hey buddy can ya spare a dime? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > hey buddy can ya spare a dime?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

There's $120ish in my pocket, mostly twenties. The last time I cleaned the change from my car's armrest, there was over $50 in quarters alone. I try to use the in-car change at drive-thru's and such. I empty the change from my pockets when I first arrive home in a large wooden bowl.

I do remember running short of money and tasty snacks some years ago. I had $120ish in the change bowl and used it on groceries (including beverages).

I do not like change. If they nix the dollar bill for a dollar coin, I will probably go all debit card with a backup $50.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #62
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8321 Times on 4809 Posts
Likes Given: 10787

I was talking to my housemate about this thread and mentioned that I was surprised at the number of Y'All here who do not carry cash. She mentioned that I was a part of some sort of counter-culture that relies on cash before credit. That strikes me as really strange for a group of people on a firearms forum whom I would presume to be more self-reliant that that. I would swear that many of you have been advocating that people buy PMs as a hedge against economic failure which strikes me as something of a contradiction to the no-cash lifestyle. I guess that the credit system would evaporate when the economy fails so that would take care of your debt?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I was talking to my housemate about this thread and mentioned that I was surprised at the number of Y'All here who do not carry cash. She mentioned that I was a part of some sort of counter-culture that relies on cash before credit. That strikes me as really strange for a group of people on a firearms forum whom I would presume to be more self-reliant that that. I would swear that many of you have been advocating that people buy PMs as a hedge against economic failure which strikes me as something of a contradiction to the no-cash lifestyle. I guess that the credit system would evaporate when the economy fails so that would take care of your debt?
I have plenty of cash on hand, but I don't carry it. I live in hurricane country so I have to have it around, and it's mostly in small denominations. I also use a credit card, but it's paid off every month

Old 10-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I have plenty of cash on hand, but I don't carry it. I live in hurricane country so I have to have it around, and it's mostly in small denominations. I also use a credit card, but it's paid off every month
Back in the Y2K "scare" my wife asked me is she should take some cash out of the bank "Just in case". This would be in addition to the several thousand cash that we normally have on hand on any given day (plus my "Gun Fund" in cash- but she didn't know about that). My response was "Honey, we have more than enough ammo so we won't need any more cash."

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 10-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1232 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
I always carry cash, I do not buy ammo on a card, and you never know when you can get a better deal for cash, you just have to ask! Two LGS's I frequent gives a 3% discount for cash that's not big, but it adds up.
I uses cash for ammo as there is no telling who is watching the credit cards. I buy guns for cash due to the 3% discount for cash also.

I have a daughter who scoffs at my use of cash. She is a bright kid with a degree from the University of South Florida in Tampa. However she once accumulated 7 $30 each bounce charges for about $17 worth of debit card purchases. Since I use cash for small purchases, that is not likely to happen to me.

That about sums up why I carry and use cash.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 11-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #66

Liked 715 Times on 558 Posts

cash isnt the topic. coins is.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 11-02-2013, 03:03 AM   #67

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
Yes coins are the topic, but if you pay with cash, then you generally end up with and use coins.

Last edited by Tell_Sackett; 11-02-2013 at 04:20 AM.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post

Coins are cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell_Sackett View Post
Yea, but is you use cash you end up with and at least I use coins.
Izzit now? Whut?

Quote:

Old 11-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #69
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3194 Times on 2173 Posts
Likes Given: 696

We put all change into a Gallo 5 Gl. Bottle that belonged to my wife's grandad. Also the once in awhile "extra" paper $. Saving for 2 cruises: one to the pacific coast of Mexico(maybe, if they are not completely overwhelmed by gangs by next year) and one in 16 to Alaska. While that change won't pay for the trip, it will add to our spending $ for it. Our Alaska Trip is a reunion of our 2006 cruise trip to the southern Carrib.,and some of the same folk went with us to Bermuda in late '11.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #70
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6175 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 6554

I stopped doing the cash thing after I got married, cant keep cash on hand, Wife, Kid or someone else will just take it and I wont have it anyways! We have some on hand but not enough to do squat, hence we have little change. I do have a couple Money bags full of Pennies but thats for making anti-personnel Mines with if TSHTF!