Here's a new random question thread
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Here's a new random question thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Boots question thread

Since I have been on this forum, I have seen a lot of random questions and polls. So I have a new one. Kinda for personal information and also just to see what people think.

Since I am about to graduate with an electrical degree, I am going to have to buy steel toe boots to work in the industrial field. So here it is:

What do you think is the best steel toe work boots?

Lace up or slip on?

Let's see what people have to say....

Last edited by bkt_tater; 10-29-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2011, 02:37 AM   #2

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We already have two "random question" threads, one for supporting members, one for non-supporters. We need another?

Old 10-29-2011, 02:45 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, assuming you are in the field, with electrical workers, you will be part of a Union and have kit dictated to you.

When you get your first duty assignment, assuming it is anything like my shop, you will get a list of MANDATORY MINIMUM gear you need to take the call.

Don't mind Lon, his Rangers are getting drilled like Sasha Grey for the second straight game.

JD

PS - for the record: Wesco will get you the job, but Hoffman are extremely popular in the rain heavy PNW.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #4

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

Don't mind Lon, his Rangers are getting drilled like Sasha Grey for the second straight game.
Yeah, that's it.....

Old 10-29-2011, 02:55 AM   #5

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I vote lace up, you get a tighter fit and better support

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 10-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7344 Times on 4420 Posts
Likes Given: 9072

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
We already have two "random question" threads, one for supporting members, one for non-supporters. We need another?
We have two "Random Thoughts" threads, one in the Clubhouse, one in the Bunker. But there is a "Random Questions" thread started by 'yours truly' in the Clubhouse, too. I didn't like hijaking a whole thread because I had a question about one small aspect of the entire thread.

In my opinion, that's where all random questions should be posted that can be answered in one or two replies.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/random-questions-thread-43503/

Old 10-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #7

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to start a new random thought thread. It was late and i just got off work. I renamed the thread.... Better????

I was just trying to see what people thought about steel toe work boot. What brand they thought were more comfortable? Which is better for work boots, lace up or pull on?

Now can I get some thoughts on that? Sorry again that it caused such a fuss about it being a new random question thread.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I vote lace up, you get a tighter fit and better support
Quoted for truth.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9172 Times on 3960 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

I have 3 different pairs in the trunk of my company ride. Different environments.

Laceups will give you a better fit. I also have high top slip on engineer boots- for mining ops. Those are metatarsal guards- armor runs from the toes to few inches above the ankle.

DO wait and get the specs on gear you need. Sometimes you get a contribution towards boots, sometimes a preferred price from a vendor. There ARE non steel safety toed footwear that meet standands. Synthetic cap, lighter.

DO NOT go by a $49 pair of boots at Wally World. Have had to do that when traveling and suitcase with boots goes astray. Spend $$$, buy GOOD footwear, GOOD socks- your feet willl thank you.

While there will be different opinions, and different regional products, go to the Redwing store.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #10

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

depends on the work you're going to be doing, when I do tree work I have high lace up boot that cover most of my shine and lace all the way up so they don't come off, I have a pair of slip on's for working pretty much anywhere else.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED