Help with a special gun purchase
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Help with a special gun purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help with a special gun purchase

Hello to all -

I'm new to this forum, but figured this would be a great place to ask my question.

Every Father's Day for the past few years, I buy my husband a new firearm. He's very tight when it comes to spending money on himself and although he'd love to have every gun ever known to man, he sticks with buying very basic (read boring) protection.

Last year I bought him a Remington 870 Marine Magnum. To say he was happy doesn't even begin to explain how much he liked that shotgun.

So, here's my question. If you could buy ANY gun (under $800-$1000) what would you choose?

So far I've been thinking of getting him a Glock 23 or 23C with a LaserMax site. But first of all, I can't seem to find any in stock and secondly, I can't decide which one is best - the 23 or the 23C.

Please don't give me a hard time if I sound uneducated about the subject, because I am. I'm not anywhere near to knowing what my husband does. I'm just a wife of 23 years who wants to have a happy and surprised husband.

Any help or advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

PorterGal

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay, first off YOU RULE and your husband is a very lucky man. Can I send my fiancee' over for some pointers? LOL

Now on to the question at hand here. What kind of shooting does your husband do? Does he mostly paper target shooting? If so, what kind? Pistol or Rifle? Does he hunt?

Next question I would ask is what kind of a gun guy is he? If you have been married for 23 years, I am assuming he is in, at least, his early forties. Is a new age, plastic type of gun guy? Or is he more of a traditional cold blue steel in the palm of my hand gun guy? I guess the easy way to answer is, does he love new gadgets, or does his work bench have a bunch of stuff from years gone by that he relies on to "get the job done right".

As for the Glock - It's a love it or hate it firearm. Those that love it, didn't learn to love it, they used it and it was suddenly the greatest thing ever. Those of us that do not like it, used it/ qualified with it and decided it was not for us. I fall into the second category, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good gun for your husband, it just means a guy on an internet forum doesn't like it. They are a combination of plastic and steel construction, with a staggered box magazine, so the handle is a little wider than on a single stack firearm. If your husband has good sized hands, this shouldn't be a problem, but if not, the added width will make it hard to use properly.

The 23C has a compensated barrel, which means gasses vent through the top of the slide when you fire it. If you aren't used to that sort of thing, it can be a little alarming the first few times as those gases will be right in your sight picture. The 23 is a standard pistol with normal venting via the barrel and the blowback to discharge the shell.

Both are fine guns if you like the Glock models. They are easy to use, very basic in assembly/disassembly and a piece that is made for the masses.

For my personal money - If I was going to spend $800 to $1000 on a new pistol I don't think I could spend the money without buying another 1911. Something from Kimber's line up, or even the Taurus PT1911 as it has a true lifetime warranty. The 1911 is also an acquired taste and people either love it or hate it. I personally have never found a better fitting handgun for my hands and I have several already, as evidenced by my photo gallery.

Last thing I would say is that buying a firearm for someone is a very personal choice and not an easy one. Think of your husband trying to buy you an evening gown or choose the right hairstyle for you - it's not as easy as it sounds. But, with a little information and a keen eye I am sure you will make Father's Day another success.

Best of luck in your research!

JD

Old 05-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Okay, first off YOU RULE and your husband is a very lucky man. Can I send my fiancee' over for some pointers? LOL
JD -

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me such a long reply. It really helped me out a lot.

To begin with - I wouldn't call my husband lucky - he puts up with plenty from me, but after 23 years, we've finally figured things out I wish you all the best with your future marriage!

He is in his mid-40's and likes his guns to be solid. Plastic isn't something that thrills him, unless he knows it's proven to be sturdy and will hold up to almost anything. He's the kind of guy who tests everything we buy by leaning on it, jiggling it and checking to see how much "give" it has. For years I've built furniture with wood and I've learned that ever piece had better not jiggle to pass his test He is a very traditional guy and tends to like a more compact handgun that fits nicely in the hand and can be carried easily, rather than something bulky and difficult to handle.

When he's buying for himself, he's always very practical and tries to buy the best of the cheapest. That's why I buy fun and something that allows him to "puff his chest out" to his buddies. Although I can't stand a person who is like that all the time, everyone should be able to have that feeling every once in awhile. Don't you think?

Also, most of his hand guns are revolvers. He talks about getting an automatic or semi-automatic, but hasn't spent the money yet.

I do know that most guns are a love/hate relationship. But if I get some suggestions, then I can do some research and will be able to tell what he'll like best.

I'm on my way to see what information I can find on the guns you suggested.
Thanks again for your help and your time. It will make shopping for him so much easier!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #4

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Why not just take him to the gun shop and let him choose one. This would make sure he gets something he likes and would use.

A lady like you is rare in life and a man would be very lucky to find one, so with that said do you by chance have a sister who is single and a lot like you are?

Old 05-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #5

JD -

I'm sorry, I forgot to ask - what type of laser sights do you recommend? That's something else he doesn't have and I thought it would be fun to try out.

Thanks again!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
Why not just take him to the gun shop and let him choose one. This would make sure he gets something he likes and would use.

A lady like you is rare in life and a man would be very lucky to find one, so with that said do you by chance have a sister who is single and a lot like you are?
opaww -

I'd love to take him shopping for one, but I know him well enough to know that he would do something like spend half the money on a cheaper gun and tell me to spend the rest. I get plenty of "things" and hate to see him never spending on himself. This is why giving him such a present is so much fun for me. There's nothing better than watching him open a really great present!

As for me, after 23 years, I realize that a happy husband is much more enjoyable than having a man who you battle with nonstop. Being a constant nag is so boring and a role I've never wanted. I do have a sister - but she and I are as alike as oil and vinegar. I love her dearly, but we simply don't think, act or look alike. But don't think I'm trying to fool anyone about myself - my hubby has put up with plenty from me - I'm probably the cause of the gray hairs he has!

Thanks so much for your suggestion - I do wish I could take him shopping, but I know the man too well to do that!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #7

I just want to dito JD. He's a VERY VERY VERY VERY lucky man. Not putting down my wife, but you and her should get together for coffee.

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

If he's a traditional man, then take a look at the Civilian Marksmanship Program and pick him up a M1 Garand or a M1 Carbine. You can also get surplus ammo from them. Just read the website and see if you or he have the qualifications needed to purchase from them. Ex or current military or law enforcement or if he or you have a concealed weapon permit. Check links out here for more information.

Civilian Marksmanship Program

Eligibility requirements

The M1 Garand

The M1 Carbine

Ammo

9x18=Makarov

Old 05-22-2008, 06:58 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterGal View Post
JD -

I'm sorry, I forgot to ask - what type of laser sights do you recommend?
PorterGal - To be honest, I don't recommend laser sights much at all personally. First off, they don't really work in any bright light, unless get the new wavelength green lasers, which are cool, but 1) Expensive and 2) See the next point. The thing with any laser that most people don't factor in is that they point TWO ways. When you use it to point out the bad guy in any low light condition, you also allow him a narrow beam that is easy to follow right back to your gun, and that means right to you.

What I actually prefer is a tactical flashlight if you must have a frame mounted toy on your pistol. With one of the really bright tactical lights you have a very bright, debilitating source that takes the edge away from the attacker, which is one of the key reasons the police have always carried the biggest, baddest, brightest lights available. You get the much needed light to see everything that is going on beyond your gun and around your subject, without subjecting yourself to the same situation.

Let me know what you think and what way you want to go and I can recommend some thoughts either way. There are several former and current police members here as well who will definitely be a great source of info.

JD

Old 05-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables View Post
I just want to dito JD. He's a VERY VERY VERY VERY lucky man. Not putting down my wife, but you and her should get together for coffee.

Me to what jd and jables24947 said you are a great wife to give your husband such a thoughtful gift

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT