Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Here goes my rant....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 04:04 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 684 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 1670

I used to work with a young lady who told me once that she knew how to rebuild transmissions by herself at age 17. Pays not to judge too quickly.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:07 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I usually do all my own mechanic work, what i have the tools and know how for that is. Keeps me from getting raped at the shop...lol
I do what i can out of sheer paranoia; i've heard too many stories about oil filters not being properly tightened & costing engines (Senatobia WALMART, et al). It also gives you a chance to look for what you will be working on next, rusty or crusty or failing. I have also had too many friends who worked at low rent oil change places that routinely substitute that recycled oil crap for whatever oil you ask for specifically. I use the German-bottled Castrol Syntec 0w30, NO SUBSTITUTIONS & prefer the WIX filters.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:13 AM   #13

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I always change my own oil.. 2ton floor jack, filter wrench, fram oil filter "PH16", 7qts of castol 5w-30, craftsman 3/8 ratchet w/ 13mm socket.. 10 minutes and done

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 12-21-2011, 04:13 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5258 Times on 2742 Posts
Likes Given: 331

I take my vehicles to the dealer let them change the oil 7$ more than me monkeying with it myself and 5$ more than the quicklube. But i dont have to muck with old filters and used oil or cleaning up the drive after spilling half of it on the cat...

I just dont trust highscool kids under my vehicles. Not after losing my prized beat to hell 1980 4cyl mustang to a quick oil change artist who didnt tighten the drain plug.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-21-2011, 04:28 AM   #15

Liked 684 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 1670

Ditto, Jon. I quit changing my own oil in the early 1990's when I got a car that had its filter in such an inconvenient location that the only way I could reach it was flat on my back, with my left hand only. I figure that my time is worth way more than the $5-$10 I'd save by doing it myself. (mainly because I inherited an astounding lack of mechanical skills from my Dad, and learned early on what to tackle myself, and what to hire an expert to do. I do stay away from the Jiffy-Lube type places, though.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:39 AM   #16
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1749 Times on 997 Posts
Likes Given: 3530

I am throwing a rant in on this auto parts nightmare. I have 02 VW GTI with Tiptronic transmission. Dealer will not fix the solenoid problem, drain the fluid (Will not fix the problem) or new transmission (New my rear - old bell housing and new guts), warranty for only 12 months or 12K for little under 6K.

Local dealership will not sell me or the one repair shop that could repair the transmission the parts, only online at specific aftermarket places or from their supplier. The shocking part is, of the many transmission shops in Albuquerque, only one is able to do it. They are contacting they're supplier for 09A solenoid kit, if they can get it!

Now, I look at new cars and trucks to fit in, a majority in my new price range has this so-called sport tronic style transmission(s). The list of vehicles that do fit, do not have the left room for manual shifting.

These same sport tronic transmission(s) will be causing the same issues years to come.

I am about to surf the used market for an old Ford Crown Vic.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:51 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 129 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I used to be a "mechanic" and quit it when I found most of them are conartists. That whole flush mumbo jumbo, not needed as long as you maintain your vehicle. I still do all my own work mostly because there are very few shops that I trust. I will even put my car on jackstands and take the wheels for new tires. Last place I let touch my wife's subaru overtorqued the lugnuts and warped all four rotors. And people wonder why its so expensive to own a vehicle.

Brian

Brian

Old 12-21-2011, 05:36 AM   #18

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpapa
I used to be a "mechanic" and quit it when I found most of them are conartists. That whole flush mumbo jumbo, not needed as long as you maintain your vehicle. I still do all my own work mostly because there are very few shops that I trust. I will even put my car on jackstands and take the wheels for new tires. Last place I let touch my wife's subaru overtorqued the lugnuts and warped all four rotors. And people wonder why its so expensive to own a vehicle.

Brian
I had a tire shop overtorque my lugnuts one time in 1997. I was driving the 1991 Nissan 300zx twin turbo that i had,The genius had stripped all of my lugnuts and on the way home my front right wheel came most of the way off

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #19

Liked 2198 Times on 992 Posts
Likes Given: 2133

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I always change my own oil.. 2ton floor jack, filter wrench, fram oil filter "PH16", 7qts of castol 5w-30, craftsman 3/8 ratchet w/ 13mm socket.. 10 minutes and done

Speaking as former professional mechanic you should reconsider the fram oil filter. Got to be one of the worst filters on the market. Just a little friendly advise.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #20

Liked 1656 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 1117

I worked in several tire change and lube shops when I was in my twenties. I try to do everything myself at home. I have a 30 year old K5 Blazer. But if anything goes wrong I can fix it myself. I have a performance distributor. The enigine quit on the way home a few days ago. It was a bad pick up coil. I have to pull the distributer. Disassmble it completely. Go to two different parts store to find a replacement, and work in the dark with a flash light. I couldnt push it up the hill to my garage. Still had it running the same day that it quit. My wife has a 2003 Kia Sedona. That is a different story. Her Air bag light came on. It was a bad seat belt buckle. It cost $250 for a seat belt buckle!!!!! I had to pay them to put it in because I couldnt reset the light myself anyway!!!!

I was always amazed at the retards they would hire to work with me in the different shops. I have had cars come back because somebody didnt tight the drain plug.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.