Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Hi-Point Firearms questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/hi-point-firearms-questions-4596/)

painted_klown 05-24-2008 02:21 AM

Hi-Point Firearms questions

Hey all. As those that have read my threads, I am usually seeking advice/gun buying tips. Well I went to a gun shop in Missouri today and discovered a company named Hi-Point firearms.
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/
They seem to be sort of a poor mans Taurus with their unlimited lifetime warranties, and they are made in the good 'ol U.S.A. to boot!!! :D
Has anyone had any experience with these guns? Are they worth buying? The retail prices certainly are VERY reasonable. I am thinking if I like them and they are worth getting, I could get a nice start on my gun collection. Does anyone know about the reliability of these? Are they accurate, ect...

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. I apologize for the myriad of questions, I am just trying to gain an education and make informed decisions on my purchases. With the cost of guns, I don't want to regret buying one when I discover that a better deal was to be had and now I am stuck with a gun I wish I hadn't bought.:rolleyes:

allmons 05-24-2008 06:55 PM

Well, you've opened a can of worms now...

The pistols are reportedly of mediocre quality, fit the hand strangely ( for most folks ) and have a propensity to jam. If someone gave me one, I would be most happy and would shoot it some. I personally would NOT use it for concealed carry or a duty weapon. There have allegedly been some reliability issues.

It is only fair to tell you the I am an old fart who has never been able to keep 1911 style pistols functioning. I gave up on them years ago and switched to Glocks because they frickin' work and you don't need an engineering degree to get the dang things to go "BANG"!

I am very glad that there are firearms manufacturers who make lower cost guns, and I wish them well. Not all of us can afford a $1200 1911 clone
( which still jam like my $350 1911 clone, by the way ).

Now for the good news - the HiPoint carbine in 9 mm is SUPERB! Around $200 and an absolute hoot to shoot. Looks very awkward, but handles very well.

So my bottom line is: if it fits your hand and you like it, buy it. There will be those gun "experts" who will disparage you and your gun choice, but you should buy what you like. If it works for you, don't worry about what anyone else thinks. I must say the HiPoint .45 has always fascinated me; maybe I need to get one to play with.

Now just wait ... in a little while there will be someone who comes along here to tell us how dumb we are for thinking about buying HiPoints...

;)

RL357Mag 05-24-2008 07:09 PM

I agree with Allmons. I would think twice about buying a HiPoint pistol, but I have the 4095 Carbine (.40 cal version of the 995) and I love it! It weighs nothing and is short and very comfortable to shoot. It is superbly accurate (sub 2" groups at 50 yds with open sights) and has rarely jammed. It feeds any ammo reliably and with the right ammo is deadly and produces accuracy and energy which far surpasses what is needed for self-defense or casual plinking (maybe even short-range hunting). I bought it to compliment my .40 Beretta. I had a problem with mine due to negligence on my part I believe. I shoot reloads and I prepared some 200 gr. Hornady XTP ammo late one night. I either had a contaminated primer, or I forgot to charge one case with powder, because I ended up with several bullets backed-up in the barrel! I never felt a reduction in recoil energy nor did I fail to hear a round going off, but after no hits on target, which was VERY strange given the accuracy of this gun, I observed a bullet head sticking half-way out of the barrel! Attempting to pull it out only resulted in the lead coming out but the jacket staying behind. I tried drilling it out and the drill bit broke, indicating another bullet behind the first one. I suspect I had at least 2 or more bullets stuck in the barrel. I am amazed that the barrel did not bulge or burst. Totally disgusted, I called HiPoint (Beemiller Inc.) and explained what happened. They said to mail it in with a copy of the receipt (which I fortunately had). Keep in mind that their warranty is invalidated if reloads are used. I removed the bolt handle so it would fit in the original box ( the gun is shipped with the bolt handle removed for ease of packaging) , I removed the sling, and I did not send the magazine with the gun. Within 10 days I had the gun returned with:

1. A new Barrel
2. A new Sling
3. A new magazine.
4. A new stock
5. A scope mount
6. A letter stating that the armorer "buffed" the trigger ( the trigger's are nothing to write home about on these guns)
All in all, I am very impressed with the gun and more impressed with the service I received. The gun was over 4 years old when I sent it in for repairs - they have a lifetime warranty. If I could not afford anything else I would probably buy one of their pistols because it would be better than nothing. Hope this helps!

painted_klown 05-24-2008 09:45 PM

Both of your posts are a bit confusing regarding your opinions. At first you are saying "beware" then you go on to have what seems to be great things to say about them. Maybe I am missing something or perhaps there is just a couple of models that are worth getting.:confused:

Thanks for the reviews guys. I happened to stumble across a very positive review for them last night as well.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/hipoint_100605/
Maybe it's my ignorance or "new kid" enthusiasm (where all guns seem cool) but I am REALLY leaning toward getting one. I just like to have a lot of different opinions (both good and bad) so I can weigh the options before I plunk down my money. I don't want to buy one if it's just going to be a headache to shoot though. (ie. frequent jamming, pieces breaking, gun falls apart, horribly inaccurate, ect..) Thanks again and please keep the reviews coming all. :)

TMCXJ 05-25-2008 12:57 AM

I don't care at all for opinions (particularly the negative ones) from people that do not own and likely never fired a gun of the type they're criticizing. I've heard and read tons of negative stuff about HiPoint, but invariablly it is of the opinions I just mentioned.

Now, not to be a hypocrite, I do not own a HiPoint. But I HAVE fired several of them. They're an ugly duckling, to be sure, but the were good shooters. I plan to get at least one .40 and a .45 in the handgun, and am definitely getting a rifle in .40 - as mentioned above, they are a ton of fun to shoot and are quite accurate; I'm fortunate to have co-workers with similar interests.

I say for the price, get one - you can't go wrong. Not too long ago, I saw on one of the gun auction sites where a seller had two (2) .45's for sale together, IIRC the buy-it-now price was under $300.00, NIB... You have no idea how tempted I was to pounce on that!

Anyhow, I'd get one, if you don't like it, holler - I'll take it off your hands. :)

Good luck to you, and keep us posted!
- Tim

Catfish 05-25-2008 01:03 AM

I`ve never owned one, but have talked to alot of people that have. Consencess of oppenion seem to be they are very cheaply made and nothing to look at. Most prople that own them seem to think that they funtion very well. About 80% of the people that have owned them love them. Abt. 10% think they are very good for the price and 10% think they are junk. The other post may have confussed you, but they sounded right on to me. Most people that buy them just figure that if they don`t like the gun they`re not out much.

RL357Mag 05-25-2008 01:48 PM

I have nothing but good things to say for the Carbine - I would buy another one. I have no experience with their pistols, but they are not pretty. If the pistols are as reliable as the carbines I would buy one, but for a primary carry weapon I would choose something else for the following reason. My first gun was a Rossi .357 Stainless Vented/Ported revolver. It cost me $262 15 years ago. I thought it was a great buy - it looked sharp. I sent it back for repairs when I couldn't get it to shoot straight. They re-barreled it for free - good service. Now I notice that sometimes when I cock it to shoot manually (not in DA mode) the hammer and trigger bind. It's still functional, but I wouldn't buy another Rossi pistol. I should have spent $400 originally and bought a S&W. Like I said, for your primary self-defense gun, get a quality piece and you won't regret it or wonder if it will go "bang" when you need it to...

painted_klown 05-26-2008 01:18 AM

After checking into Hi-point firearms some more, I think I am going to get one. I will probably just end up getting whatever one I can find first but I would really like the 9mm or .45.

It may be a little while before I make that purchase however. I am still heavily considering the Heritage rough rider revolver.

I will let you all know what I end up getting and give a full reliability report as soon as I have an opportunity to take it out and run some ammo through it.

Thanks again all for your insight and opinions. They are very much appreciated.:)

RL357Mag 05-26-2008 03:35 AM

Hey Painted...before you invest in the Heritage .22 ask around here for info - I seem to remember a recent Guns & Ammo or Shooting Times article about problems with cylinder timing...just a thought.

painted_klown 05-26-2008 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 25417)
Hey Painted...before you invest in the Heritage .22 ask around here for info - I seem to remember a recent Guns & Ammo or Shooting Times article about problems with cylinder timing...just a thought.

Ok, Thanks for the tip. I will do some more research and see what I can dig up.:)