favor of a higher quality firearm, but they do function well and the company backs their product very well.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Hi-points are ugly, poorly constructed and have bad ergonomics. My wife's .380, though, has never misfed and never failed to go bang when the trigger is pulled. It has decent accuracy, even with cheap ammo.

I paid a little over $100 for it with tax, licensing and 5 boxes of ammo. We've got at least $100 worth of fun out of it. I'd try to steer someone away from buying them in favor of a higher quality firearm, but they do function well and the company backs their product very well.
Yeah, I sort of have this plan in my head to buy two "cheap" handguns. One being a Hi-point and the other a Heritage rough rider. Then after that just saving up for a while and start buying "nicer" quality guns.

Right now I still only have my Marlin 60 and I want to increase my collection some, and try to do it as soon as possible of course. So I thought, just buy a couple of cheaper but "generally reliable" guns and "work my way up" from there. I am just wanting some more variety at the moment to be quite honest. I have been wanting a 22 caliber pistol and a revolver so the Heritage takes care of those 2 wishes for now. I am also wanting to get a 9mm handgun so I was thinking that the Hi-point would work for now.

Thanks again everyone for your valuable input and advice. I really appreciate the hints, tips, and suggestions.

Last edited by painted_klown; 06-03-2008 at 07:07 PM.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:08 AM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, I sort of have this plan in my head to buy two "cheap" handguns. One being a Hi-point and the other a Heritage rough rider. Then after that just saving up for a while and start buying "nicer" quality guns.
To hell with two cheap guns, just get one nice one. It's better to have one gun that works reliably, than two that you can't be sure of.