Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Here's a new random question thread (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/heres-new-random-question-thread-50775/)

bkt_tater 10-29-2011 02:35 AM

Boots question thread

Since I have been on this forum, I have seen a lot of random questions and polls. So I have a new one. Kinda for personal information and also just to see what people think.

Since I am about to graduate with an electrical degree, I am going to have to buy steel toe boots to work in the industrial field. So here it is:

What do you think is the best steel toe work boots?

Lace up or slip on?

Let's see what people have to say....

lonyaeger 10-29-2011 02:37 AM

We already have two "random question" threads, one for supporting members, one for non-supporters. We need another?

Dillinger 10-29-2011 02:45 AM

Well, assuming you are in the field, with electrical workers, you will be part of a Union and have kit dictated to you.:cool:

When you get your first duty assignment, assuming it is anything like my shop, you will get a list of MANDATORY MINIMUM gear you need to take the call.

Don't mind Lon, his Rangers are getting drilled like Sasha Grey for the second straight game. :mad:

JD

PS - for the record: Wesco will get you the job, but Hoffman are extremely popular in the rain heavy PNW.

lonyaeger 10-29-2011 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 613732)

Don't mind Lon, his Rangers are getting drilled like Sasha Grey for the second straight game. :mad:

Yeah, that's it.....

MrWray 10-29-2011 02:55 AM

I vote lace up, you get a tighter fit and better support

winds-of-change 10-29-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 613724)
We already have two "random question" threads, one for supporting members, one for non-supporters. We need another?

We have two "Random Thoughts" threads, one in the Clubhouse, one in the Bunker. But there is a "Random Questions" thread started by 'yours truly' in the Clubhouse, too. I didn't like hijaking a whole thread because I had a question about one small aspect of the entire thread.

In my opinion, that's where all random questions should be posted that can be answered in one or two replies.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/random-questions-thread-43503/

bkt_tater 10-29-2011 10:35 AM

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to start a new random thought thread. It was late and i just got off work. I renamed the thread.... Better???? :p

I was just trying to see what people thought about steel toe work boot. What brand they thought were more comfortable? Which is better for work boots, lace up or pull on?

Now can I get some thoughts on that? Sorry again that it caused such a fuss about it being a new random question thread.

DrumJunkie 10-29-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWray (Post 613744)
I vote lace up, you get a tighter fit and better support

Quoted for truth.

c3shooter 10-29-2011 12:14 PM

I have 3 different pairs in the trunk of my company ride. Different environments.

Laceups will give you a better fit. I also have high top slip on engineer boots- for mining ops. Those are metatarsal guards- armor runs from the toes to few inches above the ankle.

DO wait and get the specs on gear you need. Sometimes you get a contribution towards boots, sometimes a preferred price from a vendor. There ARE non steel safety toed footwear that meet standands. Synthetic cap, lighter.

DO NOT go by a $49 pair of boots at Wally World. Have had to do that when traveling and suitcase with boots goes astray. Spend $$$, buy GOOD footwear, GOOD socks- your feet willl thank you.

While there will be different opinions, and different regional products, go to the Redwing store.

unclebear 10-29-2011 12:26 PM

depends on the work you're going to be doing, when I do tree work I have high lace up boot that cover most of my shine and lace all the way up so they don't come off, I have a pair of slip on's for working pretty much anywhere else.