Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Help me choose a camera.........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6762 Times on 4086 Posts
Likes Given: 8096

Default Help me choose a camera.........

I am in the market for a small, throw in your pocket and go type camera. I have a semi-fancy digital Cannon but it's not easy to carry around and I don't like to fuss with it. Also, my computer doesn't recognize it so I can't upload pictures onto my computer with it. I got it when I heard I was going to be a grandma but now I want a "point and shoot". I know technology has come a long way in the almost 7 years since I bought my last digital camera. C3 is tired of driving to my house whenever I have a question about one of my guns because I can only post lousy pictures. Anyway, you guys can't see the true beauty of my firearms with my fuzzy cell phone pictures.

Because of my financial situation, I would like it to be reasonably priced. I have a $50 gift certificate to Amazon.com and would like to use that. I am willing to pitch in maybe $50 more of my own money.

Can you guys give me any recommendations? What experiences have you had with your own cameras? What do you like and dislike?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

As far as the Canon goes...if your computer has difficulty recognizing it, you may consider getting an inexpensive card reader at the store that you can plug into your USB port. That way you can easily upload and enjoy your photos. I have a Canon DSLR and at some point my computer stopped recognizing it...I think it may have been a driver problem. Anyway, it was just easier to use the card reader.

I have a little Sony point and shoot that I rarely use for places like amusement parks where I wouldn't lug the other one around. The pros are that it does reasonably well in low light, is easy to use, and is in your price range. The con with Sony is that they have these little memory sticks that no other company uses. You can only interchange them with other Sony cameras. Some computers that have memory card slots built in don't have a slot for the memory sticks (Sony computers do of course.) You can still install a driver and hook up the USB cord though.

Personally, if I was going to get another point and shoot I would probably get a little Canon or Nikon that uses a more common memory card size. Also, I would take larger lens size and optical zoom over more megapixels any day.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:55 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 783 Times on 478 Posts
Likes Given: 160

I haven't kept up on the P&S Camera's but bought one for my daughter a few years ago by looking at Amazon reviews. The camera took some awesome pictures, I was impressed, and I've had dozens of photos published

Old 01-01-2013, 03:12 AM   #4

Liked 676 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I have a canon 7D and an iPhone for everything else. Both work like a charm.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I would go with either a Nikon or Canon point and shoot. I tend to avoid Sony because of their software.

Someone in the thread suggested you get a smart card reader. I second that idea. There is no sense in killing your camera battery to transfer pictures. Also, a low or dying camera battery can corrupt the picture files during transfer resulting in the loss of the picture forever. Using a card reader also allows you to load pics on your computer without installing the camera software. I see that as a real plus, but others prefer using the camera software for editing. With a card reader at least you have a choice.

For a pocket camera I prefer using one that runs on AA batteries. They are available anywhere, they fit darn near any pocket, and you are not dependent on having access to a wall plug for your charger.

Megapixels. Most people will tell you that the more megapixels, the crisper the pic. This is usually only necessary if you plan to blow the pic up to monster proportions. For most of us any resolution over 10 mp is wasted, but it's hard to find a camera with 10 or less. Don't choose a camera based solely on megapixel count.

Focus. If you want to be able to take close-ups of gun markings you should get something with a macro setting. Most cameras have this, but check to make sure.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #6

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

I have a Nikon S4000 that I like. It's $93.95 on Amazon. It's easy to use and takes good pictures.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #7

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 233

I got a Fujifilm Finepix T at Walmart for about $80 on sale. It's an OK camera. A little better than my iPhone.

PatMan

"You'll put your eye out, kid"

”You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
~Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my future bumper sticker.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #8

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
As far as the Canon goes...if your computer has difficulty recognizing it, you may consider getting an inexpensive card reader at the store that you can plug into your USB port. That way you can easily upload and enjoy your photos. I have a Canon DSLR and at some point my computer stopped recognizing it...I think it may have been a driver problem. Anyway, it was just easier to use the card reader.

I have a little Sony point and shoot that I rarely use for places like amusement parks where I wouldn't lug the other one around. The pros are that it does reasonably well in low light, is easy to use, and is in your price range. The con with Sony is that they have these little memory sticks that no other company uses. You can only interchange them with other Sony cameras. Some computers that have memory card slots built in don't have a slot for the memory sticks (Sony computers do of course.) You can still install a driver and hook up the USB cord though.

Personally, if I was going to get another point and shoot I would probably get a little Canon or Nikon that uses a more common memory card size. Also, I would take larger lens size and optical zoom over more megapixels any day.
Sony has finally knuckled under and decided to go with XD cards like everyone else. Check em out.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #9

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1996

I own several P&S cameras since I build my own trail cameras out of these. I get to find out who takes the best pics, day , night , bright light, low light , flash distance etc. In all honesty I have a Nikon L18 that takes excellent pics , has a superior flash on it for a P&S camera, It however didnt work well as a trail camera with the extending lens in cold weather it would break the teeth off the gears trying to open the lens. If your looking for something rugged and durable I dont suggest one of these but maybe find something without a extending lens . Fuji I have not had great luck with and I have owned about 6 of those . They do take great pics but the longevity of the cameras were not great . Nikons , Sonys and Canon are what I use for every day P&S cameras , I like my nikon for low light and dark, I love the day time pics of the canon and there are many hacks you can do on these cameras for upgrades if you have the software to do so , and the Sony I have is a older S600 and it is the best P&S camera I own and I will post a pic and show you why .
If I had to do it all over again I would go canon , nikon and sony in that order .

Hope that helps

Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #10

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1996

This one is with a S600 superior flash that deer is about 25 ft from the camera and those trees in the back ground are roughly 40 ft