Help me choose a camera......... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Help me choose a camera.........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Sony has finally knuckled under and decided to go with XD cards like everyone else. Check em out.
Thanks for the info; it's about time they did that! I still think I would stick with a Canon or Nikon...
Old 01-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #12
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7984 Times on 4791 Posts
Likes Given: 10266

Okay. It's down to these two unless anyone has any other suggestions. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two cameras. I am going to post some very beautiful, big, clear pictures of my guns real soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Digital-Camera-2-7-inch/dp/B0073HSIY8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=32Z4E1PJBVFH 8&coliid=I2MM1S54BNS740

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Stabilized-Wide-Angle-Recording/dp/B0075SUHQC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=32Z4E1PJBVFH 8&coliid=IVWAIQKLW38T5

Both of them are small, take macro photos so C3 can give me more information about my new (old) Browning FN I acquired from my Dad. Also, they come in different colors. In fact, they both come in.......oh, never mind. I have a $50 Amazon gift certificate so I only have to pay the difference.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #13

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I have heard people talk about the coolpix pretty highly but I haven't heard too many talking about the cannon. Have you read any reviews online?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556 View Post
I have heard people talk about the coolpix pretty highly but I haven't heard too many talking about the cannon. Have you read any reviews online?
Yes. Both got pretty good reviews on Amazon.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Okay. It's down to these two unless anyone has any other suggestions. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two cameras. I am going to post some very beautiful, big, clear pictures of my guns real soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Digital-Camera-2-7-inch/dp/B0073HSIY8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=32Z4E1PJBVFH 8&coliid=I2MM1S54BNS740

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Stabilized-Wide-Angle-Recording/dp/B0075SUHQC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=32Z4E1PJBVFH 8&coliid=IVWAIQKLW38T5

Both of them are small, take macro photos so C3 can give me more information about my new (old) Browning FN I acquired from my Dad. Also, they come in different colors. In fact, they both come in.......oh, never mind. I have a $50 Amazon gift certificate so I only have to pay the difference.
If you have Amazon Prime the Canon will save you shipping and get it here sooner. Other than that I can't see a clear-cut advantage of one over the other. My personal choice would be the Nikon based on experience with the brand.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Thank you so much, Doc342. I have a very, very old Nikon FE 35 mm SLR that I loved for many years. When I got a digital about 7 years ago, I researched it pretty heavily and found that while Nikon was the 'best' in 35 mm, Canon had it hands down on the digital cameras. In reading the reviews on Amazon, it seems the Canon was more liked by it's users than the Nikon, but not by a whole lot. I'm leaning towards the Canon. I'm still researching but I think I'm going to buy some time today. I am a slow shopper. I don't like rushing into anything and possibly getting something I don't like because I didn't research enough.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #17

Liked 1250 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 396

I agree with Doc, I don't see much of a difference between the two and don't think you will either. That said, I bought the Canon for my mom for Christmas although I don't remember if it was the A2300 or the A3300 but I was all set on a Canon ELPH for about $150 then I saw the one I ended up getting at Best Buy for just under $100 and held it in my hand and it was solidly built and fast with very little lag between when you press the button and it takes the picture. Still a small lag from taking to seeing the picture on the screen but short of a DSLR or paying more than double, you won't see much of a difference. I like Nikon for DSLR's but I like Canon's menu system on their point and shoots.

I have an Eye-fi card and love it, you should check them out. Get a refurb for half the money, they work just as well.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #18

Liked 1139 Times on 741 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

I looked at the tech specs on the actual manufacturers web sites to do a little comparison . both are pretty equivalent cameras but the Nikon does shine over the Canon with a better flash distance and it does have more onboard editing than the canon . This stuff is available from canon if you know how to put it on the camera by down loading the hacks from canon . My choice would be the Nikon , simply because of the flash alone , nothing worse than bad low light pics to ruin your needs in a camera . Nikon P&S cameras have been know to have better flash distances than most any P&S cameras out there
Also looks like the Canon is going to be a bit quicker on startup than the Nikon , essentially as soon as you turn the canon on its ready to snap a shot the nikon is going to lag a bit

This was a Nikon L18 I converted to trail camera that tree is roughly 40 ft away , yes the snow helps with flash reflection and helps brighten it up but some of my others would have only flashed half that far and the tree would not have looked like that

Last edited by purehavoc; 01-07-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I have an Eye-fi card and love it, you should check them out. Get a refurb for half the money, they work just as well.
I briefly looked at what an eye-fi card was. It appears that is something to put the pictures on a smart phone. Is that right? If it is, I don't have a smart phone.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #20

Liked 1250 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I briefly looked at what an eye-fi card was. It appears that is something to put the pictures on a smart phone. Is that right? If it is, I don't have a smart phone.
It's an SD card which nearly all modern digital cameras take and it has built in wi-fi. You can use it to copy pictures to any computer/smartphone/tablet that you choose as long as that device is either connected to the internet or connected via wi-fi to the card. It does slighly shorten battery life and that's the big negative as well as transmitting your pictures through the eye-fi servers. They don't share your pictures but the possibility technically exists that your photos are being seen by others because they go through a third parties servers.

Example 1: I take a picture of my daughter around the house and then turn the camera off. 5 minutes later i check my computer and the picture is already on it.

Example 2: I am going on a vacation, to save battery life I tell my camera not to use eye-fi upload for now. I take all my pictures on vacation and when I return home I turn on wi-fi upload, 20 minutes later all my pictures are on my computer.

Example 3(this won't apply to you without a smartphone): I take a picture and my phone is in my pocket. Within seconds the picture is on my phone and on my home computer and because the eye-fi card saw that it was over 50% full it deletes the oldest picture it has sent from the card. Now I will never run out of space because it will send the pictures I take to my home and then delete them off my camera.

I just checked the wi-fi site. If this is something you are interested in, I would get the Nikon, it's "more compatible" which is to say it has a menu option to turn enable/disable the eye-fi transmission which helps on battery life. It will work in the Canon but you can't tell it to not try and transmit even when you know you are out of range, so if the camera is on it will try.

The next camera you buy after this one, will likely have this capability built into it. Already some do have wi-fi built in but not in the under $100 price range.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson