Help with the Wife!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Help with the Wife!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Help with the Wife!

Can you guys help me convince the wife into letting me buy a new shotgun for home defense? I have a Sig by the bed and a couple of hunting long guns. She thinks this is good enough and I do not need a short barreled shotgun. Do you guys have any articles/ youtube videos/ good argument for buying more guns. With this one I need black and white proof, not my opinion. I know some of you guys have a arsenal packed into your house. How do you get the wife on the same page? Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2010, 07:03 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

You can google home defense guns all day long and see articles where a shotgun makes good sense. Many point to the idea that they don't go through walls as easy as many pistol rounds and most rifle rounds can. And the shorter barrel makes perfect sense for trying to navigate tihgter spaces where a rifle or hunting shotgun can cause a lack of mobility.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #3

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub1686 View Post
Can you guys help me convince the wife into letting me buy a new shotgun for home defense? I have a Sig by the bed and a couple of hunting long guns. She thinks this is good enough and I do not need a short barreled shotgun. Do you guys have any articles/ youtube videos/ good argument for buying more guns. With this one I need black and white proof, not my opinion. I know some of you guys have a arsenal packed into your house. How do you get the wife on the same page? Thanks!
Have kids? Explain to her that shot gun pellets will not go through the walls like a handgun or rifle round can. Hunting rifles are not good HD guns (except as a last resort). Barrel is usually too long for moving through the house and a 2000+ fps round in your house is not a good thing, even when shooting at a bad guy.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-17-2010, 07:30 AM   #4

True that!!

I have seen a 9mm round go through two apartments walls before it stopped. And they are not near a hunting rifle's speed.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-17-2010, 07:38 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have no kids yet. This is good stuff! Keep it coming. How do you guys justify buying guns to your spouses?

Old 07-17-2010, 07:50 AM   #6

My wife used to have this thing about me only having two hands so why did I need more than two guns. But that was more to bust my hump than anything. I take her shooting sometimes and she likes it pretty well. She's a heck of a shot too. Though she point shoots and don't like using sights or optics. It works for her though so I guess if it aint broke...

Have you tried a little range time with the Mrs? It's worked with many a wife that didn't fully support a guys firearm addiction.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
My wife used to have this thing about me only having two hands so why did I need more than two guns. But that was more to bust my hump than anything. I take her shooting sometimes and she likes it pretty well. She's a heck of a shot too. Though she point shoots and don't like using sights or optics. It works for her though so I guess if it aint broke...

Have you tried a little range time with the Mrs? It's worked with many a wife that didn't fully support a guys firearm addiction.
Be careful with that strategy, Scubie and Shihan have both lost guns to the Mrs.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post

Thats a good idea. I still have not been to the range with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Be careful with that strategy, Scubie and Shihan have both lost guns to the Mrs.
What do you mean lost?

Old 07-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub1686 View Post
Thats a good idea. I still have not been to the range with her.

What do you mean lost?
As in...oh I really like this, I'm keeping this gun for myself.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Only if I can buy another!