help with husqvarna ztr
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > help with husqvarna ztr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6614 Times on 3513 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Default help with husqvarna ztr

ive got a husqvarna ez4824 zero turn mower. its a great yard tool. buuuutttttt its got a super annoying feature. i have to put the brake on to start it and take the brake off to operate the handles. if i dont do either in the right order the engine dies due to annoying safety switches.

since im not stupid and dont start it when im not sitting in the seat the brake safety is annoying the living hell out of me. i cant figure out how to disable it

any help would be appreciated

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #2

Liked 380 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I do not have the answer! I have a scag that has the same safety. I just got use to it.

Thomas

Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9080 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

The switch is most likely located on the brake pedal. Look for a switch on the pedal somewhere that has two wires coming out of it, it should have a plug to the switch. Unplug it. If it won't start with it unplugged make a jumper from one wire to the other. It should start now.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Thanks that makes sense. Ill look for that as the wiring diagram i found says the coil wire goes right to a connection with the brake.

If the brake is on all the time switch wise when i move the arms in to make it go its prolly going to die.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #5

Not so. I suspect that the brake switch is in the starter motor circuit (in the wiring diagram it will be a wire from the ignition switch to the brake pedal and then to the starter solenoid which is probably mounted on the starter itself) not in the ignition coil circuit. The switch that incorporated the ignition coil circuit is probably the one that kills the motor when you operate the motion levers if the brake is applied. It could be just one switch with 4 wires going to it in which case you have to determine which one goes to the starter and which one goes to the coil. Leave the coil ones alone.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Beswitched......

First off, make sure that what you do does not void your warranty. Next you'll want to take each switch that has to be engaged and tape them in the engaged position....... For eggszample the switch under the seat.......Engauge the switch then use electrical tape to keep it in that position.......Comprendey........

Old 04-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #7

Liked 855 Times on 553 Posts
Likes Given: 997

Safety Features? What are those?

I found a diagram: http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=husqvarna&mn=EZ+4824+BI+%28968999513%29+%28200 6-06%29&dn=30460013

It looks to me like theres a seat switch and a brake switch, I dont see why you couldnt do as Viking said and bypass the two switches...
It looks simple enough, but I dont really mess with stuff that modern, so I dont know if anything else would be affected... ?

Just thought of this: You might have to live with the brake switch.. due to it having being engaged to start it, and disengaged to operate it...
I Dont know??

Last edited by Trez; 04-10-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #8

Looked at the diagram but since I can't see the whole thing without having to scroll up and down and zoom in and out it is a little difficult.

Unplug the connector from the brake switch. Jumper the yellow wires together with a jumper wire and leave the other two wires open. That should solve the trouble. Do not cut or alter the original wiring. I would advise against messing with the seat switch because if there is ever a case where you are unseated accidentally, it will keep you from getting your A** mowed. Nearly happened to a guy I know (it wouldn't have bothered me if he did get mowed) but as he explained it he was mowing a side-hill (stupid fool) and rolled it, the mower went over him in the air, blades spinning.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

yeah i want the other features left alone. but i did succeed thanks to your help in disabling the brake safety. i jumpered the solenoid wires, the two yellow ones, and left the brake switch harness unplugged and it operates exactly like i want it now!!

engine dies if i get off the seat with the blades going. but stays running and starts regardless of the position of the brake handle.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
yeah i want the other features left alone. but i did succeed thanks to your help in disabling the brake safety. i jumpered the solenoid wires, the two yellow ones, and left the brake switch harness unplugged and it operates exactly like i want it now!!

engine dies if i get off the seat with the blades going. but stays running and starts regardless of the position of the brake handle.
Glad to help. Just be sure to put everything back to stock if you take it in the be serviced.